Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HostGator 2 Week Review

I signed up with HostGator nearly 2 weeks back. I have had a truly joyful experienced. I am on their Aluminium package.

Account Setup

I sent my account request in the morning (GMT). My account was setup within an hour.

Next day, I requested WHMAP to be installed. After several mails back & forth in which I discused the fine points of WHMAP with their support tech, I got my link to WHMAP.

I tried to install it, but due to some problems with my FTP, I couldn't. So, I asked them to install it for me and paid them 25$.

They installed it and got back to me with the link within half an hour!

Support

I usually contact the Live Support as its quick. I've found my experience much beter than many others here, prolly because they changed their staff. All my small queries about WHMAP were handled prompty and they were very helpful.

I've also sent them tickets once or twice and mostly they're answered within 15 mins. Only once it took half an hour or 45 mins.

Uptime & Quality Of The Servers

The Uptime has been 100% so far.

Their server load has always been very low. At present it is 0.33 . The speed has been really good.

Conclusion

Till now, its been a great journey! I would like to thank the HostGator staf! You guys rock! I would recommend them to everyone who needs a good reseller.

I hope to continue with them for a long time.
    Techy Bubble

A Truly Remarkable Web Hosting Is Coming Soon! We won't change the world or anything. We will just make it better....

Thank you for taking the time to post a good review about a Company, specially when people just forget to do this when they find a good Host

Yea, I think HostGator deserves a return for their service.
    Techy Bubble

A Truly Remarkable Web Hosting Is Coming Soon! We won't change the world or anything. We will just make it better....

I agree, I've had a couple of accounts with hostgator and they have been great.

Yeah, a friend of mine has a hostgator account, and I hear nothing but praise.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Nice to hear Blue Blossom, its always good to hear from people which are happy with their host these days.

Its nice to see more of the good comments for hostgator, Theres alot of critics but real nice to see there is alot of satisfied customers too.
    Good luck for the future.

Thanks Naz. I dunno why and where the problems have sprung up from. I definately like the staf out there specially Brent. He's very nice.
    Techy Bubble

I also have a friend who has an account with Hostgator and I onyl hear positive things as well, so props to the gators

Thank you everyone for the comments! if you ever need extra help for any reason I'm only an e-mail away.
    -brent

Nice to hear some nice comments over here
    Portugal Networks
    Shared and Reseller cPanel Accounts. NEW! Windows 2003 with Plesk, ASP.NET 2.0 and MSSQL 2005.

Thanks for the review, I'll use it as a referrence in the future.

Hrmm, I am gonna be signing up for a reseller account With HG soon.

How many servers does Host Gator have?

( Just out of curiosity )

Thanks

Ask the tough questions

Seeing that Hostgator are active in this thread, can you tell every one that you don't provide ioncube when most other hosts do and the reasons why you don't and how this will affect the running of certain scripts.

Quote from Hostgator -"We have disabled dl() function in php due to an issue with virus spreading over the servers. So ioncube install is currently not possible. Is there an alternative you can use?" NO THERE ISN'T - I HAVE TO MOVE MY SITE TO ANOTHER HOST.

Another frustrating thing I find about hostgator, they expect you to be an expert. When asking several questions, you answer one correctly and then halfway through the second question, your live support person disappears, never to appear again leaving you hanging for an hour until you give up in disgust.

Lyn

Ioncube is fine with us. Do you have a ticket number I can view were you were told it wasn't? Please PM me with it.

If you're having problems with live chat please only use the ticket system. We are working hard to replace the Indian chat support however do not have all shifts covered yet.

The support ticket number is [HGSupport #AKX-53378-266], I have nearly 20 sites on hostgator and another 10 happening, but have been talking to new hosts because of this problem.

Lyn

Cool down, Lyn. How is the outcome?

Had a good response from Hostgator.

Stated they were using an India support crew and were changing that.

They fixed the problem that I was having which was a problem as I had sitse where the scripts wouldn't function. Now it's ok and I will keep my account there as it was going to be a major hassle moving them.

Lyn

Sorry for the sorrow note but two weeks is nothing to give a review on a host, kinda like saying I love my phone company but was only connected yesterday.

Not so sure I even like the comment made by Host Gator 'We are working hard to replace the Indian' chat support however do not have all shifts covered yet.

Sounds a little racist, ok so they are from India, I have Dell computers and deal with tech support in India, they have always been quite knowledgable.

Originally posted by lynette11
    Had a good response from Hostgator.

Stated they were using an India support crew and were changing that.

They fixed the problem that I was having which was a problem as I had sitse where the scripts wouldn't function. Now it's ok and I will keep my account there as it was going to be a major hassle moving them.

Lyn
    Nearly 50% of the companies in America out-source their tech support to India.

It's sad really.

Originally posted by ScreamingEaglePC
    Nearly 50% of the companies in America out-source their tech support to India.

It's sad really.
    Care to share the source of that statistic?
    Plexi Hosting and Web Services LLC - Solid hosting, gift cards

TalkShoe - Live, interactive podcasts

Originally posted by Plexi_Hosting
    Care to share the source of that statistic?
    Ok , I should say 50% of the companies*** outsource tech support in General..

HostGator
    RCA
    AOL
    Hewlett Packard
    7/11 - LOL

Who knows how many more..

Since I'm required to be specific now, I'll do it TOS Style.

*** = Companies, meaning any company that has Over the Phone, or Live-over-IP Tech Support.

Sorry that it was offensive to ask for backups for random statistics thrown out. Of course, most people would agree at least 50% of the time

So your answer to my question is to define "company" in the context of a list of some who do. Granted they are pretty big companies and the information is appreciated. However, it doesn't answer where you got the statistic so I'll assume you threw it out there. Thanks.

Sorry that it was offensive to ask for backups for random statistics thrown out. Of course, most people would agree at least 50% of the time

So your answer to my question is to define "company" in the context of a list of some who do. Granted they are pretty big companies and the information is appreciated. However, it doesn't answer where you got the statistic so I'll assume you threw it out there. Thanks.
    Hehe! No problem

Definition of Company: "Large enough customer base to need Phone-based or Internet Based Live Support".

And as to how I got my statistics..

Let's just say I have delt with alot of companies in my time, and in my line of previous work..

I'm not happy about what I use to do, I hated it to death.. And that job was..

telemarketer

telemarketer
    AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Now I see where you are comin' from

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Now I see where you are comin' from
    Yup! I quit that job after about 3 months.. I hated bothering people and other companies..

The only good thing that came out of it, was I was put on a list to where I won't be telemarketed.. (See.. The Do-Not-Call registry has loopholes that these companies can use to get to your phone, and still be in compliance with the Registry..

When you become a telemarketer.. It's like having diplomatic immunity..

But I hated it to DEATH!

Anyhow.. Sorry I hijacked the thread.

It's sad really. [/B]
    It's sad, that true. But, business owners like myself aren't given much choice. No one in the US would do the things I'd like done for the price I can afford.

Outsourcing also is a direct outcome of an everchanging, shrinking world. Imagine the world without the internet. In that scenario, we would not worry too much about outsourcing the little things like chat support, telephone answering, etc. (We didn't ten years ago.) But, in large part because of the internet...

Now, imagine living without the internet, and cell phones, and ipods. What did we ever do....

I just got off support with Hostgator. I wanted to install a crm application that requires 10mb limit in the php.ini; and they just told me they cannot do it because of security unless I move to dedicated server.

Can my request leave that much security hole to deny me my application or I should start looking somewhere else?
    Ayserve.net - Fast, Reliable & Cost-effective Web Hosting
    DomainsQED - Fast & Easy Domain Registration

Support forum :: Yahoo: ayservelimited | MSN: ayserve | AOL: ayserve
    :::: CPanel :: Linux :: MySQL :: Web Development ::::

Out of curiosity - can anyone shed light on why the OP had his account banned?

ays what is your ticket number? If you do not have one please open one.

My ticket number is [HGSupport #EZS-26400-708].
    Ayserve.net - Fast, Reliable & Cost-effective Web Hosting
    DomainsQED - Fast & Easy Domain Registration

Support forum :: Yahoo: ayservelimited | MSN: ayserve | AOL: ayserve
    :::: CPanel :: Linux :: MySQL :: Web Development ::::

Originally posted by nookphase
    Not so sure I even like the comment made by Host Gator 'We are working hard to replace the Indian' chat support however do not have all shifts covered yet.

Sounds a little racist, ok so they are from India, I have Dell computers and deal with tech support in India, they have always been quite knowledgable.
    I don't see this as being racist. No where is he bashing the race of said Indians in his comment.

He is insinuating that he was using poor quality outsourced support reps and is in the process of replacing them. This outsourced support happens to be based in India, hence the term "indians". Maybe the way he worded it wasn't as eloquent as it could have been, but none the less, the statement hardly constitutes racism unless a cynical mind twists it to do so.

Many people are disgusted with the whole outsource to India craze going on right now. I think he was attempting to garner support from that crowd opposed to a racist one.

It's annoying when people jump on the racism bandwagon so easily without putting any thought into their speech.

Obviously he knew what he was doing when he wrote "Indian" not like a slip of the toungue. Maybe he thought it's use would do exactly that
    {I think he was attempting to garner support from that crowd}

I expect more when something is coming from someone representing a hosting company, read through some of these threads as the represenitives post back, Some are professional but many are not, they choose their own fate when replying childishly here.

I am not saying that Hostgator responds childishly, however many do. I realize that many that opt for hosting/end clients are not professional themselves but resorting to the same level will never make any host look good in my book.

I think, you all need to find something more important to whine about.

I think, you all need to find something more important to whine about.
    Please, no one is trying to rehash anything but if someone quotes you, it is only natural to respond. Go back and read my original, I said 'sounds a little'

Well, sorry, but people went past that, until you brought it back up.

All I'm saying, is bickering about racism on a hosting board isn't going to get you anywhere. So, just drop it and leave it where it lie! Okay?

@screamingeagle, I did not bring it back up, someone quoted me. I really did not mean it to get that much attention.

No harm no foul

We all read here, and we do scrutinize each post when added. The point being that when deciding on a particular host, I know I will review their posts to see how professional they are. I am not naming names, nor trying to discredit any but when they post email correspondense/instant messages just does not look very copasetic. Maybe they try to validate something but in the end look much worse.

Myself I do not believe emails should be made so public. if someone sends me an email, I will not make a public display ofit in a forum/whatever

Now to positive hosts that I have seen here. Site 5 looks quite good and Hosting Zoom looks attractive. Varhostingnet is also in the running although I believe that the tech from varhosting has an account disabled here, not really sure what that means if anything

@screamingeagle, I did not bring it back up, someone quoted me. I really did not mean it to get that much attention.

No harm no foul

We all read here, and we do scrutinize each post when added. The point being that when deciding on a particular host, I know I will review their posts to see how professional they are. I am not naming names, nor trying to discredit any but when they post email correspondense/instant messages just does not look very copasetic. Maybe they try to validate something but in the end look much worse.

Myself I do not believe emails should be made so public. if someone sends me an email, I will not make a public display ofit in a forum/whatever

Now to positive hosts that I have seen here. Site 5 looks quite good and Hosting Zoom looks attractive. Varhostingnet is also in the running although I believe that the tech from varhosting has an account disabled here, not really sure what that means if anything
    That's a long story.. Let's just say VARHOSTING had "bad representation", being their owner, on here who needed to pick his words a little wiser

Short winded here then,

It is all about finding the right host, I have never committed less than a year, but find it hard to commit for two years upfront.

Very Professional=Fatcow hosting
    My first host ever was Fatcow and while they did not offer alot, what I did get was incredible uptime. Only once in my first year was there a downtime and I was notified in advance{one week} of their planned downtime.

Once you get spoiled by cpanel it is hard to choose a host that offers much less.

Short winded here then,

It is all about finding the right host, I have never committed less than a year, but find it hard to commit for two years upfront.

Very Professional=Fatcow hosting
    My first host ever was Fatcow and while they did not offer alot, what I did get was incredible uptime. Only once in my first year was there a downtime and I was notified in advance{one week} of their planned downtime.

Once you get spoiled by cpanel it is hard to choose a host that offers much less.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/newthr...read&forumid=3

Let's try and stay on topic, and save the advertising and reviews for other topics

Let's stay on HostGator in this topic in the mean-time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast