* Junk Fax Prevention Act of 2005

http://www.junkfax.org/fax/legislation/jfpa.htm

Congress is about to do for junk faxes what they recently did for spam: Make it LEGAL as long as a qualified advertiser puts an "opt out" notice on the faxes!

Deja vu... haven't we seen this before... This is garbage!!!!!!! NOW SPAM IS BEING SENT OFFLINE AS WELL!!!!!!!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Re: Junk Fax Prevention Act of 2005

Originally posted by The Dude
    http://www.junkfax.org/fax/legislation/jfpa.htm

Congress is about to do for junk faxes what they recently did for spam: Make it LEGAL as long as a qualified advertiser puts an "opt out" notice on the faxes!

Deja vu... haven't we seen this before... This is garbage!!!!!!! NOW SPAM IS BEING SENT OFFLINE AS WELL!!!!!!!!
    Uhh under The Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991, it is illegal for a company to send unsolicited fax messages.

If this law passes that you are talking about, then it sounds like it would ENTITLE THE SPAMMERS to be ALLOWED to send us unsolicited FAX messages as long as they put a "opt out". That's stupid.

We need to keep the current TCPA bill and NOT change it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telepho...on_Act_of_1991

some lawmakers are just ignorant. I've always wondered if they've recieved bribes or "favors" from the telemarketing industry for trying to pass or attempt some laws to be put into effect. Each time a telemarketer sinces a fax spam it costs that person 10 cents. I don't care if its 1 cent or $10.00 worth of fax spam. I expect to be reinbursed for the paper used to sling their **** around.
    Kerry Jones

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=390609

If this is passed before the above link is taken to court, do you think it would void the lawsuit?

I get at least 5 junk faxes a day -- and I don't even have a fax machine here - its my personal home number. Its annoying when they do it at 3 am. BEEP BEEP BEEEP

I have an email fax account so it's not that big of a pain, but this seems unreasonable.

Re: Re: Junk Fax Prevention Act of 2005

Really? I get about 2 to 3 faxes each week that are spam. What do I do or who I call to get people to stop?

Originally posted by Rob83
    Uhh under The Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991, it is illegal for a company to send unsolicited fax messages.

If this law passes that you are talking about, then it sounds like it would ENTITLE THE SPAMMERS to be ALLOWED to send us unsolicited FAX messages as long as they put a "opt out". That's stupid.

We need to keep the current TCPA bill and NOT change it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telepho...on_Act_of_1991

Originally posted by rockergrrl
    I get at least 5 junk faxes a day -- and I don't even have a fax machine here - its my personal home number. Its annoying when they do it at 3 am. BEEP BEEP BEEEP
    Every once in a while I'll get a wrong-number fax attempt. I usually boot up to Windows, and if the phone rings again I set WinFax to receive it. If I want to be nice about it I can annotate the fax file to say it was sent to the wrong number and send it back to them with WinFax.

Re: Re: Re: Junk Fax Prevention Act of 2005

Originally posted by Torith
    Really? I get about 2 to 3 faxes each week that are spam. What do I do or who I call to get people to stop?
    You call the # on the FAX and you tell them if they send you 1 more piece FAX you are going to report them to the FCC for violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991.

Furthermore, June 30th 2005 they will make it a law that will also require the sender to get prior consent:

http://www.the-dma.org/guidelines/ad...ingfaxes.shtml

Q: Do I need to get my customers' permission before sending them an unsolicited ad by fax?

*A: Yes. Effective June 30, 2005, you must receive your customers' written permission before sending them such a fax. Note carefully: after June 30, 2005, you cannot send a customer a fax asking for permission to fax. In addition, you can never send a prospect a fax asking permission to fax.
    Q: Can I fax ads to customers who ask not to receive anymore faxes?

A: No. The TCPA prohibits sending faxes to a person once they request to stop receiving faxes.
    Make sure you notate the time you call and who you spoke to. Inform them that you will keep that information (along with their FAX) on hand. Should you more rec more faxes, you will be contacting the FCC for violation of the TCPA OF 1991.

Works for me!

Originally posted by plexone
    I have an email fax account so it's not that big of a pain, but this seems unreasonable.
    what seems unreasonable, the law? When I worked at the brokerage firm, we'd recieve about 200 Faxes a day for our own business use, and an additional 200 in spam related. "Get a House Loan", "Get Medical Insurance", etc etc.

I'm personally tired of getting phone calls in the middle of the night, and they're fax calls.

Of course, on the caller ID they come up as "Unknown". Unfortunately, I don't have a fax machine here - especially attached to my home number (I use eFax for business fax).

I got 4 yesterday - one that was at 5am. Nothing like picking up the phone and hearing the abnoxious BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP.

Rockergrrl, is your computer connected to your phone line with a fax/modem? I think Windows comes with a basic fax program. It's usually not installed by default, but I think it can be installed from the Windows CD. I haven't experimented with it because I have been using WinFax, which has fancier features such as ability to edit and annotate the fax files. If you can install the fax program there is probably a way to tell it to answer the phone to receive an incoming fax. This should produce a printable file that may tell you who keeps calling. You could write a letter in your wordprocessor program and print to the fax program telling them to stop.

I actually don't have a dialup modem on my computer. Since I had DSL, when I built my computer, I didn't bother buying one (didn't need it).

Anytime I get junk fax, which is rare anymore, I fax them back a page thats all black with small white lettering in the middle that has my fax # and "Stop Junk Faxing Me"

With it being all black, the white letters forces their fax machine to print the black, thus using up their ink, tying up the machine while all 10 come thru.