Question did anyone use theplanet's MS SQL2k workgroup?

do they install on your server? is it unlimited mb (depend on your disk)? how does it work?

Yes, the MS SQL 2000 Workgroup would be installed on your server.

According to Microsoft, there are several limitations to the Workgroup edition http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluat...ew/default.asp
    namely

1) Restricted to 2 Processors
    2) Up to 2GB of RAM
    3) Maximum Database size of 1,048,516 terabytes

In short, with the official offering from The Planet, you should be within the limits.

Originally posted by eddy2099
    Yes, the MS SQL 2000 Workgroup would be installed on your server.

According to Microsoft, there are several limitations to the Workgroup edition http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluat...ew/default.asp
    namely

1) Restricted to 2 Processors
    2) Up to 2GB of RAM
    3) Maximum Database size of 1,048,516 terabytes

In short, with the official offering from The Planet, you should be within the limits.
    so...there is a restriction on workgroup

Yes, there is. The full Fledge MS SQL 2000 Enterprise would allow support up to 32 Processors and 64GB of RAM.

But like I said, for what The Planet is offering, the restriction is a non-issue.

They will not allow more than 2 CPUs installed anyways and the database size is way beyond what TP offers.

The only concern would be the RAM. Unless you have upgraded your RAM to 4gb, for most intended purposes it falls within the 2gb limit.

Nothing to quite worry about there.

I would guess that if you have the fully enhanced machine, you should not have any issue affording the full fledge license at $200 per CPU.
    Last edited by eddy2099; 04-28-2005 at 01:11 AM.

Originally posted by eddy2099
    Yes, there is. The full Fledge MS SQL 2000 Enterprise would allow support up to 32 Processors and 64GB of RAM.

But like I said, for what The Planet is offering, the restriction is a non-issue.

They will not allow more than 2 CPUs installed anyways and the database size is way beyond what TP offers.

The only concern would be the RAM. Unless you have upgraded your RAM to 4gb, for most intended purposes it falls within the 2gb limit.

Nothing to quite worry about there.

I would guess that if you have the fully enhanced machine, you should not have any issue affording the full fledge license at $200 per CPU.
    from the link you gave, it seem like SQL2000 cost way more than $200 per cpu.

do you need CAL for each customers/domains? from the link, it seem like you need CAL to access SQL workgroup.

I believe the ones offered at The Planet is based on number of CPUs rather than based on CALs.

Out of curiousity, does that CPU limit pertain to physical CPUs or both physical and virtual CPUs. For example, will a Dual Xeon with Hyperthreading work and utilize the two physical processors along with the two virtual ones??

That would be physical CPU.