Building a 1u Dual Opteron Server (advice wanted)

I am planning on building a 1u dual opteron server using the following:

2x Opteron 246
    2x Dynatron A51
    1x Tyan S2881
    1x Chenbro RM11704
    1-2GB ECC Registered Ram (Infineon/Crucial/Mushkin)
    2-3# SATA 40-80GB Hard drives
    400w Emacs (or do I need 500?)

I want to insure that I have optimal cooling in this case. It comes with 5 fan slots (four in the middle / 1 in the rear). I noticed apaq suggested Sanyo Ace 40 (16CFM) fans in an earlier thread, but I have yet to find anyplace that sells them. I was thinking of buying some delta fans (40x28mm FFB0412VHN - 15.79CFM), will they work?

Also, If I only end up with 2 sticks of ram, do I place them in the master CPU'0' slots or 1 for each CPU?

Thanks ~ Yaza
      0 Not allowed!

We've just built some more 1U Opterons with San Ace 40s in them, they do a terrific job, if the case is right. Personally I'd not go with the case choice, I prefer something with a pair of exhaust fans and the one on the Chenbro is blocked in efficiency by the PSU right in front of it.

I'll try and grab some pics later of the ones we've just built.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.
      0 Not allowed!

3. Re: Building a 1u Dual Opteron Server (advice wanted)

Originally posted by Yaza
    I am planning on building a 1u dual opteron server using the following:
    2x Opteron 246
    2x Dynatron A51
    1x Tyan S2881
    1x Chenbro RM11704
    1-2GB ECC Registered Ram (Infineon/Crucial/Mushkin)
    2-3# SATA 40-80GB Hard drives
    400w Emacs (or do I need 500?)
    the component selections are all good, but I'm not sure it's going to be cheaper than Tyan Transport GX28 barebone which comes with 2x copper heatsinks, custom-fit air shroud, 2-slots 1U riser card and heavy duty rail kit. also, the 5x 40mm fan in GX28 are capable of 12K rpm. I think they are rated higher than SanAce 40, but very, very noisy, though! GX28 comes nicely pre-assembled, all cables are nicely routed, you just add CPUs, RAM and HDDs, a piece of cake for anyone.

you must populate DIMM slots for CPU0 before server board can use any modules in the slots for CPU1. install pair of ECC reg DDR400 for dual-channel mode.

BTW, this can be easily transformed into 4-way Opterons by using dual-core Opterons after BIOS update becomes available!
    Last edited by [email protected]; 04-27-2005 at 11:52 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

SanAce 40s are 9.3k - 10.6k rpm and 13.3k - 15.8k rpm counter rotating fans and 20.8-24.7 CFM. Speeds and CFM depends on the exact model used. Can't believe they claim them to be quiete though in the spec, then tell you there are 54-57.5dBA. I can certainly attest to them being very very loud.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.
      0 Not allowed!

5. the dual CPU sockets on S2881 are located at the center of server board width. however, the 4x 40mm fans in RM11704 are positined off-center toward power supply. it means the heatsink for CPU0 socket on S2881 won't be cooled properly.

RM11704 are really intended for dual xeon EATX server board and tyan S2882 on which dual CPU sockets are off-center too.
      0 Not allowed!