bandwidth costs vs advertising revenue balance

Background:
    I run a fairly large and growing Canadian content and forums site ( www.canadaka.net ).

Use to be on fastclick banner/add network, but had to switch to google adsense. Adsense was slow at first but now is increasing each month.

My site got a new server 2+ months ago, that sped up the site A LOT, since then the sites traffic has increased A LOT.

Situation:
    With the increas in traffic (average 11,000 unique visitors per day this month) my bandwidth hosting fees have skyrocketed! Where as my revenue from Google Sense has gone up as well, it has not done so enough to cover the inscrease in bandwidth cost, so I am loosing money!

I'm looking for suggestions on how I can bring back balance to the force, heh. Suggestions of othe ways to generate revenue, ect. Also would like to hear how some other large sites manage, if this is a common problem.

Here are the hosting costs for alst month. Unfortunatly I can't post my google results though.
    Colocation fee with 100GB
    $200

Extra bandwith fees (at $1.50 CDN per GB, i think thats a good price, was at $3 when i started, but since i use a lot now they lowered it)
    $117

Plus taxes (14%)
    Canada Kicks Ass Canadian content & forums! | Canadian Hottie.ca Sexy Canadian babes for free!

I'd get a server in a US datacenter as they generally give you around 1000GB+ bandwidth per month.
    Mark Stevens
    GHXhosting.com Ltd - Shared & Reseller Hosting
    (UK/US) Dedicated Servers & VPS
    Server-Help.co.uk Experienced Linux server admin for hire

Originally posted by StevensOnln1
    I'd get a server in a US datacenter as they generally give you around 1000GB+ bandwidth per month.
    I agree.. You must look for box in a data center that gives you more bandwidth..

I just checked.. a $200 server at servermatrix (https://www.servermatrix.com/solutions/sx24_server.html) gives you 1200 GB bandwidth per month.. that should end your worries..

Or is there any other problem that you need to be colocated?
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

The problem with moveing to a US datacenter is that my website is a Patriotic Canadian website, so i have tried to keep it all in Canada. But that aside I own my own rack server, so moving it to a datacenter in like texas is a bit of an issue.

I currently colocate through Canada Web Hosting at the Peer 1 datacenter in downtown Vancouver, which is where I live.

but hearing that other companies offer 1200GB a month!!! makes me mad.
    Canada Kicks Ass Canadian content & forums! | Canadian Hottie.ca Sexy Canadian babes for free!

You can do much better than what you're paying now...even with a Canadian host. Do some price shopping.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I did look around a fair amount, CWH seemed like a good deal, when i wasn't using much bandwidth.

But I already found another company that has a Datacenter in vancouver, in the same Peer1 facility i think for $199 CDN a month that includes 500GB a month
    http://www.netnation.ca/products/colo_rm.php

One reason I stayed with http://www.canadawebhosting.com is thats where i had my normal hosting account, then my shared dedicated.

if anyone knows of any other good co-lo hosting in Vancouver or even seattle i guess...

Host costs aside, anyone have any usggestions on how to generaate some revenue on top of google adsense?

I believe there's a company that operates out of Montreal that had competitive bandwidth rates. I can't remember their name, but they do post at WHT.

Prioritycolo.com operates out of Toronto.

Cut a deal with your current host to up your bandwidth for a reasonable amount of money, so that you don't have overage charges... just maybe a bit more of a monthly charge.

As for more revenue... sell banner ad space or something. I've never been able to run a site purely off of adsense.
    TrapZero Hosting
    Web, Forum, E-mail hosting and more for business and personal users. Accepting PayPal.

FMVperformance Automotive Communities

Ask your members for donations.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

You might want to check out iWeb.ca their datacenter is in Montreal.
    PrimeHost Inc. - Canadian Web Hosting PrimeHost.ca - Canada's Prime Web Host
    █ Reliable Web Hosting for Business and Personal Websites on Canadian Servers

ev1servers offer Dual servers with ample 2000GB Transfer, this is the server I've got. Reliable and fast.

Try bchosting.com, prioritycolo.com, netelligent.ca, iweb.ca all canadian hosting companies.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

A fellow Canuck here. Look, if Canada Web Hosting colocated with Peer1, odds are slim to none of you getting such a good deal because Peer1 data transfer is very expensive ($1/GB in ADVANCE to colo customers).

I am in your shoes and I'm looking at NetNation's dedicated for $200 US and 500 GB transfer. Here is a good company that will also do server management for free which you need because I mean as you expand the LAST thing you want to do is worry about security and uptime. The company I work for is seriously hampered from growth because we chose colocation. Trust me, even if you own the hardware, it may not be worth it. Thing of the cost of 24 hr monitoring by staff... thats $1000/month at least for a proper full time staff to monitor your dedicated box, not to mention the security services they offer free.

problem is i have investiged the money and already own 2 rackservers, so i don't want to go back to renting a dedicated server.

It would seem that you could rent a dedicated server in the new datacenter, migrate to it, then have your boxes forwarded to the new datacenter as well and get everything back up and running on your hardware.

1 month's dedicated rental might be cheaper than sticking with the current setup.

Originally posted by Canadaka
    problem is i have investiged the money and already own 2 rackservers, so i don't want to go back to renting a dedicated server.
    Go for Canadian co-location.

wow, brought this thread out of the grave, heh

but still an issue.

Hmm, I am very keen to keep my server close to me << removed response to removed post >>
    Last edited by writespeak; 04-06-2006 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aingaran
    I believe there's a company that operates out of Montreal that had competitive bandwidth rates. I can't remember their name, but they do post at WHT.

Prioritycolo.com operates out of Toronto.
    I believe your referring to iWeb. I visited iWeb last month and was impressed.

heres a tour of their dc...

http://www.chronichosting.com/images/iweb/iWeb.wmv

Contact

What is your email ? I will contact you to discuss I think we are both in the same position at PEER1 Toronto !

Quote Originally Posted by Canadaka
    wow, brought this thread out of the grave, heh

but still an issue.

Hmm, I am very keen to keep my server close to me << removed response to removed post >>