Dedicated Servers

Any recommendations on a machine like this?

Dual Xeon 3.0GHZ
    4GB PC3200 RAM
    3 15K RPM 74GB SCSI Drives
    RAID0

Thank You Very Much,

<<Signature to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 04-29-2005 at 05:32 AM.

why raid 0 ?

Why don't you in with the offers section. You will find a plenty of offers with some like features. In case you do not find any suitable one you can place a request quote over the following URL:-

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/request.php

Originally posted by artin1982
    why raid 0 ?
    Its what I need for SQL and fast read and writes

Originally posted by Gary Brahmi
    Why don't you in with the offers section. You will find a plenty of offers with some like features. In case you do not find any suitable one you can place a request quote over the following URL:-

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/request.php
    Actually, don't use the request url, that is no longer being seen by anyone, since iNet decided to cut off leads access and stop selling memberships. Unfortunately, you're not allowed to post requests in these forums any longer.

As far as sql and raid0
    you don't "need" raid for fast sql access, putting sql on a separate drive(note: NOT partition) will have the same affect realistically.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Originally posted by linux-tech
    Actually, don't use the request url, that is no longer being seen by anyone, since iNet decided to cut off leads access and stop selling memberships. Unfortunately, you're not allowed to post requests in these forums any longer.

As far as sql and raid0
    you don't "need" raid for fast sql access, putting sql on a separate drive(note: NOT partition) will have the same affect realistically.
    I want the best possible

Bumpety Bump Bump

Any ideas?

I suggest you take a look at the rules which you agreed to before signing up, specifically the rules related to bumping threads.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

thanks for bumping the thread lol.

anyways. Anybody? any recommendations? Or am I screwed for getting my specs?

rofa,

I would check out http://steadfastnetworks.com/ and see if they can give you a custom quote on specs. like that.

They also have a gorgeous bandwidth providers!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Ok I emailed them to see if they have a quote for me. So far no providers have been able to provide my specs to my exact needs. Maybe they can.

ok well after like a few days of talking to steadfast now they say they cant provide me a server. Something about they dont want to install a new cage or something.

I need a server by May 11th or 12th!

its just as hard as I expected to be able to lease a dedicated server with our specs from a company thats reputable and trustworthy.

got one quote. $789 a month OUCH!
    We need a server cluster of these about 8 months from now from the same provider we will go with for this one machine so we definently cant start paying $789 a month right now for one.

Remember to ask for a raid controller with 3 channels on it, otherwise the effect of raid 0 across the 3 scsi drives will be signifigantly less impressive.

Also remember to note that with raid 0, and 3 drives, you chances of complete system failure are more then 3x higher then with just 1 drive.

I thought it was 2 drive minimum for RAID0?

Ok listening to porcupines help. Please give me a raid controller with multiple channels.

My budget is $600 a month.

raid5 is too slow. Already tried it once. RAID10 too expensive.

just wanted to make sure its extra clear that we cant survive on 10k RPM SCSI we need 15k RPM SCSI.

And our budget of course is $600 a month.

jeeze i didnt know so few companies offer the specs we need. 2 so far. Almost seems better to actually buy a machine than colocate it.

Try HostVoice I am sure you can find what you are looking for.

Regards,
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

k ill check it out.

If you need so much speed then one assumes your site is large.

If the site is large it must be critical.

So why go RAID0?

Get a realistic budget and a realistic spec, or you'll be when things go wrong.

How about rackspace ? I'm sure they could find what you're looking for, and it's managed too!
    Why not split your site up into two servers, one for database and one for your html/php pages.
    Just a suggestion.

rackspace is too high for him.
    It's Scott!

Problem as I see it with this request is, it's gonna cost him a good deal in hardware (as for this to be effective, he's going to need 3 x u320, 15k rpm drives, 74gb [~$1k], he's going to need a 3 channel controller [~$800], and then the rest of the system).

He's looking at a ~$4-5k solution, thats not terribly common (boxes that expensive running raid 0? Rarely!), and probably a hefty chunk of BW on top of it.

Originally posted by camers
    rackspace is too high for him.
    Had a feeling that they would be after I posted that... Oops.
    You should probably colocate... you could lease a server from Dell and get near your price. Go and look into the PowerEdge 2850. Then find somewhere to colocate it (you can get pretty cheap colo). Dell also provides onsite tech support etc etc.
    Good Luck!

its not a website server. its hard to explain but my programmers and I know exactly the specs that work for us.

I can go up to $650 a month without going over our 1100 dollars a month expenses.

Originally posted by rofa
    I can go up to $650 a month without going over our 1100 dollars a month expenses.
    How much bandwidth do you need with this configuration, and what size of setup fee are you willing to pay? Based on the server specs alone, while it is a high order, I dont think it should be impossible, especially not with the WHT crowd.

Willing to pay up to $100 in setup costs. $0 would be great, or maybe $100 setup will include some sort of discount.

I need 1000GB of bandwidth.