Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home Server questions

hi all i was thinking about using my charter cable for my own home server it is 3meg down and 30kbps up.
    I am running winXp pro.
    can someone help me to get it started on what I will need to do etc to get started?
    Thank You

First contact your ISP and find out if you can host a server on your internet connection since a lot of them don't allow this.

Ya, I ran my website for a few months on my website before they shut me down .

I'm not sure if 30kbps up is enough for a webserver, especially if it starts getting alot of traffic.

I think one mb up would be better... maybe your isp offers that as an upgrade?
    Three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population

This should squash your dreams about hosting your own server

http://support2.charter.com/support/...1-80035f79208b

FAQ: Can I host a server with this service?

Unfortunately, hosting servers is not allowed with our residential cable modem service. This includes, but is not limited to, web servers, ftp servers, and mail servers.

infact there are so many afordable hosting available.. guess setting up a server at home would be costly.. you need to manage it, monitor it 24X7.. take care of hardware problems than hacking attempts.. the list never ends..
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Since it's against your TOS to host servers... I'd suggest not doing so. They probably have port80 blocked anyway. You could host on a different port I suppose, but if your ISP finds out it could mean trouble for you.

I had a similar idea of having webserver at home.I was having pretty good connection. But when the traffic got increased the server got screwed up.haaa

Setting up Home Server is good experience but, in the long run it is not practical.
    for starters, getting the cheapest webhosting package out there is the way to go.
    Prime Outsourcing | offshore solutions | manual labor | staff leasing |
    because American & European labor are expensive

There was a thread earlier about this. ISP's generally do not allow the production of web servers to be hosted at your home ISP (as per most ISP's TOS), especially Comcast. Your better off just to buy hosting from a hosting company instead of getting shut down by your ISP.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

You would probably save money by getting a VPS if you wanted to run your own server.
    Mark Stevens
    GHXhosting.com Ltd - Shared & Reseller Hosting
    (UK/US) Dedicated Servers & VPS
    Server-Help.co.uk Experienced Linux server admin for hire

Originally posted by domainwala
    infact there are so many afordable hosting available.. guess setting up a server at home would be costly.. you need to manage it, monitor it 24X7.. take care of hardware problems than hacking attempts.. the list never ends..
    This truely doesnt matter for a user hosting a very small site. IIS is reliable enough for static content, and Windows machines can have great uptime when there is nothing really advanced on them. (I have a Windows server with over 100 days of uptime right now, although it is simple test machine for a project). Hardware firewall and a nice valid license of Windows to enable Automatic updates is enough to protect it. Hardware problems .. ahh not very often, but they still have to handle them either way, if they are planning to use the system in general.

You dont need to monitor it 24 x 7 if you dont require 24 x 7 perfect uptime. Sounds like this user currently does. Not costly, or very time consuming, just takes some time to get it setup

Brandon

My post above doesnt mean that I think violating the TOS is right, I'm just pointing out home hosting is ok for a small family website, or just someone intersted in how things work. It can be very intersting to learn how to do things by your self

Yeah, if you run a small web site that doesn't generate too much traffic they wouldn't mind cause they won't know about it.

If your server is pulling in huge traffic, they'll terminate your service. I've ran servers to test stuff out on my computers at home, no problem what so ever because there are practically 0 traffic outside of myself.

Setting up home server for educational purposes is a good idea, but I won't advice you to use it for business purposes.

That upstream us pretty useless aside of for a very small site though. TOS aside (just for argument) a couple of simultaneous users would kill your upstream, which in turn would also affect your downstream. You are better off with an overall better solution.

Does anyone know what Charter charges for basic business cable and can you get it at home?

I'm just learning now but one concern I have about using a hosting service is being able to do what I want to do the way I want to do it. Can I run my own C programs and scripts without restriction, ie, within my own space, of course? What can I NOT do that I can by having the box at home?

Not matter what traffic the server pushes they can still find it.

I used to run a server years ago when ATTBI was still around, and they found out about it when they did a port scan.
    • Max Wilson •

Also, one other thing. What kind of server are you talking about here. Traffic is also detemined by what protocol is coming in and out of your server

Beware

They can turn off your connection to the internet ...don't take a chance many cheap hosting companies out there now

Originally posted by WebDogPro
    Not matter what traffic the server pushes they can still find it.

I used to run a server years ago when ATTBI was still around, and they found out about it when they did a port scan.
    Whatd they do with you? I had @home, ATTBI, and now Comcast.
    None ever really did anything to me about hosting a small amount of servers for testing purposes. I've had a webserver sitting on port 80 for YEARS with zero problem also

Re: Beware

Originally posted by my1click
    They can turn off your connection to the internet ...don't take a chance many cheap hosting companies out there now
    I doubt they would terminate your connection. I've never really seen that happen, as it has to be pretty serious. I've even seen a person get a letter for eatting up half a terabyte of data transfer (downstream) in a month, but that was only a threat of termination

Originally posted by BrandonSCSN
    Whatd they do with you? I had @home, ATTBI, and now Comcast.
    None ever really did anything to me about hosting a small amount of servers for testing purposes. I've had a webserver sitting on port 80 for YEARS with zero problem also
    It was when it was @home i just frogot about it. They killed our connection for a few days. lol
    • Max Wilson •

I was on @home too, which became @Rogers in Toronto and had servers for serveral years on Port 80. Even installed mYsql. No word from Rogers/@Home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast