Thread: domain pointers

Question domain pointers

Looking for a new host this week and we learned about "domain pointers". Ordinarily we would have three hosting accounts (all small) and pay a few bucks each month for each of them. But then along came these 'domain pointers' and now it seems that we can buy one medium account and split it up three ways? Is that how domain pointers work? We're being told that if we have three accounts;

NumberOne.com
    NumberTwo.com
    NumberThree.com

...that we can buy the one account for NumberOne.com and then just share it with NumberTwo.com and NumberThree.com. Is that how domain pointers work? Are there any disadvantages to them? Thanks.

In Cpanel world, what you are describing is called AddOn domains. I am not sure if this is the pointer you are refering to, but those addon domains do what you want. You can have several domains point to different directories and have 3 websites or more...

The advantages are of course economic. You buy 1 account instead of 3. Disadvantages would be that all of the domains have 1 control panel, and so have 1 login. Also, it wouldn't be possible for you to divide the disk space and bandwidth among the domains so one of them may eat up the whole quota.

Of course, these disadvantages affect you if the 3 domains were run by different people, but if they were all yours, then you can go ahead and do it.

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Wazeh
    [B] Disadvantages would be that all of the domains have 1 control panel, and so have 1 login.
    Hello Wazeh Thank you for helping out. Wouldn't one control panel be an advantage if all the sites were your own? You'd have one central place to do everything...

If they are all your own sites then it does not make a big difference. One thing though, with Add-on domains , only the main account would have email access and not the add-on domains. Each site would reside in a folder under the main site.

Yes if they are all yours then go for it.

If the server is set up correctly and runs cPanel, then he could park each of the 2 extra domains on subdomains and each of those would have their own cpanel. Provided the server and cPanel are set up like that.

I am not sure what exactly are you looking at. If you are referring that you need to host completely three different web-site then you will have to have the feature similar to Addon domain in the cpanel. But in case you want all the domains pointing to a single web-site then you will have to look for domain pointers or domain parking. It is not atall necessary that you require different control panels for managing all the three domains. You can manage them through the single control panel itself.

I am looking into this with 1and1, should save me a nice $60-80 a month.

Question

Originally posted by eddy2099
    One thing though, with Add-on domains , only the main account would have email access and not the add-on domains.
    Would I be able to get around that by getting something like this from GoDaddy?

Add-On E-Mail

I have a question on this subject, too. When you have these add-on domains that point to a subdirectory of domainone, what is in the address window on the browser when I enter domaintwo.com? Does it say domaintwo.com or domainone.com/domaintwo (or even domaintwo.domainone.com)?

Does it say domaintwo.com or domainone.com/domaintwo (or even domaintwo.domainone.com)?
    It would say domaintwo.com . From the outside, you would not know it is using a subdirectory.

Would I be able to get around that by getting something like this from GoDaddy?
    I would guess you could do that. Alternatively, you could sign up for a reseller's account which would give you full control over setting up your multiple sites with their own unique email addresses. The reseller's account is not for just reselling but can be used by anyone.

Originally posted by eddy2099
    Alternatively, you could sign up for a reseller's account which would give you full control over setting up your multiple sites with their own unique email addresses.
    The resellers account cost twice as much and offers less transfer, so it's not even an option for me

Bubble,
    If you are on cpanel, you can setup email on those added domains

Originally posted by Wazeh
    Bubble,
    If you are on cpanel, you can setup email on those added domains
    Hello Wazeh Thank you. I will look into that