One Year Review of Wholesale Internet

Time really flies, didn't realise I have been with Wholesale Internet for about a year already. Just to share some of my experiences.

Uptime

There were basically zero downtime except for 3 incidents
    1. When I first signed up , there were some DOS attacks (No, they didnt attack because of me. Or did they? : )
    2. Change of router which was a preplanned downtime
    3. One guy putting my IPs into his server, when I rebooted, server was down because of the IP conflict.

(1) and (2) was part and parcel of hosting and they did rectify quickly.
    (3) was the only disappointment I had.

My views on uptime fantastic. I never had to worry about the network at all. Pity I did not keep a monitoring system, I can only say uptime was at least 99.9% from gut feeling.

Support

Singapore's time difference was about 12 hours ahead compared to USA. I had no need to use the support more than a couple of times. No problem contacting them during those times when I need their help and help was fast and enthusiastic. No blaming and pushing the buck , attitude was "solve first and talk later" type of approach.

Flexibility

I had requested for several other quotations from them, the configs were quite different from what they were offering at their web site. They were very flexible to cater their server specs to my needs rather than the other way round. Nowadays I found most companies attitude is I offer this, either you take it or leave it. I feel that this is a huge plus, not only as a client. Also as a hosting company, this is something I would try to learn from.

Billing

That is their only blemish I think. Their billing really needs some improvements. I can cheat them of a few months of payment easily. Payment side really needs more monitoring.

I am very satisfied with the one year I have been with them. Can't see how and why I am leaving at anytime. They provide solid hosting Full Stop with no need for any sexy female voice at the other end of the support line. No such unnecessary frills, things are done and done well.

I must say Good Work, keep it up and make it even Better. Hope to post my 2nd year review, similar time next year!

I've been with them for almost a month now and have been very satisfied. I hope it continues to go well for me, as well as them. They seem to be very hard workers and dedicated to all the work they are doing.
    Midwest Dedicated
    Content Management Solutions, Design, Managed Servers
    http://www.midwestdedicated.com
    Providing the highest quality IT services since 1999.

Sure do, I have been dealing with Aaron and getting few servers with them, but is Aaron the only guy doing support?

Nope, James and Aaron if I am right.

Sounds good.

As far as billing goes, I'd say the majority of server providers have billing problems - it's the department that has the lowest of low budgets, to try and minimize outgoings, so they can compete better with other providers. I personally always use PayPal, so if they make a big mistake (to my disadvantage), then I don't find £1000 instantly disappearing from my bank account. I think however if someone did try to get a few months "free", they'd probably notice it, and then *it would hit the fan .
    They provide solid hosting Full Stop with no need for any sexy female voice at the other end of the support line.
    Aww, shame

Hey hey,

I have been with Wholesale since January and can't be happier. Their support and network is just superb. They have a new billing system setup (Ubersmith) and you should have receieved a new account. If not contact James and he'll set you up into it.

-Justin
    Justin Cassidy, Accentra Inc.
    www.faxmicro.com :: Your Internet Fax Solution
    www.tollfreeexpress.com :: Hosted PBX Solutions

Re: One Year Review of Wholesale Internet

Originally posted by boonchuan

3. One guy putting my IPs into his server, when I rebooted, server was down because of the IP conflict.
    That is reason alone to not be hosted with this company. Find a provider that will provide you with a VLAN. You are also putting your clients at risk because your network is not secure; any server on your LAN segman can sniff YOUR traffic.

Other than little issue, good for you!
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

They provide private VLANS now... It just depends if your getting a lowend $29.95/mo box which doesn't come on a Private VLAN or a higher end more sensitive-data hosting box that costs $50/month+.

Mine is a low end US$49 /mth box ordered last year so maybe I just missed the private vlan : ).

Well, think of it as this. When you start getting lower end boxes that are under $50/month you can't always expect a private VLAN as you don't get many IPs. Getting 2 Usable IPs on a private vlan is simply a waste in my opinion as you lose IPs for wasting IPs.

Just the opinion of one however.

Glad to hear your experience. If everything goes right on my end, we will be doing colo starting this month with WII
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

Good luck. They are a truly good company with friendly staff.

ha. looks like xachen is a big fan ....

the only problem I see is they only use one provider, but that may not be the case anymore, I dunno ....

I am truly a big fan. Out of all the hosts I had in the past Wholesale is simply the best. Apparently they have access to Global Crossing + Level3 and are getting more in soon.

Yes, they are using Level 3 and Global Crossing via American Fiber Systems.

everybody is always "getting ready to add another carrier" ...

Is there any problem about getting ready to add another carrier? It is good that datacentres keep readying themselves to improve their capacity and bandwidth as well as multi homing. Maybe you can enlighten us on actually what is your issue. From implying that they are single homed to
    "
    everybody is always "getting ready to add another carrier"
    "

mmmm, I think he was just saying that all hosts are trying to expand and addon bandwidth providers, I don't think he meant anything bad lol. Example, Sago has always said that they are adding bandwidth providers in the future, and so do many other hosts.

I'll put my two cents in... last summer I had a low end server from them. Speeds were ok. After they did upgrades, speeds were amazing for me (I live in the DC area). No problems, James and Aaron were very helpful in their emails. For my own reasons, I did not need the server anymore.

Earlier this year, I needed another cheap server. So I went to WI again. At first, there were a few IP problems, but that all got sorted out. It took a little time, but it's a $20 server... and it was not critical for me. They eventually put me on my own vlan I believe.

I've had a few reboot request that were done in a timely manner. One did take a few hours I believe.

Speeds are not like they were at the end of last summer, but not bad by any means. Their new billing system had a little kink when they switched over... but it works. I'm not too fond of it's email notification system because I got an unnamed "check your invoice" email. Something I still think they need to address possibly. The headers gave away where it was from, so that's how I first found out.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied. Of course, take my opinion from the budget end of what they provide. I'm not expecting them to serve me hand and foot.

Hi Guys. Thanks for the kind words.

As far as your billing issues go Boon: We let you slide because we know you're good for it. We've never had an issue with your payments. You're a good customer.

Back in January we began a Migration from Modernbill to Ubersmith. It's been slow and somewhat painful but well worth it. Modernbill was just horrible for us.

On the issue of VLANS: We don't do private VLANs for low low end servers - Celeron 500's and P3 733's unless specifically requested to do so. It's just not worth it for me to burn 8 IP's for a $20 server. Anything above that gets a private VLAN. Boon, I'm not sure why you're on a shared range. If you want me to move you let me know and I will. Our shared ranges are 192, 208 and 209. Everything else is VLANed out.

Support is provided by myself and a couple techs. James handles some simple domain name and shared hosting issues. When it comes to dedicated servers. Pushing a button is as far as he goes.

lnguyn: Send me an e-mail on your speed issue. I've been doing some tweaking lately and maybe something on your port is off.

As for the future, yes, additional bandwidth from new providers is in the works. I know, everyone says that but for us it's not just a matter of diversifying our network, it's that we're running out of capacity. I'm also working on another /19 as our current one is at about 85% utilization. We are growing so fast it's hard to keep up. We are currently at 100% utilization of our server stock. Orders come in as fast as we can get new servers in. We're expanding space wise in the building we're in also. There are also some other things coming down the pipe late summer - early fall that are so sensative we don't even talk about them inside the building.

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net