RaQ4i FTP and mail problems

I have recently acquired a RaQ4i and have come across some problems. I am a complete novice when it comes to root administration of the RaQ, having only used them to upload web pages to.

When i FTP into my server, each action (such as browsing between folders) takes exactly 1 minute and 15 seconds to complete. Also, when trying to send mail, the server times out after 60 secs. Outlook connects to the server ok, so i'm fairly sure all mx records etc. are set up correctly, but times out. If i continue to press "wait" 2 or 3 times it gets as far as sending message 1 of 1, but does not actually send any data according to the progress bar.

As i said, i'm no expert, but could it be that these are symptoms of the same problem?

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Could it be because of the connection to the RaQ? What is the speed of connection of this RaQ to your PC?

Also it maybe because of the CPU usage. What does a "top" command generate? Is there a program that is eating up a lot of processing power?
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

The connection is only a 1/2 meg broadband, but not sure that this is the problem as it has worked fine before now. perhaps restrictions are in place at certain times, but i have not established a pattern if this is the case.

I dont know what a top command is, much less how to tell what it generates. I have checked the stats and cpu usage returns this:

"Over the past fifteen minutes, the CPU has been lightly loaded.

15 minute CPU load average is 0.00
    The processor is currently 29 degrees Celsius.
    The system has been running for 3 days, 8 hours, and 4 minutes."

Sometimes I had experiences that when there are a lot of files in the folder the request would timeout. Maybe thats the problem?
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

No, problem still exists with no files at all.

It seems to hang when it reaches the command "LIST -al"

It also takes an age to log in initially

OK here is what I would like you to test out.

There are 2 NIC ports right?
    I assume that one of it is attached to the Public IP and the other one is free.

Use the 2nd one and attached to a public IP, you can do this by using another router that is not connected to the internet and set a private IP to it. Since it does not need to do any lookups it should resolve faster.
    If thats the case then it should be because of the interent connection or some DNS error.

If not and it is still slow, it maybe because of the software you are using or the RaQ itself.
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Cannot try this as yet, as i do not have access to the RaQ today. Will try asap

One problem i have had is that websites cannot be viewed from within the internal network, but display fine when viewed from any external network. I am assuming this is some sort of DNS error, but cannot find a way on my router to bounce internal requests to the server. Could this be having an effect on the FTP?

Because internally the router does not know or your PC does not know that the addresses resolve to that particular IP because no DNS server is running.

Also, if your set a wrong gateway, it could happen as well.
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster