Thumbs up Newbie Just Starting out in the reseller game!

Hello everyone I am glad I found this forum. I am an old timer 41 years old who has been a data/telecommunications engineer since the age of 17. (1981) Long Story....Air Force training. I started out hosting old BBS systems before there was a true internet. Anyway............

I have many different domains that I have maintained for many years now. It got to the point where I had 20 something domain names spread out over 4 name registrars, with my last consolodated isp being nomonthlyfees.com.

I have nothing bad to say about nomonthlyfees.com, and I sure the heck am not here to promote them. But for at least 3 years now they provided me with 650mb storage, 2.5gb transfer, and all the goodies except add-on domains and fantastico for 70 bucks per year, per domain. In the beginning they charged 200 bucks up front, and then guarenteed the 70 bucks per year for life after that. I was such a good customer they even threw in bonus yearly domains for me.

However, it got to the point where it was a nightmare managing so many domains seperatly. I then started looking for one provider and one account I could use where I could manage all of my domains. I picked hostgiga. What a mistake that was. About two weeks after paying one year up front I get an email saying it was being sold to noc24, and well there are other threads on here that talk about what happened with noc24. I just got my money back after calling their credit card processor directly and explaining to them what happened.

In my research of finding the ultimate host, I stumbled across this forum. I realized, heck, why beat em........join em. I realized that it would be much easier getting a reseller account, putting my domains on the reseller account, and starting up a new business on top of that that may give me a little extra money to pay for the increased gas cost these days

So I want to say hello to all of the other resellers on here. I have registered a couple of killer domain names for my new business. I have picked a host for my reseller account who I shall not name. I have branded my dns servers. I am currently desiging my new site. Once the site is designed I will purchase WHM autopilot to run my accounts, etc.

Hopefully, one day, I will have my own server or two at a local data center, but for now, I got to start somewhere.

Anyway, thanks all, and I look forward to conversing with everyone on here!
    Norm
    www.iHostKing.com/
    Internet Hosting & Design

Hi Norm and welcome to the forums. Good luck on your venture and don't worry, I am an old timer too (43).....Take care

Thanks

Ya I am feeling old. I was trying to explain to a 20 something guy how in the "old days" we had to dial up into a dedicated mini-mainframe-or pc when they came out, at 75bps, and how it was a big deal when FIDO came out and BBS's were networked together.

He had a big blank stare on his face. It's amazing the development of technology in the past 20 years!!
    Norm
    www.iHostKing.com/

Hi,

I suggest you look around the forums. You'll find lots of resellers who you will like. To get started, try these top ones:

hostgator.com
    site5.com
    resellerzoom.com
    rochen.com

I prefer the first 2.
    Techy Bubble

A Truly Remarkable Web Hosting Is Coming Soon! We won't change the world or anything. We will just make it better....

Welcome to WHT! It sounds like you have had a good technological history as far as your life goes, you should fit right in!

It is good that you have future plans for expansion, and understand that it won't happen overnight! That's a good positive for you, because unfortunately some people think they will become millionaires over night .. and are crushed when they determine the truth

Once again, welcome to WHT -- I'm sure you will enjoy your stay!
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

Re: Newbie Just Starting out in the reseller game!

Originally posted by iHostKing
    In my research of finding the ultimate host, I stumbled across this forum. I realized, heck, why beat em........join em. I realized that it would be much easier getting a reseller account, putting my domains on the reseller account, and starting up a new business on top of that that may give me a little extra money to pay for the increased gas cost these days
    Reseller accounts are definitely a great way to start your own small web hosting business. I hope you succeed! I've been visiting WHT for over 5 years and I can assure you that you'll always find a wealth of new information here at WHT. Keep us updated on your hosting ventures.

IceStorm.com - Top Provider of Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, and Cloud VPS Plans.
    Why IceStorm? Two Words: Proven Reliability.

Yea, A reseller helps you know what you are getting into. You always have your host behind you waiting to help you. So its nice, you have enough time to develop & market your services without worrying about the technical aspect.... eg. What version of Cpanel is the latest & what news hacks are available which you must instal.
    Techy Bubble

A Truly Remarkable Web Hosting Is Coming Soon! We won't change the world or anything. We will just make it better....

Thanks for the fine words everyone! Now on to building the website!
    Norm
    www.iHostKing.com/

Welcome and good luck. Make sure your website is bullet proof before going live. Too many newbies start out with their websites not finished and wonder why they do not get any sign-ups.

Also, you should already now think about a marketing plan to promote the website.

Christoph
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by iHostKing
    Ya I am feeling old. I was trying to explain to a 20 something guy how in the "old days" we had to dial up into a dedicated mini-mainframe-or pc when they came out, at 75bps, and how it was a big deal when FIDO came out and BBS's were networked together.

He had a big blank stare on his face. It's amazing the development of technology in the past 20 years!!
    I remember configuring FIDO (or something along that line... it's been... more than 10 years since then) for my BBS users... and I'm '20 something'
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs