Is it legal or not?

Please help!

If I take the text from one hosting compnay website and do some modification as I need. After modificaiton the text will look 80% text of the ogirnal I copied.

What do you think is it legal or not?

No, no matter how much you change it, it's not legal, it's still copyright infringement, besides, if you're changing 80% then why not write it from scratch to start with?
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Well, plagarism is plagarism. If you did something like this with a book, paper, or other type of published media you could end up in trouble. Some people will go to great lengths to protect their copyrights & trademarks, so my advice is: don't do it.

Plus, if you've already came up with 80% worth of original content why not put more effort into it and be 100%? It will be much more rewarding to you.

Not legal at all, as already stated. If you intend to "make your mark" online, best to actual make an original mark and not a copied one!

I suppose you could look it and write your own "similar" version, besides remember other people may know that site too and if you copy it well.
    Better to be orignal!

Is it so difficult for you to do it by yourself??

Come on! Try to do it and you`ll feel better with your OWN website.

Well, it is not dificult. but as there is profesional text and I can not write that much profesional.

I am not talking baout their contact us, about us, etc...

there are many things which are general. as they are using 90% system is match us. such as CP, mail server, plan etc...

there are many things which are general such as how to configure email in out look, how to access mail, and some discription of the packages which is also general. like describing the .net, aspmail etc...

I see that is look profesional and their system is almost 90% match ours. so why not go with this. just take the text NOT the layout and graphices etc..

Well if you it is iligale I will not go for this.

Thanks

Originally posted by KDAWebServices
    No, no matter how much you change it, it's not legal, it's still copyright infringement,
    Not true. At some point it can become different enough from the original work that the original work's copyright will no longer apply.

People use the work of others as a starting point all the time. However, it's not what you start with that's important, it's what you end up with.

-B

Originally posted by TMX
    Not true. At some point it can become different enough from the original work that the original work's copyright will no longer apply.

-B
    Hardly ethical.

That's unethical and probably illegal. Do you actually feel that its okay to leech off someone's hard work and not give them credit or payment for it?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

AsKar, it might be helpful if you take notes from the site you like. Write it as points 4 or 5 words each. Then write your own sentences around those points. You may have to rewrite it several times as you gain more experience in the writing.

Thanks Wazeh,
    Its good to help me. I wil ask them if they agree and do not have any problem it then I will go.

Other wise should take somone service to write the content for me.

I am new to start the busines and really do not know about that, thats why asked you guys about this before taking step.

Thanks all of you to help me to clear the points.

Thanks again.
    Raza

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    Do you actually feel that its okay to leech off someone's hard work and not give them credit or payment for it?
    Of course not, but by the same token, do you believe that anyone who's ever written a three-chord rock song owes Chuck Berry a royalty check?

I'm not talking about painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa and trying to pass it off as an original work, but simply refuting the blanket statement made by kdawebservices that it will be illegal no matter how much you change it. That's just not how it works.

In terms of web design/content, the starting point may be a simple color scheme, a table structure, block of text, etc... What the person does with it from there determines whether the end result is, in the eyes of the copyright office, a complete rip, a derivative work, or can be considered a new original work influenced by whatever it was that caught his attention in the first place.

-B

Originally posted by TMX
    Of course not, but by the same token, do you believe that anyone who's ever written a three-chord rock song owes Chuck Berry a royalty check?

Do you believe that anyone copying 80% of a Chuck Berry song, which was the percentage of the original text he said he was going to use, wouldn't be stealing his work?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

AsKar you can try looking in a local college and see a journalism or some similar major student. They can always use a few bucks for some more pizza

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    Do you believe that anyone copying 80% of a Chuck Berry song, which was the percentage of the original text he said he was going to use, wouldn't be stealing his work?
    You know, there actually is a formula for that Yes, of course using 80% of someone else's copyrighted work without permission would be stealing. That's a given, it just wasn't the part of this thread that I was addressing.

-B

Depends on what you're copying, I wouldn't frown too hard on someone copying a TOS or AUP I mean they're all mostly the same it's not really a "unique" thing but beyond that I wouldn't do much copying.

"About Us" pages, etc those are or should be kinda unique to the host and you should write your own from scratch.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Originally posted by TMX

People use the work of others as a starting point all the time. However, it's not what you start with that's important, it's what you end up with.

-B
    Go ask a lawyer about this, he'll tell you it is one of most perpetraded copyright myths, if you take even 1% of someones work, you are still breaching their copyright and it is copyright theft.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

yeah, create your own work. I See WAY too many companies with templates that I have seen on other company sites previously, and still do to this day. Quite Sad. If everyone would either create their own site, or hire a site designer, this wouldnt be a problem. My Solution, is QUIT BEING CHEAP. I would rather not have the site, then go through Legal Actions from the Opposite Party. Wouldnt make much since! Think.