Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Antivirus?

Best Antivirus?

So what is the best AntiVirus in your opinion?

At the moment I am using a free one that I dont like a lot and want to change.

Thanks

Which free one? I like AVG www.grisoft.com

I find Norton AntiV the best, allthough it is a bit of a system hog

TheDonkey
    High Quality WebHosting
    www.beta-hosting.co.uk

I am using Symantec's Norton Internet Security, in my winXP machine for few years.
    I have never had any virus, maliciousware, backdoor trojan trouble.
    Same machine is connected almost 24/7, and got over 100 emails a day.
    DigiPun.ch
    An Awesome Digital Punch Clock
    Release date: October 1st

Does Norton scan zip files?

Originally posted by virginia
    Does Norton scan zip files?
    yes
    as well as other archives.
    DigiPun.ch

Any ideas on a simple spyware solution? Does Norton fix spyware problems too?

Donkey
    High Quality WebHosting
    www.beta-hosting.co.uk

Originally posted by TheDonkey
    Any ideas on a simple spyware solution? Does Norton fix spyware problems too?

Donkey
    No it doesn't fix, but blocks it from accessing internet.
    DigiPun.ch

http://d3linked.ath.cx/rp/av.txt

MKS_Vir is not exactly extremely well established, it isn't available in the US.
    AVK is kaspersky semi merged with Microsoft's anti-crapware.

Kaspersky 5.0 is being upgraded soon with a few features that MKS has, so I would suggest Kaspersky.

antivirus

try

lavasoftusa.com

Zonelabs.com

Originally posted by BurakUeda
    I am using Symantec's Norton Internet Security, in my winXP machine for few years.
    I have never had any virus, maliciousware, backdoor trojan trouble.
    Same machine is connected almost 24/7, and got over 100 emails a day.
    ^^ =) thats what i use, also, I think its the best,

My university uses OfficeScan Suite from Trend Micro for its whole computer system. I myself have been using PC-Cillin (Trend Micro) for nearly 3 years and see it very effective: detect and block all the viruses, spam, scan Outlook email, web mail, spyware, firewall, auto update.

The thing I don't like Norton Antivirus System because of its huge loaded stuff when running, eating the system resource and making the system run in an unstable state. Many of my friends have said that.
    Last edited by janov; 04-27-2005 at 01:45 PM.
    http://www.ferosoft.com
    Solid and Innovative eSolution for People's Everyday Problems

Use e-Trust AntiVirus, there simply is nothing better some features include:

http://www3.ca.com/smb/proddetailcon...ID=5278#better

Live Background Scanning
    Uses very little memory
    Automatic definition updates

It has never, I repeat NEVER let me down, and I have had this computer covered with it for over 5 years gaining around 1000 + viruses in that time scale.

I can't recommend it enough

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Yep, I never get viruses either. I just have spyware problems sometimes and they can be really nasty to remove.
    High Quality WebHosting
    www.beta-hosting.co.uk

If you want the funny answer then the best antivirus is to never load anything on your computer and do not connect to the Internet.

I like either Symantec or McAffee
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

I use Norton Antivirus 2002 in my desktop and 2005 in my laptop. NAV has always had good compatibility, and it has successfully quarantined incoming email viruses without missing any so far. Disadvantage: Live update subscriptions have been increasing in price.

I tried AVG 7.0. Probably good for most but it had a compatibility problem with Eudora 4.2. I had to disable scanning of outgoing email to be able to send. After going around in circles with tech support Grisoft agreed to a refund on condition I agree to uninstall, delete my copy, and forfeit update for that registry number (probably the part they could enforce if I didn't honor my part).

Years ago I tried McAfee. It jammed my computer. I was able to boot to safe mode to uninstall it. I returned it for refund under warranty. After 1 month I contacted support online to inquire about my refund. After a few more weeks I called and they said they never got my returned product and never got my support inquiry. I complained to Santa Clara DA and I got my refund. Then they sent me "special offers" to the email address which they could not possibly have had unless they got the support inquiry they claimed to never have received. Maybe they're improved the product since then, but I would never want to buy from that company.

