Is there any test/diagnostic program to check for problems on your server?

My server has been slowing down recently, and I run a message board and all of my members have been experiencing this. The server has slowed down ALOT, but I'm not sure what's caused it. Is there a program that checks the network, software, and hardware for problems? I really need to fix this, I've contacted my server company and they haven't given me any straight answers, so maybe this should help. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by ALee; 04-29-2005 at 06:47 PM.

What is the result when you run top?

Originally posted by boonchuan
    What is the result when you run top?
    Can you restate that? I'm not sure what you're saying..sorry

Logon to your system via ssh and type "top" without the quotes.

Then post the results here. It will show us what is running on your system at that point in time and what are the top processes using cpu/memory ..

It sounds like you should think about a server admin to help you or your server provider may be able to help if you have managed services.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

how about Windows servers......any diag tool recommendations for monitoring health ?

Originally posted by Sigmaservers
    Logon to your system via ssh and type "top" without the quotes.

Then post the results here. It will show us what is running on your system at that point in time and what are the top processes using cpu/memory ..

It sounds like you should think about a server admin to help you or your server provider may be able to help if you have managed services.
    My server is managed.. it's a VPS from PowerVPS. I've told them to check what is wrong but they keep on saying everything loads fine on their end and there's no problem.

Tell them if everything loads fine, it doesnt do them any harm to cut and paste the top results to you. It takes them 3 minutes......

Windows you can monitor the CPU and memory usages as well as processes, I/O etc using the Task Manager, Just Ctl-Alt-Del and choose Task Manager. If doing remotely, just go to Controlpanel and click on Windows Security.

Originally posted by bmd2k1
    how about Windows servers......any diag tool recommendations for monitoring health ?

It is possible that the server in which your VPS is hosted on may be overloaded. Do you have SSH access ? Or that it could be that you might have outgrown the VPS specs assigned to your account.

It could be some network slowdown too, do a traceroute to your server and see the results.

Well, I typed "top" in SSH and here's what I got:

http://img247.echo.cx/img247/8463/top1uz.jpg

The load right now seems to be considerably down, though.

Before the average load times were 1.68, 1.10, 0.78.

Now it's 0.12, 0.12, 0.11

I think PowerVPS might have done some tweaking to speed up my server ..after I contacted them about it. Although the sites still load a little slow.. I'm thinking it may be a PHP or software problem, because all the PHP powered websites on my server are loading quite slow
    Last edited by ALee; 04-30-2005 at 11:26 AM.

Ok, so the problem was with a high amount of SQL activity. One user on my server was having a ton with two of his mambo powered websites, he's used up more than 80% of his bandwith, so that's likely the culprit of slowing down my server. PowerVPS is great, they've done everything they can to speed up my server and are even adding more hardware nodes without charging me. I can't believe how much support they've given me, and so fast! I will probably write a positive review about them soon, I've already been with them for 4 months and they're great

I'd recommend them to anyone.. of course this may be the wrong forum to recommend them in, but they're great!

Originally posted by ALee
    My server is managed.. it's a VPS. I've told them to check what is wrong but they keep on saying everything loads fine on their end and there's no problem.
    Originally posted by ALee
    Ok, so the problem was with a high amount of SQL activity. One user on my server was having a ton with two of his mambo powered websites, he's used up more than 80% of his bandwith, so that's likely the culprit of slowing down my server. ...they've done everything they can to speed up my server and are even adding more hardware nodes without charging me. I can't believe how much support they've given me, and so fast! I will probably write a positive review about them soon, I've already been with them for 4 months and they're great
    Not pinpointing this provider.......many experience their goodness and I will choose them if I need a VPS.

Just wondering if the resolution will be the same if there is no post here. Many suppliers seems to be so quick to react when there is a post here while too slow or no reaction if there no post here. From designer to webhost alike, sad of the behaviour but lucky there is a WHT.

Not pinpointing this provider.......many experience their goodness and I will choose them if I need a VPS.

Originally posted by efarmer

Just wondering if the resolution will be the same if there is no post here. Many suppliers seems to be so quick to react when there is a post here while too slow or no reaction if there no post here. From designer to webhost alike, sad of the behaviour but lucky there is a WHT.

I'm quite sure PowerVPS doesn't even know I posted a thread here..and in my post I didn't blame them for the problem, but rather I was just asking for advice. I believe this isn't required on their policy to help me with this anyway, since requires looking into third party software and they don't offer third party software support.
    Last edited by ALee; 04-30-2005 at 01:04 PM.