Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by DD-SNC
    Peoples ignorance never seizes to amaze me? What part of what I explained do you not understand? I submitted my cancellation request well in advanced before my bill was due. ThePlanet responded, trying to salvage me as a client, which I refused, not once, but twice and then still got billed for services I did not use.

I am positive the cancellation was noted and received by their billing/accounting department because they responded!
    I do not know if you are referencing my post, but you did say almost a week in your original post. Almost a week didn't sound sufficient as it is required that you submit your request at least one week in advance (7 days).

Sorry, posted to the wrong thread..
    James Lumby

On the cancellation form, it should show when the cancellation period it is for. If you are within the correct period, you should do fine.

I am sure they will want to salvage your business but just politely tell them that you want to cancel and no ifs or buts about it. As they have taken your money, just ask them for a refund assuming you are within the right cancellation period.

when I cancelled my last server with them, I did pay a month extra because I didn't managed to submit the request 7 days before the billing. Whether they acknowledge it is besides the point. If you didn't do it in time, it's not in time, and you would be billed.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

These days you can't through a full page of topics without tripping over half a dozen people whining about how badly so-and-so host sucks/ruined their life/kicked their dog/etc....
    I always find these posts hilarious.. "BLAH runied my life!!!"... all I have to say... if TP/EV1/Gnax/LT/FS etc.. messes up one of your servers and it "ruins" your life.. wow... that is pretty sad..

I guess the moral of the story to this thread is.. give yourself a good amount of time to cancel your server. When they say 7 days.. it means 7 days.. not 6 days and 12 hours, or 6 days and 20 hours... 7 days prior notice.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

Originally posted by RealtorHost
    I always find these posts hilarious.. "BLAH runied my life!!!"... all I have to say... if TP/EV1/Gnax/LT/FS etc.. messes up one of your servers and it "ruins" your life.. wow... that is pretty sad..

I guess the moral of the story to this thread is.. give yourself a good amount of time to cancel your server. When they say 7 days.. it means 7 days.. not 6 days and 12 hours, or 6 days and 20 hours... 7 days prior notice.
    What about? 6 days 23 hours and 59 minutes

Originally posted by mp3LM
    What about? 6 days 23 hours and 59 minutes
    Technically that is not sufficient.

Originally posted by J-P
    I can't really say I'm surprised, you're getting what you payed for here nothing less. I hope you're not building a serious hosting business off the low cost dedicateds at EV1, ThePlanet, etc.. no physical access, no substantial guarantees (won't go beyond the monthly fee you're paying) just to name a few of the problems you'll encounter.
    I've had "serious" hosting businesses since 1998. And the amount I was paying was average for the server I was renting. I guarantee the services you offer are right in-line, if not higher, than what I was paying.

The datacenter I ended up switching to is $4/mo. cheaper and includes fantastico.
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

Originally posted by DD-SNC
    I've had "serious" hosting businesses since 1998. And the amount I was paying was average for the server I was renting. I guarantee the services you offer are right in-line, if not higher, than what I was paying.

The datacenter I ended up switching to is $4/mo. cheaper and includes fantastico.
    Which data center is this?

Thanks
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

LayeredTech.

Est. 1998.

I've read a lot of complaints regarding ThePlanet past few months. They had nothing but postive feedback before and now its all negative feedback from everywhere.

Originally posted by eddy2099
    I like Celeron and they suit what I need. I don't offer web hosting services and I host my own sites and the Celeron is more than powerful for my needs. With it, I hardly see CPU resources going close to 10%.
    You are very fortunate to have this kind of positive experience. Or a very experienced admin.

BTW, I didn't see anyone complaining about their TC server. All problems seem to be associated with SM and mostly with Celerons.

Well, I only go for the OS which I am supposedly good in and that is Windows 2003. I would think that if you put me on *nix, the server would fail more often because I am no good in that environment.

My servers don't fail so have not needed any hardware replacement since when I got my servers and the oldest being close to 18 months. The only time I actually needed real work on the server was once instead of rebooting the server, I shut it off instead. I've never seen my servers crashing or require reboot because of a hardware or software issue.

Like I said before, a server is only as good as the one managing it. I went in knowing full well what I would receive with their service level and as long as I don't expect them to do something above and beyond what is required of them based on their Managed Plan that I've signed up for, I am happy.

Originally posted by J-P
    I can't really say I'm surprised, you're getting what you payed for here nothing less. I hope you're not building a serious hosting business off the low cost dedicateds at EV1, ThePlanet, etc.. no physical access, no substantial guarantees (won't go beyond the monthly fee you're paying) just to name a few of the problems you'll encounter.
    Heh. And so if I do colo / build my own dc, I am ensured against everything?

"/me looks up to sky and sees fireball shooting towards his own new datacenter."

Your never completly protected. Your company has links to NY and Toranto. What if something happens in those locations? I would much rather be at a large datacenter, with a company that has alot of power financially then at my own, unless I had really gotten high.

But wait, your suggesting everyone builds their own DC to start in the hosting business? Oh wow, I would like to see that

Congrats on your own datacenter. I'll stick where me and my customers are happy for now

Brandon

Originally posted by WireNine
    I've read a lot of complaints regarding ThePlanet past few months. They had nothing but postive feedback before and now its all negative feedback from everywhere.
    IMHO, that is because they have some pricing that attracts "nickle and dimer hosts".... they have a nickel and a dime... can afford an inexpensive Dedicated server.... and expect the world.

It is a machine.... machines are only as smart as the information it is given. A good Admin... will work well. A "wannabe" Admin, they will have issues.... and more likely to complain. I have been arounf the block a time or two, and theplanet it darned good.

Now of course, there are exceptions... the rare hardware failure, bookkeeping etc.... But as a rule, theplanet is a great place to host. They go above and beyond usually.... in my experience.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

Originally posted by webpros
    I agree, stear clear of this organization. They are shady with respects to their cancelation policy. Go somewhere else. Trust me.
    Could you expand on that ?

I've cancelled several servers with them and each time, it was painless. All I needed to do was to submit the cancellation ticket and give them 7 days notice before the end of the month. And at the start of the following month, the billing for the server is taken out and it server gets reclaimed. Did it twice and it has always been the same.

Of course like any company, Sales will try to salvage your business and would ask you to reconsider. I just tell them the truth and that I no longer require the server and the cancellation went through.

7 days isn't too much to ask. I've been with some web host which requires 30 days notice and that can be a problem.

As long as your plan your business well and plan your exist with sufficient buffered time frame, you do fine. Cancellation can usually be pre-planned especially if you know at the offset that you need to give 7 days notice. It is not something that they hide and anyone who reads the TOS would know. And besides, like any business undertaking, you need to read the fine prints and only sign up with them if you agree to their terms.

It is stated very clearly in
    http://www.servermatrix.com/terms.html

• Service Cancellations must be submitted using the cancellation form inside Orbit (https://orbit.theplanet.com)
    at least 7 days before your next monthly billing cycle.
    If you don't read it then you only have yourself to blame.

If they mistakenly billed you for the next month rental then just alert accounting and they will prepare a refund. I had some charges for some IPs which I cancelled for months but still on my invoice. I told them about it and they willingly refunded everything from the time of cancellation.

I agree, stear clear of this organization. They are shady with respects to their cancelation policy. Go somewhere else. Trust me.

WHERE IS THIS ORIGINAL POST. Somthing fishy is going on here.

I would be willing to bet that 80-90% of the problems with most dedicated server providers have to do with the customer not following procedures or reading the TOS/AUP. I know that alot of the complaints I get that are service related have to do with customers not sending the support requst to the right e-mail address or calling a sales guy for support.

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

Trust me.
    Why should anyone trust you when you have clearly failed to read the TOS that are posted on ServerMatrix' site? You want to cancel and have not given enough time to avoid another month's bill so you just rant and rave over here trying to make them look bad when it is you who is at fault.

I'll take 1 out of 1000. You got a lot of time on your hands there cprompt

You got a lot of time on your hands there cprompt
    Guess I have

I'll take 1 out of 1000. You got a lot of time on your hands there cprompt
    He has a lot of time because he's right? Sorry bubba, but if you can't read the TOS and abide by it, then you don't belong in this business.

Save your rants for something legit....

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

::UPDATE::

The Planet refused to honor their own TOS and would not refund my money, so I did proceed with the chargeback and my money has been refunded. This $109 incident has probably cost them $144 if not in banking fee's including the chargeback itself..

Thanks The Planet!!

Est. 1998.

What was the exact date that you submitted the cancellation ticket ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12