MediaTemple.net - What makes them so great?

http://www.mediatemple.net/company/clients/

It seems like a lot of "nicely designed" sites are clients of media template - and proud of it too (links back to media template).

I don't see what makes media template stand out above the other big hosts (and rarely see "hosted by bighost#2")
    www.Yekaroo.com - Your Chinese Radio Online!

Media Temple created an "elite" brand. It's perfect marketing.

All they do is give free hosting to any site that designs nice websites. I wouldn't be surprised if they "PAY" to host famous design sites. That's why all the design firms use them.
    I have servers at: NetDepot/GNAX (A), SoftLayer (A), LiquidWeb (B+), DedicatedNow (B+), Nectartech (B) and more!

Wow, I must say they have a very spiffy design. Excellent marketing for people looking to host their design site.

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I wonder if HostRocket is going to sue MediaTemple for using the term 'Rollover Bandwidth'
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Originally posted by reanncw
    I wonder if HostRocket is going to sue MediaTemple for using the term 'Rollover Bandwidth'
    I'm sure that won't happen

Their web site is awesome! Looks very crisp and professional.

Originally posted by universal2001
    All they do is give free hosting to any site that designs nice websites. I wouldn't be surprised if they "PAY" to host famous design sites. That's why all the design firms use them.
    Didn't know that.. that explains my questions. Thanks

Yeah there are a lot of sites that seem normal but are extremely popular

They created an image that creates chatter like this, which spreads the word which ingrains the brand into peoples brains which makes them even more well known. Who needs advertising when you're a _virus_. Like they say, even bad press is press. So who cares?

Virus. hehehe... Yeah...

I don't get the virus part..? But yea, I know what you mean =]

Kind of like religion. A social virus. Breeding in peoples minds, spreading... Also reminds me a little of that movie "VIRUS" with those meat hungry mechanical terrors. (Except in the case of Media Temple it's more like "Pointy Haired Vegetarian Cyborgs")

No offense to (mt) or other Vegetarian Cyborgs.

In addition to what's been said, they also run and operate their own data center.

Originally posted by Velostream
    In addition to what's been said, they also run and operate their own data center.
    That usually helps get the big biys.

Originally posted by Velostream
    That's not entirely correct...

Originally posted by WireNine
    I'm sure that won't happen
    Why would you think it wouldn't happen? Because HostRocket can't afford it, or because you think they'll be nice?

I'm surprise that MT is using a trademark of another company to be honest. Who knows, perhaps their marketing guy doesn't know about HR's TM, but I doubt it.
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

Originally posted by Cygnostik
    That's not entirely correct...
    Really? Enlighten me then. It helps if you are going to point out a fallacy in someone's post, then backup your statement.

I imagine you're making an assumption based on the section of the MT site where it describes the datacenter. It is basically accurate though you'll note it does not say they own the datacenter. They have some cages with Alchemy.net. To call it their own datacenter is incorrect. It's a simple fact.

omg.

(mt) Media Temple: Datacenter Profile PDF @ Amazon for $3500

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...DKIKX0DER&st=*

Aside from being an interesting scam, the reviews mangle terminalogy. They're certainly not a 'datacenter provider' whatever that means. I've been there.

(personally the book sounds like fiction, to me)
    Last edited by Cygnostik; 05-04-2005 at 06:14 PM.

There is misinformation in this thread. (mt) Media Temple is not a datacenter provider, nor do we provide collocation services. The company does however have its own data center space. I am an official spokesperson from the company and the following is fact:

For the last year (mt) Media Temple, in conjunction with Alchemy communications (our current colo facility provider), has been constructing its own data center space at the Garland building in downtown Los Angeles. (mt) Media Temple has invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in new building power, UPS systems, cooling systems, offices, its own NOC, several high-powered routers, and over 3,000 U in rack space. All things a “real data center” has. The new center is now complete, which is amazing by the way, and is our own space with our own dedicated chillers, power panels, secure entrances, our own NOC, etc.

Hosting companies focused on service oriented shared and VPS hosting such as ours are better served focusing on the servers not the facility. Everything else is a distraction - so why have it? We make investments in the highest quality hardware, software, and bandwidth available because this is what delivers an end product to our customers. Also, note that unlike *many* competing hosting providers, we own our entire IP address space – a component that is much more significant.

The Datacenter profile on Amazon is real. It was conducted by an intense review of (mt) Media Temple by the IDC (http://www.idc.com) - one of the most credible names and sources on the Internet.
    Media Team
    (mt) Media Temple

I bet the new facility is striking! Going to have to keep an eye on the site down the road to see if it gets shown off.

The "Data Center Provider" remarks in the description of the profile of MT is pretty damned funny though. It's like people just go around making up terminology.

They certainly have a nice, attractive, well laid-out site. I haven't tried their service, but I imagine it's pretty good, based on the professionalism exhibited by the site.

A company's site really says a lot about their company, contrary to the apathy of small hosting company operators, who think that using a template from TemplateMonster will suffice for their site, and at the same time command a great deal of respect and admiration -- and, of course, new customers -- for their company. They are often shocked when in fact the opposite happens.

I was actually just thinking about that today. How could a hosting company (especially in such numbers) grab a templatemonster site, slap it up there and expect to get business? You can't take a host like that seriously. It's got to be a dead giveaway to 50% of potential customers... Especially when so often it isn't implimented very well either.

Hehe, anyway, didn't mean to threadjack.

I was actually just thinking about that today. How could a hosting company (especially in such numbers) grab a templatemonster site, slap it up there and expect to get business? You can't take a host like that seriously. It's got to be a dead giveaway to 50% of potential customers... Especially when so often it isn't implimented very well either.
    It's usually either one of two things:

1) They're not very business savvy;
    2) They simply don't care.

Some people could just care less, and are just looking to make a quick buck (or several hundred, or even several thousand), but not to develop, run, and expand a serious, prospering business for the future. Others sincerely do care, but are just not informed enough or gifted with some of the entrepreneurial "talents" -- if they can be called that -- and senses that some are.

Hehe, anyway, didn't mean to threadjack.
    No worries; it happens in almost every thread here, and it's become an acceptable fate that thread posters choose to risk upon the creation of their thread. It's a way of life for us trolls. Err...

(Just kidding about that last part.)

Aside from being an interesting scam, the reviews mangle terminalogy. They're certainly not a 'datacenter provider' whatever that means. I've been there.

(personally the book sounds like fiction, to me)
    No where does it say anything like that.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

hehe, uhm, the amazon link?

"(mt) Media Temple illustrates the requirements of a public datacenter provider in terms of reliability, scalability, and security."

hehe, uhm, the amazon link?

"(mt) Media Temple illustrates the requirements of a public datacenter provider in terms of reliability, scalability, and security."
    But how does it suggest that (mt) Media Temple is the datacenter provider itself?

what makes them great is because they always sponsor the best designers website, and they are really pro...!!!
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design

Originally posted by reanncw
    But how does it suggest that (mt) Media Temple is the datacenter provider itself?
    oofff... cccoouurrrssseee....

After reading through the whole page in a rush/multitasking I read it in a different way.

Thanks for putting some light on it.

oofff... cccoouurrrssseee....

After reading through the whole page in a rush/multitasking I read it in a different way.

Thanks for putting some light on it.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's okay =)

The (mt) brand is a real neet one. I couldnt have done it much better myself. I don't know for a fact, but it seems their backed by a few very savvy people.

As in the words of a MD ad: "Good Job "
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Take look at the www.xnet.com and then compare XNet's web-site design with MediaTemple's. Isn't it the same?

Fulk, it's a rip. Arguments about rip vs. inspiration take place every day, but this is a definite rip. Says much about the people who run the so-called Xnet company.

One can see on their site they've been in business since 1992. Their domain is registered in '93. (mt)'s domain was registered in '99. So one might think Xnet is the original one.

But a closer look at the webarchive will shed a light on who ripped who
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Seems odd, theres alot of 'connection' when you search for them together. But most are non-english?
    It's Scott!

@Lorand M:

That is exactly what I was talking about. Obviously, Xnet are plagiators.