I'm a big fan of the McAfee internet suite. Antivirus, Firewall, Spamkiller and Privacy stuff together for about $50 (see www.mcafee.com). Each application is seperate, and then integrated in the "Security center" - so if you don't want the spamkiller/privacy part then you just don't need to install it.

I've been using it for 2 years, never had any real problems with it
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

NOD32 - Never missed a virus in the wild VB100 Tests. www.nod32.com they have a free trial. Havent used a better one yet.

Originally posted by Disgruntled
    I use Norton Antivirus 2002 in my desktop and 2005 in my laptop. NAV has always had good compatibility, and it has successfully quarantined incoming email viruses without missing any so far. Disadvantage: Live update subscriptions have been increasing in price.

I tried AVG 7.0. Probably good for most but it had a compatibility problem with Eudora 4.2. I had to disable scanning of outgoing email to be able to send. After going around in circles with tech support Grisoft agreed to a refund on condition I agree to uninstall, delete my copy, and forfeit update for that registry number (probably the part they could enforce if I didn't honor my part).

Years ago I tried McAfee. It jammed my computer. I was able to boot to safe mode to uninstall it. I returned it for refund under warranty. After 1 month I contacted support online to inquire about my refund. After a few more weeks I called and they said they never got my returned product and never got my support inquiry. I complained to Santa Clara DA and I got my refund. Then they sent me "special offers" to the email address which they could not possibly have had unless they got the support inquiry they claimed to never have received. Maybe they're improved the product since then, but I would never want to buy from that company.
    RAV + Norton (2 way tie) - 315/321 6 Missed - 98.13%
    AVG Pro - 275/321 46 Missed - 85.66%

Originally posted by effusionx1
    Use e-Trust AntiVirus, there simply is nothing better some features include:

http://www3.ca.com/smb/proddetailcon...ID=5278#better

Live Background Scanning
    Uses very little memory
    Automatic definition updates

It has never, I repeat NEVER let me down, and I have had this computer covered with it for over 5 years gaining around 1000 + viruses in that time scale.

I can't recommend it enough

Jord
    ETrust - 301/321 20 Missed - 93.76%

Originally posted by EH-Stevo
    NOD32 - Never missed a virus in the wild VB100 Tests. www.nod32.com they have a free trial. Havent used a better one yet.
    NOD32 - 285/321 36 Missed (results identical with or without advanced heuristics) - 88.78%

Where are you getting this information from?

Lets just say, I will avoid telling anyone anymore before i get my head chopped off, take my information as you like, if you get victimized some day, but a damaging virus, don't say i didn't tell you

Take a look at a new update from Virus.gr if your interested in some detection rates.
    Direct link

I don't really care how well my AV does since I normally avoid dodgey things but it's nice to know that my ISP (Shaw) gives away a rebranded version of F-Secure for free.

tēsteve: good choice for a free AV, only problem is bypassing it is way too easy.

AVG 7 with daily updates has kept my client's PC's clean. I've never had a machine back with a virus with AVG.

I used to love Norton, but I have had far too many machines to clean with NAV, even with the auto update enabled and valid licenses.

Free AVG here also, no problems at all. I don't think I'm bothered too much about stats depicting my favourite choice as not the highest performer. I am computer smart, I don't have problems with e-mail attachments or downloading files and running virus infected files by mistake.. I have never had an infection and I've used Norton 2004 AV before and it was absolute rubbish, the worst piece of software I've ever come across and so have settled on AVG. It does all I need it to do (and more!!)

I have all other precautions in place, firewall, adaware etc. but I think being wise when you surf and download is also a major factor. Stats mean very little to me unless they are from testing on my own computer, under my own conditions and under my own daily usage.

Just my 0.02 cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast