Slow Interland Sever! Need suggestions!!

Hello,

I hold a slow dedicated server with Interland.
    There is no traffic on the server. (No users,

Can't Ping to it, as it has firewall, but I realy eager to Ping, as there are hours the site is EXTREMLY slow, comparing to any ohter site. (Even Alexa 'says': Very slow).

interland said:
    We have checked that all your NIC settings are according to your switchport connection (10 Mbit/ Half Duplex).

We have also performed a trace to v4windowsupdate.microsoft.nsatc.net site which is below (their firewall, as yours, rejects traces but you can see that it gets to MS Network).

Tracing route to v4windowsupdate.microsoft.nsatc.net [207.46.244.158] over a maximum of 30 hops:

68 ms 68 ms 68 ms hstntx1wcx2-pos9-1-oc48.wcg.net [65.77.93.205]
    8 68 ms 68 ms 68 ms anhmca1wcx2-pos12-0.wcg.net [64.200.240.66],

(and so on...)
    and that's the end of their letter.

I've learned nothing from their letter. TRCERT? thats all what they can offer? I'm not paying 600 usd/mo for being SO slow.

How should I check them?

1. For example, should I ask them to disable the firewall for a while, so I can PING to it?

2. I'm not sure DISABLing IT is the best solution, as the firewall itself may be the cause the problem, and disabling it can in order to Ping, can be deceptive

Thank you for your suggestions!

Sometimes restarting works.
    Funny Pics, Hot Chicks, and Cool Flicks!!!
    Get Opera, which is now ad-free and no licensing fee.

10 Mbps Half Duplex in itself is a rather slow connection. I would go ahead and disable the firewall (do you really need one anyhow?)

What kind of speeds are you looking for what is your current monthly transfer requirment & usage.

10BT half duplex is very old equipment but if your behind a 10BT router that won't make a bit of deffernce anyways. what type of connection do they say you have to the backbone?
    Area51.mn VPS, Dedicated & Colocated Servers.
    Area51 Computers Custom Servers & Gaming Systems. (Since 1998)
    NetAffect Email & Web Hosting Services. (Since 1996)
    Quality Systems & Service Since 1996

Originally posted by fordguy
    Sometimes restarting works.
    Done restart yesterday. Helped a bit. But the main problem wasn't resolved: Sometimes (not always) the site is so slow, while other sites are responding very quickly.
    BTW, My personal connection to the internet is great, and I'm not using big size images.

Thanks you anyhow!

Originally posted by Kiamori
    What kind of speeds are you looking for what is your current monthly transfer requirment & usage.
    Kind of speed i'm looking for:2-5 seconds per page.
    Monthly transfer requirments and usage: Almost nothing. Campaign has not been started yet.

10BT half duplex is very old equipment but if your behind a 10BT router that won't make a bit of deffernce anyways. what type of connection do they say you have to the backbone?
    I'm quite satisfied with the speed connection during the nights, so I know there is a good basic to start with:-) However, When I need it, it doesn't work: 10AM-4PM Est. is a nightmare. Is there a clue that this equipment can cause the problem?

Thanks!

Originally posted by NSCNAP Jeff
    10 Mbps Half Duplex in itself is a rather slow connection.
    Hello Jeff,
    I'm starting to suspect that this kind of connection configuration is causing the problem during the day hours.
    Again, the speed @ night is great, but the mornings speed is VERY bad.
    Sould I ask them to change it? 6 months ago, they changed the connection for my server. Since then the situation has got better, but it's still very slow during their busy hours.

I would go ahead and disable the firewall (do you really need one anyhow?)
    Acutally, I'm using their backup service, so I'm not sure I have to use their netscreen firewall. What do you say?

However, is there a way to live the firewall, but to configure it in a way that I can Ping to it? that's the only way I can check the actuall spead connection.

Firewall may slow the average connection during the whole 24 hrs.
    I'm not sure it's the main problem. I don't have traffice, but THEY have, and this affects the connection.

Your opinion is appreciated.

You should try 10mbits full duplex. With half duplex the performance can be quite bad.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Originally posted by sprintserve
    You should try 10mbits full duplex. With half duplex the performance can be quite bad.
    Thanks for sharing your experience!
    I really gonna start with it.

Are you sure it's not the server itself - have you checked top etc?

Originally posted by vidahost
    Are you sure it's not the server itself - have you checked top etc?
    Yes. How can I be so sure? Since now it's fast , but within 4 hours it will be very slow.
    I've also checked it via some isp, I have very simple graphics on it, I there are no dozens of installaions on it.
    Afternoons is the problem.
    Thanks!

Interland's answer

Thanks what I got from them:

"It's obvious that a half duplex connection is not going to allow for a lot of simultaneous traffic as send packets need to finish before you can receive packets. "

My question is:
    Does it mean that because I have a large traffic on the same time (which I haven't!) my users can't surf,

OR:

becaucse they are offering such a connection, other sites that using this kind of connection via interland are the cause of this low spead.

and they continue:
    "In order for us to disable your firewall (which is not the cause of your problems) or change your switchport to full duplex you must coordinate with your sales representative "

I'd expect a huge 'sorry' from their side, for getting $600/mo, for a very slow server, instead of sending me to their sales rep.

So, can you explain to me what they mean by accusing the simultaneous traffic. Do they mean a simultaneous traffic from my users in my site, or simultaneous traffic coming from their whole zone?

That reason sounds like a load of bull to me.

I'd be logged in to the server and running top, ps and vmstat to see what's going on.

Also perhaps you should install mrtg, you can get lots of useful statistics such as processor, RAM, network usage over time shown in pretty graphs, which will help show what's going on.

I was considering getting a server with Interland....guess I won't now.

It sounds like they are running multiple clients though a 10BT half duplex router and when the traffic gets high you are the one to suffer. I would backup, packup and find a better provider. You can get a very good system for $600/month. Just have a look around.

vidahost and Kiamori,

Yes, Thats what I'm gonna do. Check, and then decide.
    Can you specify please a software which I can check with?
    I need URL, if you can where I can download it.
    W2k server.

Thanks!

We have a client that I work for who has a VPS server at Interland. It is very slow also. Just FTPing is slow and the website is even slower. It can take anywhere from 5-10 seconds to send a 1KB file through FTP. Then I can turn around and connect to another server and it sends instantly. I'm wondering if it's something on their network.

Originally posted by interlander
    vidahost and Kiamori,

Yes, Thats what I'm gonna do. Check, and then decide.
    Can you specify please a software which I can check with?
    I need URL, if you can where I can download it.
    W2k server.

Thanks!
    http://www.paessler.com/prtg/?banner...sPRTGContentA2 looks like a nice program.

Originally posted by vidahost
    http://www.paessler.com/prtg/?banner...sPRTGContentA2 looks like a nice program.
    Thanks.
    Will check it out and post some results.