Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Originally posted by the_pm
    I actually posted this earlier in the thread, but I imagine it got lost in the mix. No matter

www.proxomitron.info - let's you set up customer UA Strings too. I've been known to surf the Web as a toaster oven from time to time I use it to get past browser-sniffing scripts.
    Thanks for the link... seems like a good piece of software.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, it's most annoying - it may seem like just moving the wheel - but it grabs your eyes attention straight away.

Anyway, seems most of us have either blocked it from our system in hosts file or used some app to remove it.
      0 Not allowed!

I like the ad.... I think it is doing what they wanted *shrugs*. Yes it sucks for the hosts who bought ad space for top, and I think inet should give money back or more impressions for them putting another ad on top of the top ad. I just hope it is not going to be there much longer (I suspect only a day?)
      0 Not allowed!

Personally, the only reason I block is for faster loading. I only ever installed a localhost proxy for the UA String spoofing ability, nothing more. I noticed a few sites into using it that I wasn't seeing any ads...and I never turned the ads back on after that. The ads never really bothered me; surfing the Web is just soooooo much faster now!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design
      0 Not allowed!

That's a nifty little proggy.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Blair
    Ugh! I can't beleive that ad was accepted -- even for $25/1k. It detracts from the entire site IMO.
    $25.00 for what? Top banner ads is $15.00 for 1k and bottom ads is $7.50 for 1k.
      0 Not allowed!

I would think it cost more than just a top banner impression.

But nobody actually pays $15/1k impressions anyway.... do they?
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.
      0 Not allowed!

I think this just goes to show that iNet cares more about ad revenue than it does actually improving the forum experience.

I paid for a premium leads membership ($200) and iNet discontinued it soon afterwards. They obviously aren't bothered by the fact that some of us paid for it. We were promised a replacement that never materialized. Meanwhile, they've raised prices on pretty much every other ad on here, and yet the forum experience hasn't improved at all. The "Premium Membership" was a complete farce, for instance.

I'm hugely disappointed. I liked this site a lot better when it wasn't all about "How much money can we screw out of our members/What ridiculous prices can we charge for ads now?"
      0 Not allowed!

Erica summarises a lot of peoples feelings towards WHT these days.

The only things that have changed about this place, is the money making aspects.

Nothing for the "good of the community". Before moving to iNET's control it was also a lot more stable... bring back hosting by EV1
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    I guess I don't understand what the noise is.

One click of my mouse wheel and it's no longer there.

Is it really that obtrusive?
    True its just that the fact that iNet allows this on WHT. I thought I would let WHT ads go on my notebook, as my PC blocks them. but I am seriously re-considering that.

Has anyone contacted Matt or any other Site5 staff yet?

I personally blocked only that image, now time to re-consider it for all banner ads...
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog
      0 Not allowed!

"sick of annoying webhosts who spend more time coming up with annoying marketing than running stable servers"
    UH-Matt easily the funniest post of the day.. hehe

I think site5 definitely gets their point across with this type of banner.. smart advertising.. not really a great move on iNETs side.. but who knows. Quite a lot of people are looking at this thread, maybe they will check out the iNET website and decide to advertise.

I don't really think its that bad, but i'd be a little angry if my banner was overshadowed, when its suppose to be a "top" banner..
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by RealtorHost
    Quite a lot of people are looking at this thread, maybe they will check out the iNET website and decide to advertise.
    Why would they want to advertise? If you get your "top banner" up there, attention is drawn to the site5 banner @ the top.

I wouldn't spend money on that. Would you?
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by KI-ChrisE
    . . . but it grabs your eyes attention straight away. . .
    Score one for marketing.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by RealtorHost
    . . . i'd be a little angry if my banner was overshadowed, when its suppose to be a "top" banner..
    I certainly can't disagree with that.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by immortal9
    . . . Has anyone contacted Matt or any other Site5 staff yet? . . .
    To tell them the effectiveness of their banner?
      0 Not allowed!

I find that Site5's method was very effective. I also give them credit for getting it done. They have nothing but my respect.

As for iNet......well...

I knew it was a matter of time before iNet turned WHT into it's own personal prostitute, at the cost of asthetic, and community appeal.

I find that WHT has not only lost it's appeal, but also it's sense of voice (thanks iNet). It's no longer a place to share opinions. Oh, don't misunderstand...you can still share your opinion, just as long as iNet approves of, or agrees with your opinion.

Before long I predict that iNet will introduce intro ads, that you have to watch or skip before entering any of their properties.

They are taking communities that we all loved to visit, and making them undesirable little by little.

Not to worry though....while we watch some our favorite communities get bought out, and then pimped out, we can find satisifaction in listening to ODB's Got Your Money, in the background.

Back to Site5....
    Very nice idea and campaign...much respect.
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ANMMark
    I find that Site5's method was very effective. I also give them credit for getting it done. They have nothing but my respect.

As for iNet......well...

Back to Site5....
    Very nice idea and campaign...much respect.
    Let me get this right.

Site5 is great, because they had a "nice idea and campaign."

iNET is in the crapper, because they allowed the "nice idea and campaign" to be displayed on WebHostingTalk.

Is that what you're saying?

I guess I'm too old to understand.
      0 Not allowed!

There ad thing is grabbing attention even offsite. Someone mentioned it on my mboard before I binned part of the thread there.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.
      0 Not allowed!

I guess I'm too old to understand.
    Apparently. I mean, I'll be 29 in June, and I understand it just fine. Of course I also understood the context, which you didn't seem to understand either.

Let me get this right.

Site5 is great, because they had a "nice idea and campaign."

iNET is in the crapper, because they allowed the "nice idea and campaign" to be displayed on WebHostingTalk.

Is that what you're saying?
    Something like that yes.

Site5 had a great idea. They wanted attention....they got attention, so as far as their marketing idea, it is indeed good for them, and a great idea.

iNet on the other hand completely disregarded their top placement advertisers just to make a quick buck. Furthermore, have let this thread go on without even a comment, telling me that they don't care either.

No doubt, what will occur is that they will either never reply, and the thread will get closed, or they will reply with some open ended comment, and then close the thread.

EDIT:
    You might want to reread my post, as it covers much more than this thread's topic.
    Last edited by ANMMark; 04-28-2005 at 04:57 PM.
    avidInteractive
      0 Not allowed!

They are taking communities that we all loved to visit, and making them undesirable little by little.
    Or in the case of HostingTech and Hotscripts, making them undesirable by leaps and bounds. The content on both those sites is horrible nowdays.

iNet's inattention to the core of these places is slowly destroying them in my opinion.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.
      0 Not allowed!

. . .
    You might want to reread my post, as it covers much more than this thread's topic.
    And you expect me to respond to an off-topic commentary?

Please disregard the question.

This is about the banner that some call obtrusive. And I call a banner.

I notice it. I move on.
      0 Not allowed!

Since when can you just make up an advertisement space, and not allow fair competition to other companies?
      0 Not allowed!

You may - many of us find it to be an annoyance or more though.

I think at the very least, iNet should comment in this thread.
      0 Not allowed!

Well as I said, my post covers much more. That's not to say it doesn't cover this topic as well.
    avidInteractive
      0 Not allowed!

Why is it those who work for iNet never have an issue with things around here.

Did they really cut them off?
      0 Not allowed!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast