Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

bfd and APF - limit number of "failed logins"

ok see "people" trying to BF into my servers with +100 attempts, was wondering if it ain't possible to set APF & BFD to block the ips at lets say 10 incorrect attemps?»

Cheers

Anybody...?

In the rules folder in your main BFD directory and you will see a list of service such as pop3, sshd, apache etc. Open that file and change the TRIG="#" setting to the number you want it to set for.

Originally posted by OKIHost
    In the rules folder in your main BFD directory and you will see a list of service such as pop3, sshd, apache etc. Open that file and change the TRIG="#" setting to the number you want it to set for.
    Current TRIG was already set to 3 :/

LP="/var/log/secure"
    TLOG_TF="sshd"
    TRIG="3"
    TMP="/usr/local/bfd/tmp"

## SSH
    ARG_VAL1=`$TLOGP $LP $TLOG_TF.1 | grep sshd | grep -viw "error: Bind" | sed 's/::ffff://' | $
    ARG_VAL2=`$TLOGP $LP $TLOG_TF.2 | grep sshd | grep -viw "error: Bind" | sed 's/::ffff://' | $
    ARG_VAL3=`$TLOGP $LP $TLOG_TF.3 | grep sshd | grep -viw "error: Bind" | sed 's/::ffff://' | $
    ARG_VAL4=`$TLOGP $LP $TLOG_TF.4 | grep sshd | grep -viw "error: Bind" | sed 's/::ffff://' | $
    ARG_VAL=`cat $TMP/.sshd`

Help on this is very appreciatted

Just in:
    The following are event logs for 745 login failures from 213.248.55.24

Do you have BFD setup to add the IP address to the APF deny hosts file?

Originally posted by Josh Stein
    Do you have BFD setup to add the IP address to the APF deny hosts file?
    Yes i have

This is really becoming a issue....

Originally posted by Rui
    Yes i have

This is really becoming a issue....
    Try using a third-party admin since you are unable to fix the problem yourself.

Somehow I think this was the problem:

Code:
    # [Dev. Mode]
    # !!! Do not leave set to (1) !!!
    # When set to enabled; 5 minute cronjob is set to flush the firewall; set
    # this mode off (0) when firewall determined to be operating as desired.
    ##
    lets hope so

Rui,

edit the file: /etc/cron.d/bfd, and set the line:

*/10 * * * * root /usr/local/sbin/bfd -q

to:

*/5 * * * * root /usr/local/sbin/bfd -q

or even:

*/3 * * * * root /usr/local/sbin/bfd -q.

By default, it only checks once every 10 minutes. This may leave an attacker up to 10 minutes to run their brute force attack. Setting this to 5 or less minutes increases the amount of work the machine has to do (parsing logs etc.) but decreases the attack window.

Sadly, there is no way to set a harder limit at this time.
    TWSites.com - Business Web Hosting Solutions & Server Management Since 2003

That answers it for me too - I found that a brute force cracker can get over 200 attempts on my server in under 5 minutes before they are banned.

DoCk - lets hope that makes it better, cheers

Make sure that you have only "friendly IP`s" in ignore.hosts

I don't think the cron is the issue. Yes it helps to prevent to attacker by limiting time, but it doesn't do a single thing for the IP until the time is up. The reason why the attacks can go for 200+ attempts is that BFD doesn't ban the ip when it needs to. If you notice the logs, it will show the same IP for hundreds of attacks, but from different ports. To BFD this makes it look like a different IP.

I believe this to be the only downfall of BFD. This should be changed for future versions. As for now, rely on the 3 minute cron.
    Check out my new Chrome Extension - Server Admin Tool
    frustratedtech.com - Helpful Server Tech Advice

The reason why they are from different ports is because of the way TCP/IP works. In order to have multiple simultaneous connections, the client must use multiple ports. This doesn't have much to do with the way BFD works... BFD is a log parsing script. In order to have a true solution, we would need something built into ssh itself.

Block all access for the users: root, guest, test, admin, webmaster
    This will knock nearly 70% of all access attempts.

DoCK, BFD completely ignores the fact that it IS the same IP. After a certain amount of unauthorised accesses, BFD is supposed to ban the IP. This only works if you access from the same port say 3 times. Due to the fact that servers have thousands of ports, it makes no sense on why BFD would be coded the way it is.

Vertica1Host - how about block all users except root (or the one that will give me access to root?)

Can it be easily done?

Be careful doing all of this editing, you can easily mess up your server and you won't be able to log into it anymore.

This can be accomplished best in your server's control panel if you have one, otherwise editing /etc/passwd will do the trick. Change something like this:

user:x:32305:32311::/home/user:/bin/bash

to this:
    user:x:32305:32311::/home/user:/bin/false

Leave one user with access, just for you.

Edit /etc/group and where it says wheel, add an entry containing the username. Save and test this right away, make sure you can login using your username and su to root. You can also more safely do this operation with a control panel if you have it.

After this, edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and uncomment the "Protocol" line to read "Protocol 2". Uncomment and change the "PermitRootLogin" line to read "PermitRootLogin no".

Restart sshd with service sshd restart, then test it.

Well I have cpanel on all my servers so i guess i should do this via cpanel then?

Sure, everything but editing sshd configs can be done using the control panel.

See: "Manage Wheel Group Users"

and "Manage Shell Access"

This is more nonsence than anything -- BFD cares less what client port your on and only parses logs for user and IP nothing else -- all other log elements are irrelivent.

With that said BFD is cron based and will ban any events that occure in the period between it last run and the next run -- BFD tracks log file changes and only reviews log entries appended since bfd last run -- so if you run BFD too often you wont see enough hits in the log to reach a BFD trigger but if you run it too far apart then youl get hundreds of brute force hits before BFD does anything -- it a matter of balence and is just the way BFD was designed.

Typical usage is to run bfd somewhere between 3 and 5 minutes.
    Ryan MacDonald
    Lead Administrator | TotalChoice Hosting
    Choice Does Matter! | Serving over 26,000 clients

Were is located the list of banned ips and logs?

I thougth it was here /usr/local/bfd/tmp

/etc/apf/deny_hosts.rules, in addition to whatever else you might have banned using apf -d.

That a tmp path for bfd to store tracking information on each log file -- it tracks the size of each log.

BFD log is located at /var/log/bfd_log and it places bans in /etc/apf/deny_hosts.rules.
    Ryan MacDonald

I see, BFD is not an on-the-fly type of software and relies on the timing of the cron to process all bans.

I appoligise. I was unaware that this was not a realtime banning program. I've looked through the documentation and I didn't see it stated anywhere that it was not.

This is great software and I'll continue to use it and encourage others to as well.

In time BFD will eventually become a real time authentication tracking and auditing software but while it is being developed and maturing it will remain cron based.
    Ryan MacDonald

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast