Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    You may - many of us find it to be an annoyance or more though.
    I have nothing but respect for the mods at WHT, but did you expect a mod to come here and disagree with the owner?
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV
      0 Not allowed!

Nope - lol. :p
      0 Not allowed!

We could at a minimum, but anything more then that would be limited to the moderator sub-forums.

Originally posted by ANMMark
    I have nothing but respect for the mods at WHT, but did you expect a mod to come here and disagree with the owner?
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.
      0 Not allowed!

that whole 6kb takes so long to load :-D
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance
      0 Not allowed!

Well i got our banners halted until the dodgy one is removed.

Going to email inet tomorrow to ask if our remaining impressions can be used with the following attached banner placement, just a little idea we've been toying with and it wont annoy anybody
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new_banner_position.jpg  
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.
      0 Not allowed!

Go for it Matt! Perhaps we should all do one of those and send it to them...
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by UH-Matt
    Well i got our banners halted until the dodgy one is removed.

Going to email inet tomorrow to ask if our remaining impressions can be used with the following attached banner placement, just a little idea we've been toying with and it wont annoy anybody
    Good idea.
      0 Not allowed!

It would have looked so much better and less cluttered if they just redid it to include it into the iNet network bar (I'm sure iNet wouldn't feel to sorry about ditching that little iNet logo in turn for some good site5 checks ) - Right now with the double bar it looks hideous.

I also feel sorry for those of you who have paid for "top banner" advertising, because the site5 bar does steal most of its thunder.
    Lars-Christian.com - My somewhat inactive and fairly uninteresting blog.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Score one for marketing.
    Ding!

I think folks should calm down. It's just an ad bar. INET are most probably experimenting with this extra ad bar, and I can't see this lasting for anything more than a week.

Advertisers using the top banner are mainly doing so for branding, and not clicks, so it still is an effective branding device, although slightly diluted by the ad bar.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

It may be 'just an ad bar' but its the most irritating advert on the site. I was quite happy having adverts show until now.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm sure if you gave them enough money, they would probably redirect WHT to your site for a week Matt...it's worth a shot.
    avidInteractive
      0 Not allowed!

A week? iNET may wish to consider cutting a nice refund check to site5 and calling it even before the weekend. Failure to do so could definately damage the relationship they have with current top spot advertisers.
      0 Not allowed!

Indeed... I have been considering gettings some ads here. But with that up there I won't be doing it now.
      0 Not allowed!

LMAO - Has anyone taken a chance to go view some of the opinions from other inet owned forums?

I found these two which gave me quite the laugh:

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php...56&postcount=3

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php...25&postcount=9

Seems everyone is quite unimpressed.
    Last edited by Mekhu; 04-28-2005 at 07:07 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Correct - and we're all still waiting for a response.

Or is this place run by web servers only? :p
      0 Not allowed!

LMAO - Has anyone taken a chance to go view some of the opinions from other inet owned forums?

I found these two which gave me quite the laugh:
    Oh now that's it! I think some of the mods should head over there and defend iNet before this gets out of hand.
    avidInteractive
      0 Not allowed!

ROFL. That is the funniest thing I have seen all day.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, the mods can't really say anything. Too me the thing looks out of place. It could've been incorporated better with the iBar.

A few years ago when a former free hosting company, XOOM.com started their "XOOMbar" a few of the mods there spoke against it. What happened....the mods were discharged immediately and blocked from their site. What happened a few years later? Xoom merged with NBCi and then went down with the dot bombs.

Unlike XOOM, I don't see iNet going down, instead I see the opposite. They will be around for a long time.

Originally posted by ANMMark
    Oh now that's it! I think some of the mods should head over there and defend iNet before this gets out of hand.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.
      0 Not allowed!

Since when can you just make up an advertisement space, and not allow fair competition to other companies?
    since iNet owns the largest web hosting talk forum in the galaxy, that's since when.
    They can do what the bloody hell ever they please, and, sadly have done quite a bit to disrupt the user's experience here, with absolutely no consideration given to those users, or their feelings at all.

Sadly, the WHT experience hasn't really "benefitted" from iNet's ownership. If nothing, it's tremendously lost benefit.

Anyone remember This?
    Tomorrow when you come to WHT you will not see anything different. The layout is not going to change … the colors are not going to change … the forums are not going to change. The same can be said for next week, next month, and well into the future.
    Well, 2 years down the road, we've seen just how true that statement really is/was. iNet has turned WHT into their own personal marketing tool to do whatever they want with.

For better, or for worse, iNet now owns WHT and can do what the hell ever they want with it, even shut it down for a month if they chose to do so.

Go for it Matt! It won't annoy anyone there at all

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that WHT has finally reached some decent funding, but, iNet has gone just a little far, and continually shown a full lack of care for those that actually BRING them this money. This is just a prime example of that.

BTW:
    Who said anything about competition was "fair"?
    If this was affecting a banner post made by myself, I'd be cancelling it immediately and demanding a refund. Thankfully, I'm smart enough not to waste THAT much money on this place.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons
      0 Not allowed!

A message from iNET...

The advertising bar you see for Site5 has definitely caused quite a stir. I am here right now to let you all know a couple of things about it:

1) The bar is there only for Thursday. This is a one day only advertising promotion by Site5. Their goal was to try something different to promote their launch and they contacted us within the last week to see what could be done. Several ideas were thrown around and ultimately, we agreed to try this idea for one day and one day only. It expires at midnight tonight and won't be there after that.

2) Perhaps based on the limted time we had to review options but nonetheless, iNET made an error in judgement in allowing this bar to be placed there. I am here to admit that error, and let you know once again, the bar is there until midnight after which it is gone and won't return. We will not sell that position again.

3) Aside from community members being upset, we realize this has possibly negatively impacted other advertisers on WHT. We will be comping this day of advertisers to all advertisers that had ads running in the top banner zone, so they can consider this Free Thursday since we frankly errored in judgement allowing advertising above thers. Further, to them, we appologize for our mistake.

We do, however, applaud Site5 for their wanting to do something outside the box. No doubt, they are in the midst of the most successful one day campaign in iNET's history. They wanted to try something different and it definitely created a buzz across iNET's network. Good for them! Gave us a black eye, but kudos to them.

Moving forward, I would like to state at this time that particularly with respect to WebHostingTalk.com, iNET has been a dinosaur when it comes to modifying our advertising policies as technology changes. Currently, iNET offers the same 468x60 banner options that were first prevalent when new media became the thing. We have stayed away from allowing new types of advertising from hitting WHT, largely because of the negative reaction from many visitors anytme there is a change.

On May 2nd, we will be remodeling the top portion of WebHostingTalk.com. It will merely reflect a change in location and size options for the top banner zone. This move is being implemented to help our advertisers... the people who allow you to participate in this free community for web hosting discussions. While at first the change may seem drastic to the community members here, you should note that we are merely remodeling the top of the skin to more resemble what WHT was during 2003. The banner location will be moved to right below the header bar of the site, and will allow the "old school" advertisements where there is an image and text beside it. In case you're wondering what I'm talking about, please feel free to check out http://web.archive.org/web/200207201...stingtalk.com/ as the top banner zone will be in similar location. Of course, we aren't requiring advertisers to use the old school advertising style from WHT, just presenting them with that option. They can always continue to run a 468x60 banner or a 728x90 banner instead in the top zone. The advertising area at the top will shrink/grow based on which type of ad is being displayed.

Additionally, we will begin, on May 2, allowing some rich media advertisements on WHT (i.e. flash) but the banner will have to be approved by our staff and will have to be deemed not to be "too flashy" or annoying, in our sole discretion.

This was definitely not the manner in which iNET intended to announce the coming modification, but given the current discussion, it only seems right to forewarn you about the pending modifications.

Again, the modifications to the skin are designed to enhance WHT from an advertisers perspective. I cannot reitterate how important that is, as the advertisers are the ones who ultimately pay for this community.

Aside from the top of the skin modifications, iNET is currently investigating the suggestions of your moderation staff to add an option for Premium Members to toggle advertising on/off. Though this may not be implemented by May 2, it is being considered for all of you anti-advertisers out there. We have details to work out on this plan and have to do some more due dilligence before that decision is ultimately passed.

Again, iNET recognizes that we were in error in allowing the extended toolbar advertisement.
    Best Regards,
    Ryan Elledge
    Chief Operating Officer, Codero Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

It can do for one day!
    Matt, you can turn your ads back on, they are free today
    Dave
      0 Not allowed!

I'm not trying to be mean or anything...

But didn't iNet once say that all ads must be approved before they go in rotation?

Taking this as an example:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=399435

Will this happen with the "new" types? Such as flash? Maybe starting out with approval, but then go to automation? :roll:
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by immortal9
    I'm not trying to be mean or anything...

But didn't iNet once say that all ads must be approved before they go in rotation?

Taking this as an example:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=399435

Will this happen with the "new" types? Such as flash? Maybe starting out with approval, but then go to automation? :roll:
    Ads are not automated... all ads do get viewed by our creative staff before being put into the system. While the upload is automated, it merely stores it on our servers and sends our creative staff the url to view and place in the ad management console.
    Best Regards,
    Ryan Elledge
    Chief Operating Officer, Codero Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Additionally, we will begin, on May 2, allowing some rich media advertisements on WHT (i.e. flash) but the banner will have to be approved by our staff and will have to be deemed not to be "too flashy" or annoying, in our sole discretion.
    Dave
      0 Not allowed!

Right click:

Block images from server.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast