Best provider for large quantities of bandwidth?

I'm looking to get a dedicated server, but with an unusual twist - I need it to have an enormous quantity of bandwidth. Well, most dedicated hosts offer between 500 and 1500GB, with some being more generous and offering a few terabytes. This simply isn't enough. I'm looking somewhere around 5-7TB/mo, which is around 16-22Mbits of sustained transfer.

Well, there are quite a few hosts offering plans like this, but they all seem to fail in one regard:
    • Overpriced - some companies just want too much for their services.
    • Overpowered - I don't need some dual opteron or other high-end machine that sometimes accompanies these high-end connections. A celeron with 80GB of HD and 512 MB RAM will be enough for my purposes.
    • Premium datacenter - Too many providers anymore are charging a premium for premium bandwidth. This is for a media server, and doesn't need 35ms ping times and 42 different meshed upstream providers.
    • Fly-by-night operations. This goes without saying.

Can anyone offer any insight on this, and how to best go about getting a server of this nature set up, other than just assembling a box and paying for the colocation?

I am not sure about being overpriced but bandwidth do actually cost substantial money.

If you don't mind Cogent and 20mbps then the Servermatrix Unmetered deal would just suit you nicely

https://www.servermatrix.com/solutio...24_server.html

Originally posted by eddy2099
    I am not sure about being overpriced but bandwidth do actually cost substantial money.
    Cost is relative. I understand that large quantities of bandwidth cost significant amounts of money, I just want to make sure my money goes the farthest. You wouldn't put 93 octane gas in some mid-90's piece of **** 4-cyl, just as you wouldn't want to use premium bandwidth to colocate media.
    If you don't mind Cogent and 20mbps then the Servermatrix Unmetered deal would just suit you nicely
    I usually hate Cogent with a passion, but for something like this, their price per Mbps is hard to beat.
    servermatrix.com/solutions/mxc24_server.html
    I have a server at TP, and did check into SM. However, I still think there is probably a better undiscovered deal out there, plus, I haven't been thrilled with TP's customer service lately. SM can only be worse.

Excuse me for interrupting, but are you okay with stating your reasons for hating Cogent? They're a very decent ISP and almost all of their criticism comes from fly-by-night operations who don't know how to manage their uplinks properly (they oversell, and when the lag becomes unbareable they blame it on Cogent/their upstream provider.) Just wanted to make sure that you have a valid reason. I'm trying to cut down the amount of Cogent-hating-bandwagon members.

SM was the first to offer 20mbps for the same price you would pay for a 10mbps cogent plan elsewhere.

I pay $85 for a 10Mbps uplink at Hurricane Electric through a reseller. The bandwidth is excellent. So, kernelpanic, it's not hard to find decent bandwidth at an affordable price.

Originally posted by flashwiregsn
    Excuse me for interrupting, but are you okay with stating your reasons for hating Cogent? They're a very decent ISP and almost all of their criticism comes from fly-by-night operations who don't know how to manage their uplinks properly (they oversell, and when the lag becomes unbareable they blame it on Cogent/their upstream provider.) Just wanted to make sure that you have a valid reason. I'm trying to cut down the amount of Cogent-hating-bandwagon members.
    My dislike for Cogent comes from bad experiences, and seriously structural problems on their end. When I did have servers with Cogent upstram (at different times, from different providers)

While with Cogent, downtime was more than an occasional occurence. Not only that, congestion routinely was bad, causing bottlenecks at peak times. Cogent also has horrid peering arrangements, and the company itself is in a lot of debt, which makes me unsure of its ability to make capital improvements in line with its competitors in the near future.

But its still cheap, and perfect for serving media.

There are actually a plethora of companies that are currently pushing Cogent at very affordable rates. It shouldn't be too hard to find someone that fits the bill. Out of curiosity, what do you feel to be a "fair" or "reasonable" price for 16-22Mbit? If your price is fair and reasonable, you should have no problem finding a carrier who can offer you what you need.

Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

He.net is quite nice for your purpose.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Originally posted by Mfjp
    He.net is quite nice for your purpose.
    If downtime is "quite nice" then sure. I have news, folks.. the HE haters are NOT full of it. If those of you who have HE bandwidth aren't noticing the 10 to 20 minute outages that they have every week or two, then you need to pay more attention. Those anomalies on your graph are not inexplicable, they're what happens when HE sh**s the bed. This doesn't happen at 2am, it happens during the day, rather frequently. Let me just state, for the record, that any network with an all-GSR infrastructure (like HE) who isn't seriously in bed with Cisco is destined for problems.

The original poster made comments in regard to Cogent and their past performance. I'm not sure how far in the past this was (perhaps even 2 or 3 years), but these days, Cogent has it together. I would not discount your experiences in the past, as I have no experience with Cogent prior to 1 year ago.. but I can tell you that in present times, peering is excellent, and congestion is nonexistant. Many network operators, myself included, have no quams with adding Cogent into their outbound mix, and for good reason.

JHServers are currently reselling OrangeFiber servers at a very fair price (although as a recent thread shows, JH may not be reselling OF for long, so I suggest you get stuck in there soon if you want one).

OF network is fantastic, servers are fantastic, however JH's support is slow (although to be fair, Iv'e only contacted them twice, and my current ticket that seems to be taking forever is apperntly OF's fault, I rent server 662 as seen in the following thread).

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=399499
    http://www.jhservers.com/plans.html

kernel, how much do you want to pay?

Originally posted by shockuk
    JHServers are currently reselling OrangeFiber servers at a very fair price (although as a recent thread shows, JH may not be reselling OF for long, so I suggest you get stuck in there soon if you want one).

OF network is fantastic, servers are fantastic, however JH's support is slow (although to be fair, Iv'e only contacted them twice, and my current ticket that seems to be taking forever is apperntly OF's fault, I rent server 662 as seen in the following thread).

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=399499
    http://www.jhservers.com/plans.html
    We do have new plans coming, I dont know how long OrangeFiber's network will stay as it is. Remember, managed.com started the same way

I would also suggest OF to you. I have a 100 Mbit server there and was able to pull off near 100 Mbit. The support worked with me and seemed very responsive. If you are looking for a great value, OF would be the one. They provide the type of entry level server you are looking for as well as high bandwidth. So far my server runs great and exceeds my expectations for paying such a low cost.

Here are places I use for nice bandwidth.

Servermatrix
    HiVelocity
    Servers4sale
    blackicehosting(looks like their offer may have changed)

For your needs, I highly recommend you contact http://www.egihosting.com. They're the best in the business and offer very AGGRESSIVE pricing for media customers. Contact them and I'm sure they can get you a custom quote for a dedicated 25Mbps connection on a FastE. EGI Hosting is going to give you the best pricing and the best service hands down for your needs. They're very experienced in this and know what they're doing. They're the biggest reseller of HE.net bandwidth.

Check Ezzi.net, pretty good deal, but server spec is quite low end though.

stay away from hivelocity..i had a server and the network is down a lot and all they tell you is "we are working on adding more backbone providers"

Two words

Load Balancing

If you can't find what you need in one server, get two or 3 and balance the load between them, many of our users find this to be the best solution for similar scenarios.