ixwebhosting.com - Support is terrible

Hi all

Just a friendly line to let you know that:

ixwebhosting.com has some terribble support.

Their sitebuilder studio editor has some majorly messed up templates and when I submitted a ticket about the issue this was the response I got:

Dear Valued customer,

Thank you for using our services.

Please go through the following links.
    http://www.psoft.net/ssdoc/index.html
    http://www.psoft.net/SS/ss_faq/faq_sstudio.html

You can contact following link to if you need further help.

http://www.psoft.net/SS/site_studio_support.html

Should have any further questions,Please feel free to contact us 24/7.

With regards
    -----------------------------------------------
    Chris Hernandez
    Technical Support
    http://www.ixwebhosting.com
    24*7 Helpdesk / Online Chat
    http://www.ixwebhosting.com/pg.info.dspLiveChat
    I quite clearly stated the problem to them in the first ticket and quite clearly stated that their templates were corrupt. I even showed them the error messages which the server inserted to the html page.

All ixwebhosting.com want to do is pass the issue back to me and make me deal with it. It's like telling me to install perl or php - I can't do it - That is why technical support exists!

ixwebhosting.com's Linda Braxton wasn't much help either. She was very slow to respond on live chat and didn't even read half of what I wrote properly. She also didn't seem to understand the nature of the issue at all.

One other thing:

The ticket was submitted after talking to Ted on live support.

He said that he couldn't find the problem but if I submitted a ticket they would fix it.

I submitted a ticket.

They replied (which is above). Thats when I went and spoke to Linda on live chat.

Service means nothing to these people - I don't know why they bother.

-Turboz

SiteStudio does present some issues sometimes. We normally issue tickets at Psoft and they always respond in around 6 hours with a fix or diagnosis - very helpful company. Maybe ixwebhosting should try it.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

This is really a weird thing. Comapnies should understand that it is the company who should be contacting these thrid party software providers rather than asking the clients to do so. It becomes a moral responsibility of the company to provide appropriate support for any software that they are offering whether it is there own or not.

I hope ixwebhosting looks for it.

Originally posted by Gary Brahmi
    This is really a weird thing. Comapnies should understand that it is the company who should be contacting these thrid party software providers rather than asking the clients to do so. It becomes a moral responsibility of the company to provide appropriate support for any software that they are offering whether it is there own or not.

I hope ixwebhosting looks for it.
    Not always true. Where do you defend the idea that third party software support is a moral responsibility. I'm not going to defend ixWebHosting per se but neither do I agree fundamentally with the idea that a Web Hosting company should support every third party application that it makes available to its customers.

It is very common, for instance, for reseller hosts to offer a program like ClientExec with their service. I get a good reseller price with a license to load ClientExec but if I want support for that product then I will have to pay more for it. My web host does not pay for in-house expertise in ClientExec and if I want support figuring out how it works then I have to pay for it. I could whine and moan that I should be able to get reseller hosting AND ClientExec support ($100 a year) for only $20/year but what moral right do I have to dictate to a company that they have to lose money to give me technical support.

I'm glad that FANTASTICO scripts are provided free with web hosting accounts. The web hosting companies don't write them, don't make the templates, but they provide a convenient way for me to get to them. It's not their moral responsibility to provide them to me for free nor is it their moral responsibility to provide in-house expertise to support them.

I apologize if I get a bit strident about these things but I really wish folks would think through what they're buying with shared web hosting services. If you want integrated solutions from web hosting to application support then pay for it. Don't go to a vanilla web hosting company that bundles products with no promise of support at a very low price and then expect them to support the product in a way that you should have paid for up front. Nothing in life is free except getting on forums and bashing companies for something they don't promise.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

That was very well put. Personal I have a few clients migrate from Ixwebhosting and in my opinion they were very difficult to get an answer from. They seem to be based in the US buy run from overseas.

AJ

Originally posted by DevilDog
    Not always true. Where do you defend the idea that third party software support is a moral responsibility. I'm not going to defend ixWebHosting per se but neither do I agree fundamentally with the idea that a Web Hosting company should support every third party application that it makes available to its customers.

It is very common, for instance, for reseller hosts to offer a program like ClientExec with their service. I get a good reseller price with a license to load ClientExec but if I want support for that product then I will have to pay more for it. My web host does not pay for in-house expertise in ClientExec and if I want support figuring out how it works then I have to pay for it. I could whine and moan that I should be able to get reseller hosting AND ClientExec support ($100 a year) for only $20/year but what moral right do I have to dictate to a company that they have to lose money to give me technical support.
    Yes but what your saying is that Normal shared hosting accounts deserve the same rights as resellers. This isn't true. It's like saying that customers buying from Morrisons have the same rights as Morrisons buying from their suppliers.

EG I buy a packet of biscuits from Morrisons only to find that they're broken. I take it back, Morrisons have a legal duty to replace them. BUT Supposing Morrisons buy these biscuits in bulk and find 1 packet broken - You think the supplier is obliged to refund the cost of 1 packet? - Not normally.

However sticking with your original lecture, why don't shared hosting customers get multiple accounts and high bandwidth?

The point is that this account is a shared account and it is not possible for me to be the middleman between the ixwebhosting.com AND Psoft. What happens when psoft want to login to the server and fix it? - You think ixwebhosting.com will give me those details?

This is why company's are supposed to talk to eachother and communicate. In the case of ixwebhosting.com they've simply point blank refused.

I'm the customer here not them. ixwebhosting.com are supposed to give me the technical support NOT me support them. Don't talk such rubbish.

Your basically saying that they shouldn't be obliged to help me at all. Wake up and start talking sense.

Point 2
    Your saying:
    if I want support figuring out how it works then I have to pay for it
    Yes but I'm not trying to figure out how sitestudio works.
    Please do the decent thing and actually read what I write - DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS OF JUST "Skim-Reading"
    If you read it I've made it quite clear that sitestudio is faulty and has faulty templates. I'm not trying to
    figure out how it works
    . I'm actually trying to get something fixed. There is a very big difference.

I think you need to have a major rethink about what you've said - some of it doesn't even make ethical or business sense at all.

I think that the host is obligated to offer support for any software it offers.
    As soon as you incorporate it into your control panel and use it as a selling point you are responsible for support.

If a cPanel host offers Fantastico for instance I think they should offer support for the scripts or don't offer it.

Many people use Fantastico as a selling point. If you can't support the features they are not much good to the end user so in effect it is false advertising.

Turboz,

I don't know who you're arguing with but I was responding to Gary. Perhaps you should read the begining of my post and who I was quoting before skimming right by it and flaming me.

I said up front I wasn't defending ix Web Hosting per se. If they have corrupted web templates loaded on their server then they should load the proper ones. I should have noted that I agreed to your specific complaint but not the statement Gary made.

I responded to the notion that a web hosting company has to support every third party software product that they offer and that they have a moral responsiblity to do so. I don't agree with that.

Blue27: You can call it false advertising all you want but it's only false advertising if a company advertises specifically that they support all their applications. The mere offering of applications is not false advertising at all. Dell bundles a ton of apps it doesn't support but gives you the opportunity to buy licenses for. This is common practice in the computing industry. If you don't like it then go with the companies that offer no extra licenses that you want full support for. Pay for full support for things. As for me, I like the option of using applications even if I have to figure them out. If I need an end to end solution with support for hundreds of dollars in applications then I might be foolish enough to believe that's all bundled in a $7.95/mo shared hosting package but my naivetee does not set the standard for business practice. Too often people are complaining about things that people should get for free or are false advertising and they should know better. Ignorance is not a virtue.

As for what I do, I find it comical that people think I even run a hosting company. I have, however, had to make budget tradeoffs for large companies and decided when we would pay for support and when we would take care of it ourselves. The point is that we decided those issues deliberately and if we knew we had to cut corners and couldn't afford a fully integrated solution we didn't turn around and call the company unethical for doing exactly what they signed themselves up for contractually.

In fact, the person who expects more value than what he and the other company agreed to contractually is the unethical party in the transaction and not the other way around. The fact that the person clicked "I Agree" without carefully reading and assessing TOS does not absolve them of their responsibility.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

I used to host with Ixwebhosting and i always had great support, but again that was 8 months ago, so i guess the support has gone through the window.

Yeah, it does that sometimes Chris. You can be getting great support during a period, then just no support, and this has happened in many instances with web hosts, especially when new reps are hired.

When you are paying for a service, they should be able to provide you with direct support, instead of sending you out of their site to find the solution to your problem. I can understand if they directed you to THEIR flash tutorials or such, but that's the furthest any host would go in my opinion.

Support is or should at least, be included in the price you pay for your hosting, otherwise what's the point of even saying you provide support if you just give your customers URLS to go to so they can find out how to fix the problem.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

DevilDog,

I humbly apologise if I have caused any offence but my view still remain the same.

Shared hosting users that are offered in-built software with their package should recieve support instead of being sent away!

Once again, sorry for mis-understanding

-Turboz

Originally posted by Turboz
    DevilDog,

I humbly apologise if I have caused any offence but my view still remain the same.

Shared hosting users that are offered in-built software with their package should recieve support instead of being sent away!

Once again, sorry for mis-understanding

-Turboz
    No problem Turboz. I work in a "business" where you have to have a thick skin. I really wasn't offended. I just wanted to make sure that you knew I wasn't attacking your issue with faulty templates.
    Rich

Hi all

today I finally received a reply admitting that there is a fault with the template and that sitestudio have been contacted.

Apparently this will be fixed in the next release and the only work-around is to change template.

Grrrr

I've wasted days to be told this? - Thats real bad.

-Turboz

It's good they are finally admitting fault but at least the problem lies on SiteStudio's end and not theirs. By the way (just in case you are not aware) I tried to view your web site but it is offline.

Back on topic , hopefully We had some significant issues with Site Studio as well, and ended up dumping it a few months ago. We just ended up spending too much time answering support tickets related to it.
    www.earthstarhosting.com
    "Hosting you can count on!"
    cPanel Hosting at its Finest