West Coast Dedicated....

I'm about to finalize my searching and go with managed.com.... I would have rathered went with bchosting.com if they picked up their phones . Before I make my decision would anyone like to divert me to someone else or point me in another direction? thanks...

Requirements
    =========
    p4 2.8 or higher
    1gb ram or higher
    1000gb transfer or higher
    120gb hdd
    10mbit port

and preferably in the vancouver/seattle area.

Server will be used for mabye 1 or 2 game servers and webhosting. I need a good ping!!!

Justdedicated.com, a subsidiary of BayColocation. EXCELLENT ping times, excellent uptime and SLA. Located in Fremont, California at Hurricane Electric. It's probably the best you will find that close to Seattle.

I ping better to managed.com :/ It also seems their site links don't work.

Originally posted by Clevich
    I ping better to managed.com :/ It also seems their site links don't work.
    Yeah, their site is new. It was put up a week ago, but they are accepting orders through email. They can offer a P4 HT 3.0Ghz with 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD and unmetered 10Mbit uplink for $180 (around that price. It might have changed, though.)

We used Simpli in West Coast. Uptime of Above.net is fairly outstanding. We had only detected about 2 minor issues in the last year, and usually quite short at that (about an hour each)
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

have a link to their site?

Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

HE.net may not be the best choice for game servers. Some of the subnet have latency problem due to ddos in the past. I'm not sure how they are now.

I heard managed.com had gotten better from the past as well. Also, if you're running a few game servers and such, you probably won't need a 10mbps port

ethr.net

price is a bit expensive, but you wont regret paying those extra $.
    current and satisfied customer of softlayer.com and webnx.com

I think I'm going to go with managed.com. Although this host was last on my list, I'll give them a try, seems as if they've been getting good reviews with their new managment.

Originally posted by Mfjp
    you probably won't need a 10mbps port
    Need more? less?

I don't think he actually meant unmetered, rather just the uplink speed. (10Mbps vs. 100Mbps)

Check out Swift Communcations in Seattle. www.swiftco.net

Apparently they are one of the largest Tier2 providers in the Westin Building and even provide transit for Shaw Cable.
    Justin Cassidy, Accentra Inc.
    www.faxmicro.com :: Your Internet Fax Solution
    www.tollfreeexpress.com :: Hosted PBX Solutions

Not quite next to you, but in Cali check out CalHost. I run a CS:CZ server there (I'm in michigan) and I get aobut 70 ms pings. They set up a QoS on my server and have been nothing but great guys to deal with.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Hm, I have a server with ethr (somehow I have access to it) and I love the network. All the goodies bandwidth in the mix

also have another question, what OS should I go with? My choices are:
    Fedora c1/c2, Debian 3.0, FreeBSD 5.1 ($50 Setup fee with cpanel), Debian 3.0, CentOS.

As stated above, I'll be using this for gaming and webhosting so I kinda want the best of both worlds

CentOS > All.

haha, but what about performance wise for the games?

I don't think you'll see much performance differences with the distribution you choose. We run CentOS on many of our boxes and it's rock solid.

thanks for your opinion will help me decide in the long run.

Ping 207.38.19.19 it is a server of mine in california, I am curious what times you will get.
    data center directory - The comprehensive data center resource. Version 2.0 coming soon!

Pinging 207.38.19.19 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 207.38.19.19: bytes=32 time=67ms TTL=48
    Reply from 207.38.19.19: bytes=32 time=67ms TTL=48
    Reply from 207.38.19.19: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=48
    Reply from 207.38.19.19: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=48

Ping statistics for 207.38.19.19:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 66ms, Maximum = 67ms, Average = 66ms

whose your provider?

Debian 3.0 :d

As far as which linux operating system you should go with that's really up to you. CentOS, Debian, Fedora, RHEL, etc... you are basically going to get the same performance out of any of them, a lot of it is what you are comfortable with. I would suggest CentOS 3.4 personally.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Originally posted by justadollarhostin
    Not quite next to you, but in Cali check out CalHost. I run a CS:CZ server there (I'm in michigan) and I get aobut 70 ms pings. They set up a QoS on my server and have been nothing but great guys to deal with.
    I have tried two different times in the last two months to order 1 dedicated server from CalHost and been given the brush off. It took them nearly 3 weeks the first order to even seend me a statement saying my server would be ready in 24-48 hours. 5 days later still nothing so I told them I did not want their service.

Earlier this week I was in need of another server for a customer decided to give them another shot. I even emailed one of the main people involved with CalHost. He got back to me pretty quickly. I let him know I was interested in give CalHost a shot at my money, and would like a dedicated server. He said fantastic. Sign up and we'll start processing immediately.

Again its been over 8 days and still no email response from my order I submitted. I've called their support number, no answer. I've emailed their support, no answer.

For me I will not deal with them ever again. Its quite rude they way they have treated me. I will simply stick with the current data center in Sacramento that I've been putting my customers on.

While you may have had a pleasant experience I have had anything but that. Your mileage may vary.
    Jacob Squires , CISSP

security assesment, network analysis

I was just going to order a server from them, they seems to have better ping times than managed.com (for game servers). bu yea thx for the review, i guess i will just stick with managed now.

Originally posted by jsquires
    I have tried two different times in the last two months to order 1 dedicated server from CalHost and been given the brush off. It took them nearly 3 weeks the first order to even seend me a statement saying my server would be ready in 24-48 hours. 5 days later still nothing so I told them I did not want their service.

Earlier this week I was in need of another server for a customer decided to give them another shot. I even emailed one of the main people involved with CalHost. He got back to me pretty quickly. I let him know I was interested in give CalHost a shot at my money, and would like a dedicated server. He said fantastic. Sign up and we'll start processing immediately.

Again its been over 8 days and still no email response from my order I submitted. I've called their support number, no answer. I've emailed their support, no answer.

For me I will not deal with them ever again. Its quite rude they way they have treated me. I will simply stick with the current data center in Sacramento that I've been putting my customers on.

While you may have had a pleasant experience I have had anything but that. Your mileage may vary.
    Who are you with? I too am looking for a good West Coast dedicated provider.

Hi Jacob,

No one outside the company would know this, but most of our existing cuswtomers do. We're a pretty small operation and our lead engineer was put in the hospital last week after a serious injury (fell off a ladder) and quite honestly it's all we can do to keep things running smooth (as smooth as he had it running anyway). I apologize for the non-response Jacob. We're so occupied with maintaining that I didn't address new customers. Best of luck at your next provider. Your frustration is completely understandable.
    Adam Lawson - AQORN
    OpenStack Professional Services. Commercial Support. Open-Source Cloud Management
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member & Corporate Sponsor
    Our Clients: AT&T | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

I have tried two different times in the last two months to order 1 dedicated server from CalHost
    our lead engineer was put in the hospital last week
    I'm sorry to hear about anyone being hurt, but did he travel back in time and injure himself?
    Fork Networking - 1995-2010+
    Colocation & Dedicated Hosting
    West Coast, 99.999% uptime.
    <www.forked.net>