is this a scam, if so how? how many else got it?

my brother got an e-mail to his yahoo account. it went to his inbox and not his spam one.....

it had a subject as " Congradulations (sorry i cant spell thats my fault) you have won the internation lottery"

it went on to say.....you have won money bla bla bla please reply to this e-mail using the reference number ***********.

would u say its a scam?

didnt come up with any virus attached or anything and didnt ask for any personal details so I thought i would reply to it.

just wondered if anyone else was lucky/unlucky to get this? as the e-mail said it was picking people at random or summit.

After he replies, I wonder how much he'll have to pay in administrative fees before his winnings are sent to him?

I wonder how many times he'll pay those fees before he realizes no one's sending him any money...

Yeah, it's a scam
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

well yeah i thought that too. but i first thought well there not asking for any money or any personal info so why not reply

if they ask for a bank account number thats when ill say actually send me a cheque lmao.

Well when he replies - they have verified his email address - something that a lot of spammers hope you will do. So now they know they have a real email address.

And they know they have an email address of someone who might be susceptible to lotteries, contests, etc.

true....

well we shall see. at the end of the day if it is fake then ill just ignore it. but how come yahoo didnt pick it up as spam?

guess some thins it doesnt reconise.

I got one of those e-mails some time ago.

After I replied with all of my informatins and my bank account info and a $10,000 good faith check, I received a $3 million deposit in my bank account.

So, go ahead people, answer those unsolicited e-mails and you too can become rich like me.

was u being sarky in ur comment then?

$10,000 dont think ill be sending them that much lol.

It is a risk to pay that money to an "unknown" party, you don't know them.

Originally posted by wdi-home
    It is a risk to pay that money to an "unknown" party, you don't know them.
    im not that stupid lol.

Replying to that email is stupid. You will get loads of spam now that they know you read it. And that you fall for stupid things like that.

I think at the minimum it's an attempt to create a premium confirmed spam list.
    I pulled the plug on the Yahoo account the spammers had, and they don't have my current Yahoo address. So I don't remember for certain whether the headers in a message reply would show annotations for Yahoo filtered bulk. If they do, then it could also be useful to the spammer as a test of his spam-filter-circumvention.

Could reply without a junk account... bounce emails then. (assuming they use a proper email address... unlikely).

Search on google some phrases from the email, to see if it shows up alot.

It's a scam most definitly, either they want your address (to confirm and add it to a large mailing list) or they want some sort of money upfront as a transaction fee.

if they ask for money up front just tell them to take it out of your winnings
    http://www.goodridgeelec.com
    Electrical Contractors, West Midlands, UK

Originally posted by stevey
    if they ask for money up front just tell them to take it out of your winnings
    good thinking stevey hehe

and yes i know ive done somithing stupid and yes i know it will be added to a mailing list. but personally i dont care as yahoo auotmatically blocks spam and its not my yahoo account it was my brothers hehe :p

at the end of the day if the spam gets that bad ill just tell him to create another account.

Hi,

my brother has got an e-mail back regarding this e-mail about money that they have so called "won".

they e-mailed back asking what hes name and address was. should this be given out?

its not as if they have asked for bank details or anything. what do you think?

Regards.

Ask them why they need it.

yeah i will get him to e-mail them again later and ask that.

ill tell him to send them an e-mail giving there name and then ill tell him to ask why they need it

hopefully its to send the cheque

Actually - see if you can get their address and telephone number and ask if you can pay them a visit to claim the money.

pay them a visit? the place is 1000 odd miles away lol.

but yes ill do that too hehe

dont give out real names or address as they may use it for fraud, make it up
    http://www.goodridgeelec.com
    Electrical Contractors, West Midlands, UK

lol - well if you really have got that amount of money - it shouldn't be a problem.

well...

ive just searched "International lottery" on google and found many of scam e-mails so i dont think im gunna even do anything. im just gunna wait and see what happens.

dear sir you have won a multi million dollar sweepstake please pm me your bank details so that i can confirm your identity and i will forward you an address for posting a cheque for the $2,000 administration fee. we will then deposit your winnings into your account once you have purchased a one off spectacular collection of financial work books.

<erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Originally posted by ALGORYTHM
    dear sir you have won a multi million dollar sweepstake please pm me your bank details so that i can confirm your identity and i will forward you an address for posting a cheque for the $2,000 administration fee. we will then deposit your winnings into your account once you have purchased a one off spectacular collection of financial work books.

two words....

and one of them is off.

Having already confirmed the email address for them, the fake name is probably a good idea. It should be interesting to see how many "personal" messages arrive with that name.

Scam, volknet.com gets like 10 of those in a month. So far we should have Many millions
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

www.419eater.com

Good site for stuff like that.

Lead them on...maybe you can get them to send YOU money.

I Have SBC as well and recieved this about a month and a half back.

Its a scam.....I got one also......They said they WOULD NOT SEND ME A WINNING CHECK,THEY WANTED MY BANK ACCOUNT INFO.......

I SAID "IS THIS A SCAM?? WHY NOT JUST SEND ME MY CHECK??" The next email i got from them was "GIVE US YOUR ADDRESS,WE WILL MAIL YOU THE WINNING CHECK" ..

What a bunch of morons!!!!!!!!

THE SAD PART IS,ALOT OF PPL FALL FOR THAT!!!!!
    Last edited by The Dude; 04-29-2005 at 07:44 AM.

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Lol. Indeed! Your next question should've been - can I not just collect it?