Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hosts - try some honesty for a change.

Having been through at least 50 Hosts sites today (and over the years looked at maybe 500!) looking to move a dozen domains - again!, I can't get over the amount of unfettered fodder wrapped up in pretty webs all promoting the same BS. Why can't hosts just be honest? One Host for example advertises $7.77 /mo but they don't have a plan where you pay 7.77 /mo. It's a scam to get one to buy a year and it's averaged off at 7.77 /mo. There is no monthly plan - so why advertise there is? Why don't hosts stop the BS and get to the point and not fudge their ads with misleading information.

If the ad is misleading - so is the rest of it, including service, reliablilty, and honesty. That is based on experience. Do this, copy and paste all the text from your Hosting web page into a Doc file, remove the BS and graphics, and tell me, what have you to offer that others don't?

I understand Hosts are out there in a very competative market, each vying for that elusive profit margin, but stooping to shikanery, or trying to bamboozle the client with glitz and misleading wording is unbecomming of any honest buisiness - and it shows through. Do you know how hard it is to plow through all that stuff sorting the flack from the chaff - looking for a new and this time, reliable , honest host?

I was told that the more one pays the more reliable the Host - poppy-rooster. I've paid upwards of $250.00 USD /mo and as little as 4.00 and in-betweens and there was no real reliability difference. How is it everyone has a 99.99% uptime and what's UP that long - certainly, not their servers they buy space off of and sub-rent to us. It's interesting, that when the mail server dies on a host plan, or the webs are down that the Hosts web site is runing and email is working! What I want to know is, where do Hosts host THEIR web sites and THEIR mail servers? I want on there!

Sorry Hosts - but today, you're really irking my ire with all your drivel and misleading lingo, bells and promised whistles. All I want, is real reliability, reasonable bells and whistles, at a reasonable price - hang the 27/7 365 service - it just means 24/7 access to a ticket system - not access to an answer.

There - that feels better - now to keep looking for a real host.
    Last edited by JimDixon; 04-29-2005 at 01:05 PM.
    I'll admit when I don't know what I'm doing - that is why I'll deny ever having done it.

The difference in bargain basement hosting and more expensive hosting is generally not noticible until you have problems with your site.
    The bargain basement hosts usually use bargain basement servers and data centers. They are more suseptible to down time and less able to recover from server failures because their business plan does not include paying for incidentals.

I don't really see anything wrong with advertising the monthly cost of a yearly payment. There is nothing really misleading as the truth about the cost is being told.

JimDixon, I could see your concerns and your issues. But in the price war situation, you try to advertise as low as you could go by price averaging. It's not that you're lieing or something, you're just using the "price averaging" factor.

As for the offering 99.99% uptime, we are trying to state that our servers are usually very stable and reliable. No server in the world is 100% perfect, thus the slight downtime. As for buying space, well... not everyone is a reseller. Some might be, but some people do actually own their servers, so reselling space and etc to you is not really a true statement.

Next would be your issue of the host site being up and your site down. OK, here's the scoop again. Most hosts do not host their website on the same server as your website. It's not a wise idea to do so cause if the server goes down, there will be TOTALLY no way of you getting their information and etc for you to contact them about it.

You complain that you want the place where they host at. Sure you do... but have you ever seen the time when they are down and you are still up??? Have you considered that??? As I said earlier no server is 100% PERFECT, thus they too have their downtime.

Certain hosts grow at a slow and steady pace, but certain other hosts grows like a wildfire. Those who grows too fast sometimes do not know how to cope with the growth and have slight problems here and there since they are still only expecting X% growth instead of XXX%, but it still comes down to management. Should you have a good management, you'll totally not see any problems at all but I guess sometimes we do have mis-managements as well. Again coming back to the really BIG/HUGE point that nobody is PERFECT!
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

The only way I trust my business websites is on a dedicated server from a reputable company or on a colocated server local to me.

Webhosts just aren't cutting it anymore.

Originally posted by blue27
    I don't really see anything wrong with advertising the monthly cost of a yearly payment. There is nothing really misleading as the truth about the cost is being told.
    Like several others, the 7.77/mo suggests a Monthgly payment of 7.77, a monthly plan - when in fact, it's a yearly plan devided by 12 with the inuendo that there are 6 free months in there. Heck, they could state 11 free months, 51 free weeks! Whatever, and still charge the yearly fee up front. I'd NEVER buy a year in advance again (did so a long time ago). I'll pay by the Month thank you and leave next month if the Host is just another fly-by-night.

Back to your comment - a Host that banner ads "$7.77 month" which ends up being "3 Months $7.77/month ($30 Setup Fee)" is billing $53.31 not $7.77 -

Paint the word "misleading" any colour you want, it's still misleading but then again, the Internet is the only place where 99.99% of the information is misleading and of the remaining 0.01%, 99.99% of that is misinformation.

If I sound cynical - it's because you've been mislead.
    I'll admit when I don't know what I'm doing - that is why I'll deny ever having done it.

Originally posted by JimDixon

If I sound cynical - it's because you've been mislead.

LMAO, I fell out of my chair.

I go with the new guys most the time because they honor their clients and pay alot of attention to them. Not all new hosts are like this I understand, but when you find the right person, its smooth sailing from there. I even pay the bills for a server but am only a host with 500MB space on it, just because the host is a very nice group of friends who have never lied about anything and have done everything up to par.

JimDixon, I agree that advertising monthly rates on plans that require a 3 month minimum is truly mis-leading.

I think you will find that many of the larger hosting companies are doing this type of advertising now. I also think that you will find that many of the smaller hosts out there are much more honest on this front.

As for the 24/7 support, I guess it really is up for interpretation. Always has been. I think as long as you have a comfort level with the support staff that you issue will be resolved in a timely manner constitutes 24/7 support.

JMHO.
    www.earthstarhosting.com
    "Hosting you can count on!"
    cPanel Hosting at its Finest

Jim - Sorry you feel the way you do. I don't feel the same way. I suppose if life was as simple and clear cut as you'd like then it'd be both easy for you to buy cheap, feature-rich hosting and easy for hosting companies to make money at the same time.

Advertising is a fact of life. I suppose I could seeth every time a Tide commercial comes on purporting to make my life better through clean clothes but I recognize it for what it is. Spin and advertising are a way to pull your audience in.

People might not pay $57.97 for something but they might just make 3 easy payments for $19.99. I have no sympathy for people who were too lazy to learn how to multiply.

I guess I'm just jaded about all this shock and horror at marketing techniques because I hear so many tech people who sound like Ralph Nader all them time. I love tech stuff but man it's hard to be a capitalist in some of these crowds.
    Last edited by DevilDog; 04-29-2005 at 02:38 PM.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Originally posted by DevilDog
    ...People might not pay $57.97 for something but they might just make 3 easy payments for $19.99. I have no sympathy for people who were too lazy to learn how to multiply...
    But, this is not what Jim is saying. In fact, it's somewhat the opposite. In his example, people would pay $7.77/month, but would not pay $93.24 for a year's worth of hosting in advance. And $93.24 is not $7.77 per month, unless it can be paid monthly - and thus should not be advertised as such.

How many people really want to pay for hosting annually? Will the host in question be around in 6 months? Even if you are confident they will be, do you pay your cable/satellite bill for the whole year at one time? How about your power/gas/electric bills? You cell phone? Your landline? You car? Not likely....

How many people really want to pay for hosting annually?
    I am willing to if it saves me $20 in a year and a setup fee but I don't host with companies that I'm worried about going out of business.

I've never had a problem ascertaining the real monthly price of a product. If I don't like the price then I move on to another host with a lower monthly fee if I don't like it but what I don't do is get huffy about it and start berating the hosting industry for the practice.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

I am willing to if it saves me $20 in a year and a setup fee but I don't host with companies that I'm worried about going out of business.

I've never had a problem ascertaining the real monthly price of a product. If I don't like the price then I move on to another host with a lower monthly fee if I don't like it but what I don't do is get huffy about it and start berating the hosting industry for the practice.
    Nobody is getting "huffy" or "berating the hosting industry". People are expressing their opinions. If you're not tolerant to the open exchange of diverse views than maybe a public message forum is not the best place for you to spend your time.

Eaiest way to look at it is like buying a car. If you buy something thats worth $100,000 then it would more then likely be a heck of a lot more reliable then a $2000 car.

I actually see his point here. If you say $7.77/mo, you expect to pay $7.77 every month. If you only offer yearly payment options, then you should say $93.24/year ($7.77/month). That makes it clear that you need to pay for the year up front, while giving the customer how much it would cost per month for comparison purposes. It's not a matter of someone being lazy. It's a matter of some customers do not want to pay yearly, and they should know that they can't right up front.
    Joe
    http://www.allin1websolutions.com
    All in 1 Web Solutions LLC

Re: Hosts - try some honesty for a change.

Why can't hosts just be honest? One Host for example advertises $7.77 /mo but they don't have a plan where you pay 7.77 /mo. It's a scam to get one to buy a year and it's averaged off at 7.77 /mo. There is no monthly plan - so why advertise there is? Why don't hosts stop the BS and get to the point and not fudge their ads with misleading information.
    Agreed. I know this is a common marketing trick, but personally it annoys me when I see prices like this for any product. If it's 7.77 a month then the payment should be monthly, not annually.

I was told that the more one pays the more reliable the Host - poppy-rooster. I've paid upwards of $250.00 USD /mo and as little as 4.00 and in-betweens and there was no real reliability difference. How is it everyone has a 99.99% uptime and what's UP that long - certainly, not their servers they buy space off of and sub-rent to us. It's interesting, that when the mail server dies on a host plan, or the webs are down that the Hosts web site is runing and email is working! What I want to know is, where do Hosts host THEIR web sites and THEIR mail servers? I want on there!
    Chances are that you are on a shared server, yet the host will be on a dedicated. However as mentioned in an above post, the host's server will go down at some point and your site will most likely still be up.

It's simple maths really, if you have the host's server with 1 or 2 sites on it and then you have a shared server with a couple of hundred, chances are that the shared server is more likely to suffer from problems.

Originally posted by jmweb
    Eaiest way to look at it is like buying a car. If you buy something thats worth $100,000 then it would more then likely be a heck of a lot more reliable then a $2000 car.
    With hosting you are not seeing a physical product before you buy though. A better analogy would be you being offered those 2 cars without seeing them and without knowing the model etc, just with a brief description of how well they run.

Thats true..

Suppose you go upto a vegetable shop and ask him for some vegetables..he says $1 per kg... now when you are ready to pay he asks you for $10 saying $1 per kg only if you buy 100kgs... is tht fair?

And it sems as if hosts are too obsessed about showing min price and labelling it as advertising trick/competetion..

Arent there hosts that display true prices..arent they popular? they do exist.. and as a customer i really like they are honest.. if they tell me (or their site) i have to pay $5..than its $5.. no conditions apply

Infact as far as i think... hiding things from customer irritates him more when he discovers them
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Always kind of wondered how the average potential customer reacts to this:

"Host that banner ads "$7.77 month" which ends up being "3 Months $7.77/month ($30 Setup Fee)" is billing $53.31 not $7.77 "

I guess some are not put out by it and go ahead and sign up even if it is somewhat mis-leading...and the rest walk away.....
    www.earthstarhosting.com
    "Hosting you can count on!"
    cPanel Hosting at its Finest

I guess JimDixon doesn't shop, watch TV, or read newspaper ads. The $7.77 trick is a common and accepted method used by a lot of industries. Magizine subs do it, you see it all the time on infomercials, etc. The point of it is to grab your attention. As long as the terms are not hidden, it's nothin more then a marketing ploy...not dishonest, not a lie, just a way to get ppl to actually visit and read your sites offerings.

Jim, like a lot of others here, are clueless as to how cutthroat the hosting industry is. Yes, there are scammers, and some are not just kids with reseller accounts, but well know and established hosts.

Most hosts have very easy to read pages that list what you get and for how much with no marketing hype. Calling hosts dishonest simply because you have a grip against the method they advertise seems pretty cocky and whiny.

The funny thing is... some "shady" hosts will have "todays special".... and it refreshes every day. Some list a price for "yearly, and divide it by 12, throw in a month or two, and list the monthly price (I have always used "if purchaes annually")

As a host, I always try to discourage annual payments. I have been hosting a number of years, but I still prefer Monthly rather than annual. Safer for the customer, and that is what is important.

The hard part comes down to site designs. Too many look for the "cool looking" or "hot layout" that a host had to invest good money in to getting.... too many judge a host just on their web site layout.

I for one have temporarily closed my hosting company to new customers. When I re-open it, I am *thinking* of a very plain layout with "just the facts m'am". No frill... no "cool" images etc...

We all like facts. I for one am tired of playing the "image game" based soley on what the hosts web site looks like. I am here to provide space and service.... not a "cool design" for a customer to look through when they need support.

Of course, I could be crazy too.... but I think going back to basics is a good idea.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

Originally posted by blue27
    The difference in bargain basement hosting and more expensive hosting is generally not noticible until you have problems with your site.
    The bargain basement hosts usually use bargain basement servers and data centers. They are more suseptible to down time and less able to recover from server failures because their business plan does not include paying for incidentals.

Yes and no. I agree with the thread started that sometimes prices can be misleading. Site5 for instance is doing this. All of the prices listed on the main page of their site are for a certain prepayment. I didnt notice until I took a closer look around. It however, is real pricing, not fraud. The company isnt doing anything wrong, just making their prices appear attractive.

At the same time, I do agree that the bargain basement hosts usually are using lower quality servers. this isnt in ALL cases though. At the same time however, this is when there is a higher volume of accounts on the server

Originally posted by ArtieFishill
    Calling hosts dishonest simply because you have a grip against the method they advertise seems pretty cocky and whiny.
    I just did a check. For the heck of it, I did a search for a Reseller account, no more than $10.00 per mo on a Unix system. There are 109 offerings. If I were to use the results to start tracking down a new Host, that's 109 pages with a wide variety of offerings I'd have to trudge through, checking their costs, plans, guarantees, client reviews, and so on only to find that the $10.00 (or less) cost is nothing near what they offer.

The first one on the list offered FREE 12 months of hosting for only $30.00 How "free" is that at $30.00?

There is advertising and there are misleading tricks. They are not the same and people have better things to do than sort through what is the truth and what is a trick.

That's all I was asking - just some good old fashioned up front honesty - and what you ascribed to as advertising - isn't.

Using reverse spinning suggesting an opinion or request is whining goes a long in advertsing your services. I appreciate your being honest with your opinions as it makes it easier for me to avoid your Hosting plans because, if you support the kind of "tricks" being used in the example I first gave, then I can't trust anything you as a Host might offer up.

Originally posted by ArtieFishill
    As long as the terms are not hidden, it's nothin more then a marketing ploy...
    One standard definition of ploy: An action calculated to frustrate an opponent or gain an advantage indirectly or deviously.

I wouldn't have used ploy and then not call it dishonest. Ploy tends to impart the feeling of distrust and dishonesty.

I agree with the poster on the ($7.77 package idea...) it sounds misleading, and there are quite a lot of providers on this forum that do that.

Check out some of the posts in the DS/Colo Offers Section...

(Pure Example... [TITLE] Servers as low as $29.99/mo!!)

You check out the thread.. $29.99/mo + $129/setup fee... its a tad misleading...

So on that point I agree with.. the other stuff.. isn't most advertising misleading in most industiries.. good or bad.. most are..
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

I for one have been in this business for over 6 years and have seen the competition get tougher and tougher. I have to agree that it needs to be clear how much you are charging.. I have seen some "tricks" that I do think are unfair like having a price for hosting @ $xxx/year and then when you get to the final check out page there would be a Setup fee added.. WHAT?!?! well if you look really close at the bottom of the page there would be * 1 time set up fee $x which most people probably miss.. But again that would just turn me off of buying even if all the rest looked good.

We sell monthly and yearly plans both and we have an even mix of both from our customers. Our monthly plans start @ $4.95/month and our Yearly plans start at $49.95 and that is exactly what our pages show. We do not show $4.1625.../month.. I have to admit at one time we did do this because it was the "standard" but one customer said they were confused by it so we changed it to be more clear with the Actual monthly and Actual Yearly cost.. Does this type of marketing wrong or shady? I do not think so as long as it is clear long before the check out what you are getting. We only changed it to make sure there was never a question.

I do think though if you have looked at over 50 hosts today to come here and complain you really need a hobby.

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Originally posted by RealtorHost
    .. isn't most advertising misleading in most industiries.. good or bad.. most are..
    Does that make it acceptable, should we as customers just say "OK, go ahead, befuddle me with your CowPies, try to baffle me with your misleading, even false advertising - it's OK because others do it"? Should web hosts lower themselves to the bowls of misleading, misinforming, unscrupulous methods to entice customers to the glitz and glamor that shrouds the real -stuff- ?

I am looking for a reliable reseller plan, to Host a dozen Domains I own, none of which make any money, but one day, well - I can dream. In the mean time, I have to go through gobs of goopy search hits containing Host-provided misleading tidbits linking to something else. Occasionally, I come across easy to understand plans - they stand out amongst the - well, the other -stuff-.

My, but it's time consuming cutting through it all.

I never understood the philosophy of hiding additional fees behind the fine print. Potential customers will see the total amount sooner or later and will be very upset.
    The whole problem is self perpetuated by hordes of new "me too" web hosts that have $3.95 unlimited everything plans and clients that expect that kind of pricing. I see it all the time here, someone always complains about bad experience and how they are loosing money due to bad web host yet insists on paying less than $10/month.

People go to the movies and have no problem spending $20-30 on popcorn/tickets, $30 average Friday nigh trip to the bar , $65 to fill up their big a$$ SUV with gas, but insist on sub $10/month web hosting. I just don't get it.

Originally posted by GWDGuy
    Our monthly plans start @ $4.95/month and our Yearly plans start at $49.95 and that is exactly what our pages show.
    Now, that makes sense. I can easily see the cost if I elect to pay by the month and see too, that if I pay by the year, I save two months. Plain and simple.
    I do think though if you have looked at over 50 hosts today to come here and complain you really need a hobby.
    Is that it? I suggest some more honesty in the Hosting arena and it is a complaint? After reviewing more than 50 Hosts, I'm not logged out here, but I can work between browsers and computers, coming here to make ONE suggestion, and then reviewing and responding to some posts that are so off base to my suggestion hardly suggests I need a hobby. If anything, you painted a smiley beside a obvious insult. It's OK. I underatnd how hard it can be for some to take some constructive criticisim and suggestions that might help improve the Hosting arena.

And to be honest, after looking through so much garbage on so many sites, even outright insults are a welcomed break But to be fair , as I said, there are a number of Hosting sites that are not afraid to be real, and don't appear to have a need to resort to chicanery n. (pl. -ies) 1 clever but misleading talk. 2 trickery, deception. [French]

Somebody mentioned Site5. That's a good example. They are arguably a fine host with good reviews, but take a look at their "compare plans" page...

Right at the very top of the page:

"Monthly Price $6.95".

Ah... But look down below under the same plan:

"Monthly Fee paid yearly : $6.95"
    "Monthly Fee paid semiannually : $8.95"
    "Monthly Fee paid quarterly : $9.95"
    "Monthly Fee paid monthly : $11.95"

Guys, all "monthy fees" are "paid monthly". Otherwise they are "yearly fees paid yearly", "quarterly fees paid quarterly", etc.

Hey, do any of you people want to buy a new Ferrari for only $1 per day (daily fee paid up front, every 273.97 years).

Of course, maybe these fee descriptions are just "the most important advancement since HTML..."

If anything, you painted a smiley beside a obvious insult. It's OK.
    First of all grow up.. I was making light of my comment, a joke, putting a little humor out there. I guess people do not smile at you where you live? goodness you DO need a hobby.. If I was making an insult I would have used this

You are right hosts are all evil and out to steal your $5
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I really don't get what the complaint is here.

How is there any deception?

When you go to the supermarket and you see whole chickens at $x.xx a pound do you expect to get a single pound of chicken?

Can you not buy those same chickens cut up but at a higher price?

Originally posted by Alexatek
    Nobody is getting "huffy" or "berating the hosting industry". People are expressing their opinions. If you're not tolerant to the open exchange of diverse views than maybe a public message forum is not the best place for you to spend your time.
    Really Alexatek? You seem pretty huffy to me telling me to just go away. Is telling me to go away a form of tolerance I'm not familiar with?

The title of the post is "Hosts - try some honesty for a change". That is emotionally charged language. I think calling a company's honesty into question over a marketing method to be overreaching.

I'm sorry if you're offended when I call that language huffy but that's how it seems to me.

How does the term whining strike you? It's an opinion after all and we're all about tolerance here.
    Last edited by DevilDog; 04-29-2005 at 05:42 PM.
    Rich

To the contrary Dog, I am not "offended" in the slightest, nor am I "huffy". I'm simply submitting my opinion - with accusing others of being "huffy", "berating" or any other adjective.

Originally posted by GrindKore
    ...someone always complains about bad experience and how they are loosing money due to bad web host yet insists on paying less than $10/month.
    But, if a Host advertises say $10.00/Mo 99.9% Uptime, great support, loads of belss and whistlesa, shouldn't the customer expect to get what was offered? Or, are you suggesting that there is a line, where below that line service and support sucks, and above service and sypport is what is advertised?
    People go to the movies and have no problem spending $20-30 on popcorn/tickets, $30 average Friday nigh trip to the bar , $65 to fill up their big a$$ SUV with gas, but insist on sub $10/month web hosting. I just don't get it.
    It's not like that at all. It's people see a advertised price for a service and expect that service at that price. If that price is $10.00/Mo or $50.00/Mo, both offering the same things, which should we buy into, the $50.00 one? Why? They offer the same. I'll buy the $10.00 thank you.
    Unfortuntaely, in this arena, even more isn't always better.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by blue27
    I really don't get what the complaint is here. How is there any deception?[/qote]I can't find where anyone except you used the word deception. My suggestion at the start of this (see topic) was asking for some honesty because, in the example, the Host advertised in their banner "$7.77 Mo" which implies, like rentals do, one pays $7.77 a month. However, the host wants 3 months in advance plus $30.00 setup. Not "deceptive", it's misleading.
    When you go to the supermarket and you see whole chickens at $x.xx a pound do you expect to get a single pound of chicken?
    These guys aren't selling chickens by the whole, they are selling a monthly rate with a minimum purchase of three months plus setup - not disclosed in their misleading ad.

One can colour misleading any colour they want, but misleading is still misleading and that's why we use the word - to describe something misleading.

Some Hosts have justified that form of enticing people to their sites citing needs, competition, buyer should know better, and it's done in other mediums - making OK. That doesn't make it right - and with the amount of competition out there, all the glitz and promises is pretty well the same - easy to see through and leaning to ignore.

Hey - all I did was offer up a suggestion that there are better ways of conducting business than -that kind- of advertising, what ever label one wants to put on it.

