Domain name ownership??? transferring

Question for all you resellers...

I recently purchased a small hosting package with a reseller. Included with this package was a "FREE domain name" I hosted with this for just under a year and paid for a year in full.

I now want to transfer this domain to another registrar. I have setup account with the new registrar and requested a transfer of a .org domain name. (Which needs a Authorization code) My hosting provider will not transfer the domain to me unless I paid the fees required. (I paid the fees, etc) Now I receive an email that he will not transfer total ownership to me till after 30 days and so I cannot reverse the payment.

Currently WHOIS shows that I have ownership of the domain but it is in the STATUS: CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

You might try contacting the registrar directly, Unless there is some "fine print" in their TOS that prevents you from moving it.
    Reseller-Network.Com
    Hsphere, DirectAdmin, or Helm. Windows 2003 & Unix Reseller,Shared,and Dedicated Hosting.
    *Multi-Homed* *Usage-Based* *Adult Content Allowed*

If you made an account on the registrar the domain is currently on there would have been no fees. I transfer domains to my clients accounts al the time, all I ask them is to make an account where I bought their domain. I've never had problems doing it like this.

Sounds like your best bet would be to make any dns changes that you need to now and request the domain transfer again in 30 days.

Initially I wanted the hosting provider to just transfer the domain. I paid for 1 year of hosting service and the "free" domain was for 1 year. Since everything was paid for and I was not asking for any money back and I was leaving this reseller about 1 month before expiration why couldn't they just hand the domain over. The reseller is causing all this trouble and time emailing me and his DNS registrar were one simple OK could have solved this issue in a matter of minutes.

Was there anything stipulated when you initially signed up for your year of hosting that the free domain was non-transferable?

Like reseller said
    You might try contacting the registrar directly,

Harry: Here is the ToS...
    Domain name Registration Domain names of the following:
    .com .net .org .co.uk .org.uk are registered by us free of charge and become the sole property of the customer after a period of twelve months providing the domain remains hosted by us for a minimum period of one year at which point the customer can elect to transfer the domain away from us or continue to host it with us, should the customer wish to transfer the domain before the end of the twelve month period a charge will be made for the domain name...

I am asking for a transfer of Domain about 1+ month early so I can transition to new registrar and reseller with no lapse in service. (My domain and hosing account expire in mid-june time frame.)

Willy:
    I have tried contacting them. They seem to have no telephone support and whenever I submit a support request it gets forwarded to the reseller for approval.

edit : spelling
    Last edited by kipper01; 04-29-2005 at 02:29 PM.

I can't see why the reseller wouldn't approve the transfer for you. Like you you've said, you already paid for a year of hosting. So from I see you've meet the original TOS.

I don't blame the domain registrar for not getting involved though. The issue is really between you and the "reseller".

BTW: Who's information is on the whois record? Yours or the reseller?
    Last edited by harryhood; 04-29-2005 at 02:44 PM.

Registrant: Myself
    Admin: Reseller
    Tech: Myself

I was at one point listed as the Admin but at some point it was switched back to the reseller.

It sounds like you might want to talk nice to him and pay him the charge. But however get away from them. By the way who is it?

I hope they don't hold your domain hostage which they can and might.

Good luck!
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?