NYC colo with sufficient staff

I've tried two NYC colo providers and have been pretty unimpressed. Recently I suffered a five hour outage while I desparately tried to get someone's attention to reboot my machine.

I'm under the impression that a lot of the lower cost providers who buy space wholesale and then retail it out are one man operations (or close to it). You can recognize these operations because they seem to be built around the technical prowess of one person.

I don't need high security, I don't need blazing fast ping times, and I don't need a Manhattan location. Brooklyn would be great, NJ would be acceptable. What I need is to have staff available to respond when there are problems. I need half of a rack and no more than 2-3 mbps 95% percentile burstable. I'm willing to pay around $700/month for that.

Suggestions?

5 Hours for a reboot is pretty rediculous when a simple APC masterswitch could have prevented that.

I know Webair is in 470 Vanderbuilt in Brooklyn and can probably work with your budget. There are also serveral providers on Long Island that would be willing to work in that area as well.

DD

Three words... remote reboot switch ;-) Less than $250 on ebay.
    bye

In a colocated environment, a remote reboot switch and a serial console server are wonderful investments. Many hosts provide them for free, and some charge a nominal fee for them. Ask any potential company whether they can offer this for you (they all should be able to) if you want peace of mind.

Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

I see that the topic has become sidetracked into a discussion of remote reboot switches. Yes, that's pretty obvious. And I know how to solve that problem without asking.

Can we please put aside the remote reboot switch issue?

Can anyone address the question that I asked, which is what colo providers have sufficient staff? I'd like to see a staff that can provide 24x7 coverage at all times, even when several events like vacation and sickness collide. And I'd like to see a place that is run by processes, not in an ad hoc manner (another problem you get with single person operations).

Both DedicatedNow (Clifton, NJ) and InterServer (Secaucus, NJ). are staffed 24/7 and provide colocation.

In NYC the half-rack itself would run for about $700

It's important to keep in mind that a reboot isn't always a matter of power cycling a system (thus a MasterSwitch isn't necessarily going to help you). What if the system needs an fsck or is hung on a prompt during boot?

Originally posted by NSCNAP Jeff
    What if the system needs an fsck or is hung on a prompt during boot?
    KVM/IP ...
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Originally posted by NSCNAP Jeff
    It's important to keep in mind that a reboot isn't always a matter of power cycling a system (thus a MasterSwitch isn't necessarily going to help you). What if the system needs an fsck or is hung on a prompt during boot?
    That's where the serial console comes in.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Yes, I can see that the discussion has become hopelessly sidetracked on the remote reboot issue, which is really rather trivial to address.

I'm running a business from my web site. Any number of problems can occur. Some of them can be solved by a reboot. Others cannot. So I was lucky that I had a problem that could be solved by a reboot. And in the future I will ensure that I have remote reboot capability. But I'm also going to ensure that I have technicians who will respond in less than five hours, in case I have an issue that does require onsite attention.

So, it is probably pointless to ask again, but can anyone comment on the staffing levels of the various colo providers in the NYC area?

In most cases colo customers are pretty much on their own for things others than reboots and extremely simple tasks that can be handled via the remote hands available from the datacenter. I'm not sure of the situation with half a cab, but if you have a full cabinet and are colocated with a provider in something like an Equinix facility, you can get the facility's remote hands 24/7. But they aren't very skilled at anything more than simply simply pushing power buttons or swapping out cables, and the cost is $250/hour. If you need higher level remote hands to do things like sysadmin or DBA work, you're probably better off going with third party server management than your colo provider anyways.

I think crnc.net is in NYC.

lockbull, I don't think hes asking for DBA or sysadmin work, hes asking for a support staff that can be there to fix things that prevent remote access from working.

I'm really quite surprised that everyone is jumping on him about remote reboot and serial console when really expecting the dc remote hands to do things like swapping dead drives for you, etc. is really basic. Of course half of this is just due to the fact that all these NYC companies needed to say _something_ so as not to be blatantly advertising

MKC,

Yes! And the lack of responses to my question seem to indicate that in fact there are very few colo providers who in fact have their own staff on site 24x7. I found out the hard way that my existing "one man band" colo provider apparently hands off service requests to Peer1. But he has to make the hand-off. Which means that if he's asleep or partying or whatever, he can't make the hand-off.

And none of these one man operations are really straightforward about the fact that they are really just a guy renting some space in a datacenter.

Matthew

You should definitely consider CRNC. You can get rackspace in NYC (25 Broadway) with remote reboot ports and/or serial consoles. I'm extremely satisfied with their support/network/everything for the last few months.

Originally posted by loopforever
    You should definitely consider CRNC. You can get rackspace in NYC (25 Broadway) with remote reboot ports and/or serial consoles. I'm extremely satisfied with their support/network/everything for the last few months.
    I'll second CRNC. James provides excellent support.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

And James is availabe 24x7 to provide this excellent support? What happens if James gets sick for a couple of days or a couple of weeks?

Can anyone recommend a colo provider with a staff that is large enough to not be reliant on particular individuals? I want a provider with processes and procedures, not personalized service. I want a small set of basic services that are reliable, repeatable, and efficient.

crnc isnt a one man show, do a search for them on this forum. i mentioned them because they have a great reputation.

I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not he is a one man show, but you could always look into www.rusko.us (he used to post on these forums, haven't seen him around for a while).

Another option is to go directly with Peer1 rather than through a reseller. You'll get exactly what you are looking for, however keep in mind that they do not staff their facility 24/7. There were times before I had deployed a KVM/IP and Remote Reboot setup for every server that I would have to wait upwards of several hours just for a reboot... Mind you, that was quite some time ago. In terms of getting them to do something during the 9-5 I've found them to be the most prompt DC i've ever dealth with.
    Robert Donaldson | Netivex
    Toronto | Dedicated Servers

A list of NON ONE-MAN-BAND's

COMPANY | Location
    www.digitalproviders.net | TELEHOUSE / Peer1 / NYC Connect
    www.rusko.us | Peer1
    www.crnc.net | TELEHOUSE / Equinix NJ
    www.voxel.net | TELEHOUSE

I'm sure that you will be happy with anyone of these companies.

Remember you always get what you pay for! If you go cheap you'll get cheap service.

Peer1 is an UNMANNED DataCenter, however there are a few companies (RUSKO.us ) for example that have their cage staffed almost all hours of the day.

Like the others said, not to be rude, but Remote Reboot and Serial Console will save you lots of time and headaches.

Someone already mentioned WebAir who have two datacenters in NY, one in Brooklyn and one in Manhatten. I beleive both are staffed 24x7. The Manhatten site is their newer site and offers them a much more robust infrastruture and reliability, but both can serve your needs.
    Scott McDonald
    Colocation Director
    Tyco Telecommunications
    Data Centers in most major cities: NY, CA, Japan, London, Germany, Portugal and others globally.

You could probably save a lot of time and get better information if you picked up a New York phone book and made a few calls. Ask datacenters about thier staff, rotations and skill level. You should be able to get a good feeling from thier answers.

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

You've touched on an interesting point. I find it amazingly difficult to simply get a list of what data centers exist in my area. If the phone book is the answer, I'll be all over it. I assume you are suggesting the Yellow Pages. What heading do you suggest I look under?

I must be completely missing something. Other than asking on this forum, how does one work up a reasonably comprehensive list of the colo providers in a given area. For example, how do I work up a list of the colo providers in the NYC metro area?

Is there a Google search that will do it? If so, what are the keywords?

There's something wrong with the industry when it is so difficult to make a buying decision. I can certainly say that I would have switched to colo a long time ago if researching it were more straightforward and yielded better results. As it is, I spend $518 per month with The Planet and $298/month with ServerBeach and some more with Aplus and Interland.

Originally posted by mhaines94108
    You've touched on an interesting point. I find it amazingly difficult to simply get a list of what data centers exist in my area. If the phone book is the answer, I'll be all over it. I assume you are suggesting the Yellow Pages. What heading do you suggest I look under?

I must be completely missing something. Other than asking on this forum, how does one work up a reasonably comprehensive list of the colo providers in a given area. For example, how do I work up a list of the colo providers in the NYC metro area?

Is there a Google search that will do it? If so, what are the keywords?

There's something wrong with the industry when it is so difficult to make a buying decision. I can certainly say that I would have switched to colo a long time ago if researching it were more straightforward and yielded better results. As it is, I spend $518 per month with The Planet and $298/month with ServerBeach and some more with Aplus and Interland.
    Look under Internet Service Providers. Also Web Hosting. Most phone books don't have a "Datacenters" listing. You can also contact the Chamber of Commerce and the BBB in the area you're looking in to get listings from them.

While these listings are by no means complete they will yield larger companies that will probably be better able to handle your requirements then checking here.

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net