I guess for me the issue comes down to nuance. "Web hosting" is such a broad industry with many choices, features, and an interplay between features, users per server, service, speed, and price. The choices and varieties are many.

Why do companies use marketing ploys? Because it gets people in the "door" looking around. Would it be easier for you, the customer, if they didn't use any marketing techniques that required you to search for the details? Yes, but the whole point is to get you to look further and hopefully get you as a customer through their ad copy. They are trying to persuade you with their web site and, like it or not, you start listening to their story because of their tag line - it gets your attention.

You can complain about it all you want and wish that companies didn't have such an insidious profit motive but it is the tag lines that get you interested. Frankly, I'm indifferent to the practice but it obviously raises your hackles to see that their method of calculating cost/month was based on a yearly price (you'd probably even get more upset that some display a price based on a 4 year pre-pay! )

So, in the end, the thing you hate (prices and features that get you interested only to find there was a "catch") was deliberate and they frankly know that some people won't like it but they'll get customers anyway. You may not like the idea of "spinning" a product but it's common and you might find yourself less strident if you even ran your own company and had to figure out how you were going to survive in a highly competitive industry. I tend to be more sympathetic than purists because many techology guys only care about the real features and care little about the busines aspects.
    Rich

So, in the end, the thing you hate (prices and features that get you interested only to find there was a "catch") was deliberate
    Sorry, but you are mislead (inside joke), I don't hate the prices and features used in the ad I refer to, I detest the Host for misleading me into thinking the price that said /Mo was actually by the Month when it fact, it's 3 months plus fee. I had to travel all over his site looking for the advertised price only to discover that the ad is a lie. Deception is not a good marketing tool because while some might fall for it, for a while, many probably pass you buy - as I will. (not 'you' in particular)

To all Hosts that think misleading advertsiing is OK (for whatever reason) - we customers have an advantage over you - we don't need you - you need us - and since there are lots and lots of hosts, we have choices. Prices for Servers, for drives, for access, every where, are coming down. The strong are the honest advertisers and me thinks it is they who will survive.

So you say Jim. Don't give them your business but the fact is they ARE getting a lot of business because a lot of people aren't like you and they cater to the market that isn't like you. I know they'll alienate you because you find the practice deceptive. Others don't so what can I say:

Different hosts for different folks.

I guess I just encounter it so much in so many industries that I always expect companies to be doing whatever they can for a competitive advantage. I've just had such horrible experiences with contractors operating within the letter of the contract but providing crummy service that things as innocuous as having to browse a few pages to figure out the real cost doesn't really raise above my "minor annoyance" threshold.

Dude, I respect your right to be annoyed but just don't fall into the mistake of believing everybody is as annoyed as you.

Cheers.
    Rich

These guys aren't selling chickens by the whole, they are selling a monthly rate with a minimum purchase of three months plus setup - not disclosed in their misleading ad.

One can colour misleading any colour they want, but misleading is still misleading and that's why we use the word - to describe something misleading.

Some Hosts have justified that form of enticing people to their sites citing needs, competition, buyer should know better, and it's done in other mediums - making OK. That doesn't make it right - and with the amount of competition out there, all the glitz and promises is pretty well the same - easy to see through and leaning to ignore.

Hey - all I did was offer up a suggestion that there are better ways of conducting business than -that kind- of advertising, what ever label one wants to put on it. [/B]

Well if you find it misleading I will leave you with your beliefs. Good luck finding a host that doesn't "mislead" you. From the criteria that you seem to have you will be searching for a very long time.

I do have to say I somewhat agree with Jim. I was reviewing our site before we started posting in the advertising section here at WHT and felt that listing prices in that manor could possibly be construed as misleading, so I opted to remove those price listings in favor of avoiding trouble all together rather than face a similar type of inquiry from the mods.

As a customer I fully understood why hosts would do it, but as a host, I feel I have to hold myself to higher standards. When I looked and realized that I felt listing in that manor was misleading... I decided I would sleep better with true monthly prices listed.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs