Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hong Kong getting 1Gbit home connections!

Hong Kong Broadband Launches 1 Gbps Home Service for US$215/month
    Hong Kong Broadband Network (HKBN) officially launched its 1 Gbps symmetric service for the residential market. Approximately 800,000 households, out of a total of 2.2 million households in Hong Kong, are wired to receive the service. The 1 Gbps symmetric service is priced at US$215 per month.

HKBN noted that its 1 Gbps service is up to 166x faster downstream and 1,950x faster upstream than the advertised bandwidth of the incumbent's ADSL service.

HKBN Premium bb1000 service is being offered on the same metro Ethernet infrastructure that delivers the company's Mass Market bb100 (symmetric 100 Mbps for US$34/month) and Entry Point bb10 (symmetric 10 Mbps for US$16/month) services.
    http://www.ctinets.com/

21-Apr-05
    Source http://www.convergedigest.com/Bandwi...e.asp?ID=14545

I would be more than happy with the 100Mbit for $34

In reality it's only local, so nobody really needs that much speed.

W00T i want that speed

Originally posted by snapya
    W00T i want that speed
    Why? Hardly any server can support those speeds for you d/l from and those that can, are very few and I doubt you'd be d/ling the same thing everyday.

And soon hong kong will have a 20 fold increase in closet datacentres=p

I dont get why a home user would need 1 Gbps.. i mean - how many hosts even offer upload speeds that fast
    www.Yekaroo.com - Your Chinese Radio Online!

Originally posted by Rob83
    Why? Hardly any server can support those speeds for you d/l from and those that can, are very few and I doubt you'd be d/ling the same thing everyday.
    I hadn't thought of that side of the equation before. Here in Australia some ISP's are installing there own DSLAMS into Telstra's exchanges so they can offer ADSL2 and ADSL2+ at speed of 24000K/1000K. Telstra have there own DSLAM's set to a max of 1500k

What seed can the majority of ISP servers handle??

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Originally posted by TheDoctor

Doc
    Here in the U.S., Verizon installs Fiber to the home and offers 15mb/2mb packages. BellSouth is install ADSL+2 in their territory. They plan on offering 4-6mb down and 500kbps - 1mb upload. The ADSL+2 can obviously handle much much more, but they are also adding voice and IPTV over the same ADSL+2 line. OOL offeirs 10mbps/1mbps over their coax cable line.

Anything higher than 15mbps download and 2mbps upload for a residential line is worthless. You won't notice a diff. in browsing on a 2mb line and a 10mb line.

Apparently you guys don't use much BT, ED2K, Usenet..

Originally posted by TheDoctor
    I hadn't thought of that side of the equation before. Here in Australia some ISP's are installing there own DSLAMS into Telstra's exchanges so they can offer ADSL2 and ADSL2+ at speed of 24000K/1000K. Telstra have there own DSLAM's set to a max of 1500k

Doc
    Taking Australia as an example the take up of peering services where 1 gig connection is about AU$1500 (aprox the same as a 2-3mbps tire one connection) ADSL 2 shouldn't be a problem for most who have proper peering services in place.

As for hong kong as far as I know they have limited external connectivity so I don't think they'll be able to pull down anywhere near 1gbps or even 100mbps to the US.

Originally posted by westcan
    Again, you're speeds are only as good as the person you are downloading from.

Originally posted by westcan
    lol. I'm just wondering though, what keeps them from running this connection as a business connection for a home datacenter, or such?

Originally posted by fortress
    lol. I'm just wondering though, what keeps them from running this connection as a business connection for a home datacenter, or such?
    Ports are blocked, etc.

wow thats crazy ;o can they really sustain it?
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Originally posted by Lord
    wow thats crazy ;o can they really sustain it?
    Picture it like this:

They have 1 big lan network that supports 1GB Speeds. Everyone is connected to 1 big LAN. Now the actually Internet speeds are not 1GB, but the users computer to the server of the ISP is 1GB.

Depends on how you look at it. Most people would say that a 10Mbit D/U would be more than enough!

Let’s look at that.
    You can store your personal music, movies, files etc. etc. etc. and access them when you go to your friends.

Now I have the problem of burning a DVD-RW or taking my 1GB memory stick with me

But still 10Mbit would be to slow
    @10Mbit upload 5GB would take 70minutes at maximum speed! In really it might take 2 hours.

But 3 years from now 5GB is nothing. With Blue-Ray being 50GB(and more) and harddisk having 1TB (and more) in 2008. I would say, sharing 35GB of personal files (personal video, audio etc etc etc) would be more like it

@100Mbit upload 35GB would take 50 minutes at maximum speed! In really it might take 1.5 hours.

So looking at the future I would say that 100Mbit+ connections for home users would be a must!

I currently share more than 2GB of personal video and files with family and friends over the world. A quality 2 hour vacation video + pictures take up around 700Mb alone!!! With every device having a camera and the need for people to share their world with their friends and family will increase!

1Gbit is still an extreme speed. 54Mbit - 100Mbit would be more like it in 2008.

Interesting, I'd love an internet that fast.
    Won't this mean that there will be a lot more attacks on servers though?

Question is

How will this effect webhosting?

dam and im still on my 1mbit line

Let's move quickly to HongKong. Where can I order 5 of them?

Originally posted by Johnburk
    Question is

How will this effect webhosting?
    none ?
    it is only in Hong Kong, and even if gets popular worldwide, it won't effect web hosting business imho.

Only having a huge connection won't make anyone a DataCenter.
    I mean, you can buy any ingredient from markets, internet. Any professional kitchen gadgets. There are zillions of free recipies, websites, TV radio programs about cooking food etc. Is it effects restaurant business? nope.
    It requires skills...
    DigiPun.ch
    An Awesome Digital Punch Clock
    Release date: October 1st

Only $215 a month? Is that all?

You will NOT get those same speeds to the USA or another country though. I bet the ISP has very poor routing so it will probably be less than 5mbits to other countries. Perhaps, it will be 1Gbits for local places but, I still see that as something not quite possible.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

http://www.drunkenantics.com/drucey/speed.jpg

You think YOU have it bad?!
    Last edited by drucey; 04-26-2005 at 04:47 PM.

let go and stay in hongkong
    * ´¨`*:·. .·:*´¨` * ~ X-Max ~ * ´¨`*:·. .·:*´¨` *
    I love Wikipedia.

if one can download at 1gbit speeds from his neighbour or friend 5 streets away then what you will see is more of the torrents and kazza like programs popping up around that will just increase piracy.
    Coreix™ | your solution™ www.coreix.net - 08000226734 - ISO27001 Certified
    Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Secure Cages - Enterprise & Managed Solutions - Clustering - LoadBalancing - High Availability - Hosted Exchange 2007
    NEW Tier III London DC with power sourced from 100% renewable sources, N+N UPS, N+1 Chillers and CRAC units, Mist Fire Suppression, Biometric and Man Trap security to all data areas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast