Vps With No Control Pannel!

Hello,

I am really interested in http://corevps.com/plans.php but how coudl I operate it without a control pannel, for example how do you add accounts, mailboxes, give out databases, Everyting CPanel does. How do you do everything?

Thanks
    www.FlyHosts.com
    Fly Into Quality Hosting

Happy New Year!

How do you do everything?
    heh. sorry - that just really strikes me as a funny question.

Well CPanel you can do things, for example set up an account how do I set up an account without a control pannel?
    www.FlyHosts.com
    Fly Into Quality Hosting

Happy New Year!

You would need to set up everything via SSH. For example:

cPanel sets up a vhost in apache automatically, you would have to edit httpd.conf manually

You would have to go into the mysql monitor and run a few queries to ive people mysql databases

You would have to manually set up FTP for each account and jail them to their home directory.

You would have to set up zone files in bind or whatever dns server you use.

So um...yeah its alot of work. Good luck if you decide to go without a CP

I suggest you don't waste your time and money. Spend some extra cash and get a control panel.

Originally posted by Lev
    I suggest you don't waste your time and money. Spend some extra cash and get a control panel.
    Eh, it really depends. If your going to be hosting other people on your vps, you might as well get a CP. But if your just using it for your personal use, downloads etc you attempt to do it all manually.
    Last edited by datruesurfer; 04-29-2005 at 04:01 PM.

Originally posted by datruesurfer
    Eh, it really depends. If your going to be hosting other people on your vps, you might as well get a CP. But if your just using it for your personal use, downloads etc you attempt to do it all manually.
    It doesn't depend on anything when you have to ask "How do you do everything?"

The answer to your question is "You look everything up, make the changes and hope that you did it right."

Unless you're willing to dedicate most of your day, every day, to learning this stuff, then don't bother. Why do you think iinterfaces like CPanel are so popular?

As long as your just setting up for your own websites, you could alway try install Webmin. But to do that you need to be able to install it via command line

I got a Linode account. Started with a bare-bones Gentoo. Portage make it easy (albeit time consuming) to install the latest version of whatever you need. Gentoo is wll documented

I was an invaluable learning experience. Messed up three installs of the os. Just started over, that much the wiser.

If you are going to spend any time dealing with hosting you really need to get familiar with creating user and looking at apache configs. cPanel is nice but it can mess up and then your screwed if you don't understand what's going on under the covers.

best bet is really paying the extra $15 (for cpanel) or $10 (direct admin) for a control panel

Hello.

I would give Webmin a shot

I'll install it for free if you PM me, since its a very easy quick install, or I 'll assist you in getting it installed.

Its not a dominating control panel like cPanel, and doesnt use up alot of RAM or CPU. Not graphic fancy, but it is good enough for you to use to get things done

I hate it when people on here just start off by putting down this guys idea. Hosting might not be his industry, but instead just a hobby. Perhaps he enjoys learning new things, and challanging himself to try and do more. Remember people, when you stop learning, why not just die?

Assuming that you are not intersted in putting customers on this thing, and are just intersted in learning, no one should have a problem with this.

Contact me if you want it done for free

NOTE TO MODS: I'm not going to charge anything, I'm just offering to show him how easy it can be to get Webmin installed via RPM, so he can do it him self. I dont understand why this should be a problem

Regards
    Last edited by BrandonSCSN; 05-06-2005 at 01:41 AM.

Originally posted by ErikZ
    The answer to your question is "You look everything up, make the changes and hope that you did it right."

Unless you're willing to dedicate most of your day, every day, to learning this stuff, then don't bother. Why do you think iinterfaces like CPanel are so popular?
    I disagree. Why most of his day? He never specified that this was going to become a business.

He could do an hour a night, for a month. Thats 30 hours of configuration time. He can learn alot in that time if he is committed.

If he is not a business than sounds like a good adventure otherwise it will be very tough to host with him
    Increase your hosting profits by up to 50% With no initial investment
    Find out how at https://www.EmpireConsultant.com

Originally posted by EmpireVPS
    If he is not a business than sounds like a good adventure otherwise it will be very tough to host with him
    Yes.

A good example of a company providing VPS's for more personal use is Unixshell. Some of their higher end Xen based VPSs can support some 'real' clients, but otherwise I look at them as for just personal use.

Not all VPS's must be used for business/webhosting business purposes. Many great ideas have come from just being creative, and trying different things

Personally I think its a great introduction to hosting, when I started professional photography I taught myself starting with a 10 dollar totally manual zenit and developed my own film so that when I now pick up my dslr I know what Im doing.
    Even if you dump the no control panel idea after a while you will still have learn a whole lot about what goes on behind the 'pretty?' panel interface.
    I'd have to agree with Brandon entirely, well done for volunteering to help install webmin, nice to see some goodwill! I havent used webmin much myself, just installed it on a test box at home, seems pretty capable and slick and does well with limited resources (p200 with 64mb of ram just to test how slim it would go lol).
    Go for it
    --
    Rich

honestly that's the only way to learn
    Increase your hosting profits by up to 50% With no initial investment
    Find out how at https://www.EmpireConsultant.com

I respect pdaniel89 for trying to do thing the 'old school' way.
    That way you can learn more.
    If you don't enjoy learning server administration then I think you should give one of the control panels a shot.
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

For the past 4 years I've ran an apache server on a redhat box at home. I hosted several friend's pages and a few paying clients. I did not use any control panel, webmin was installed but I didn't use it. Much of the admin was a pain to get right and many things were trial and error editing the .conf files for each service.

I now have a vps with rosehosting.com and they only offer webmin at the basic level, something called DirectAdmin for added cost. I use webmin, it seems sorta limited, I had to edit the httpd.conf myself for the settings but can add vhosts through webmin.

I would like to try other panels but don't want to spend more then $20 per month and need >20 domains hosted. I haven't found another vps that would allow that for so little.

Jim

Learning things from the base up may be good if you want to learn the stuff, but its time consuming and very unreliable if you don't know what your doing. I would advise trying out a free control such as VHCS. The if you want to learn, find out the changes the control panel makes to different files, this way you will eventually learn everything, but you can reliably host websites at the same time without seeing them all crash each time you try a new change.