Unlimited email addresses?

Is there really such a thing? I often see other hosting providers advertising this. What's the catch?

Teresa

You are always limited to system resources like disk space and bandwidth. No matter how many accounts you have it will be limited by your disk quota and transfer amount.
    ACcomunica

Does the sun produce unlimited engery? No one day it will blow up a bit like a mail server that offers unlimited e-mail addresses.

Well I don't know who Sposs and ACcomunica are trying to fool, but there is no catch. You can offer unlimited email adresses, ftp accounts, and sql databases. You however can not offer unlimited bandwidth or web space. Don't mix the two up.

Well, it is just a matter of advertising. It just makes one deal sounds sweeter than the other. Of course, as a customer, you have to evaluate what you really need and then work from there.

arxor unlimited means to have no ending , i can assure you that if a customer tried to add an infinite number of e-mail addresses they would not be able to as its mathematically impossible to have unlimited anything.Therefore the hosts who advertise this are liars.

Originally posted by arxor
    Well I don't know who Sposs and ACcomunica are trying to fool, but there is no catch. You can offer unlimited email adresses, ftp accounts, and sql databases. You however can not offer unlimited bandwidth or web space. Don't mix the two up.
    Whats the Highest number of characters you can put in an email address? lets say 500 (I dont know the real figure) well using everypossible combination on the keyboard you would eventually run out of unused email addresses as you will have already created every possibility.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

there is no catch... your space and b/w usage are limited so it doesnt matter how many email addresses you create, your total space/bw usage is limited..

Similarly for sql/sub-domains etc... though high sql usage can eat too many system resources but then even 1 high queried db is enough for tht
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

So therefore the amount of e-mail addresses you can add is limited , right?

I talked to a guy on the xpanel forums that had over 20,000 email addresses and 20,000 databases on his free hosting server and it ran just fine. If you offer unlimited databases they are limited by how much space your plan has.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!

Originally posted by Sposs
    So therefore the amount of e-mail addresses you can add is limited , right?
    Very much so! you only live for a finite (read that limited) amount of time.

I think the orginal posters answer has been firmly answered.

I think that these kind of "unlimited" packages really means "as much as your disk space allow to create".

There is no intention to lie the client, but "unlimited emails" is easier to undestand than "A LOT of mail accounts, but maybe you can`t create 999999999 because the disk has a limit".

Originally posted by 24//7
    I think that these kind of "unlimited" packages really means "as much as your disk space allow to create".

There is no intention to lie the client, but "unlimited emails" is easier to undestand than "A LOT of mail accounts, but maybe you can`t create 999999999 because the disk has a limit".
    Exactly.

The definition of "unlimited" when referring to e-mail addresses is usually as many as you want, the host is not lying, they are just referring that you may have as many as you need. To claim that you need infinite e-mail addresses for the host in question to honour their word is proposterous.

Cut short; It implies there are no hard limits.
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

arxor unlimited means to have no ending , i can assure you that if a customer tried to add an infinite number of e-mail addresses they would not be able to as its mathematically impossible to have unlimited anything.Therefore the hosts who advertise this are liars.
    Technically no, it's unlimited as long as the user does not go beyond his space/bandwidth allowance. Back when I did individual hosting I would set a maximum number of POP3 account just as an incentive to upgrade to a bigger package.

With Reseller hosting it's different, I can't really set a limit on how many POP3's a resellers customer can create (technically Cpanel won't support it unless I'm wrong in which case feel free to let me know).
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

Most hosts refer to unlimited emails.. as the software they are using in a "perfect" world could create an unlimited amount. In advertising terms what looks better:

2,343,454 Email Accounts
    Unlimited Email Accounts

... i'd choose the 2nd one..
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

I think "unlimited email addresses" in this case means that the number
    of email addresses is not limited by the hosting company in any way
    but only by the limitations of your hosting package (space, bandwidth).

"Unlimited" with the meaning of "not limited by the host"

Yangxi

So if we are liars then what are you saying about your own company?

From your site:

You can create as many email accounts as you like and set up up auto-responders, forwarding, aliasing, and any other mail services you require using Sendmail.
    As many as I like? So your saying the same as unlimited then, just using different wording. Why don't you specify a physical limit then when you obviously feel so strong about it?

Originally posted by Wullie
    So if we are liars then what are you saying about your own company?

From your site:

As many as I like? So your saying the same as unlimited then, just using different wording. Why don't you specify a physical limit then when you obviously feel so strong about it?

Nice research

I have no problem with marketing terms. I swear some people just jump out of their skin any time web hosting companies use terms to describe things as if real people need to have it explained that there is a practical limit to the number of e-mail addresses people can create in their lifetime. Hey that's dishonest! Give me a break.

Some companies specify a number like 5000 e-mail addresses but what shared account would ever have the time to create 5000 e-mails? Is there really a company that is so large that needs to set up thousands of e-mails for it's company using shared web hosting?

So then a web hosting company creates a shared web hosting plan and says "You can create unlimited e-mail accounts". Of course anybody that will be setting up and managing thousands of e-mails through a web hosting control panel is a dang fool and would likely run across the bandwidth and storage limits of the account well before that but here we have people biting their fingers and fretting saying "Oh my gosh, those evil companies promising something they won't deliver. How dare they!"

It's just so silly a thing to fret about unless you can show me large companies getting stung by this and saying: "Hey, I thought we were going to be able to give e-mail to all our 200,000 employees using the control panel of our $7.95/month shared web hosting account!"
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Originally posted by DevilDog
    "Hey, I thought we were going to be able to give e-mail to all our 200,000 employees
    using the control panel of our $7.95/month shared web hosting account!"
    ROFL

That's a really good one

So when you set emails/ftp/subdomains/databases to "0" meaning no limit just what should you call it? I mean if you allocate someone 200 megs space and they wanna make 200 REALLY SMALL mailboxes then hell who cares ya know? But as sure as you set the limit to 200 some jackhole is gonna come along and say "but I need to create 201 is that ok?"

Unlimited things like this are just saying "we don't set a limit make as many as you feel will comfortably fit in your space allotment".

Unlimited disk space and bandwidth however are not cool.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

its marketing hype. technically on linux/unix boxes you can create unlimited users & email.
    Prime Outsourcing | offshore solutions | manual labor | staff leasing |
    because American & European labor are expensive