screen (FreeBSD / Linux)

Alright, so I am running a few processes under screen, and whenever I try to kill all sub processes under a particular screen head process, it doesn't kill the sub processes. Also, when one of the sub processes dies, screen dies with it (even if only one of them dies).

Under linux, these problems do not exist. Under freeBSD they do. Anyone have any ideas ?

The obvious is going to be use Linux NOT BSD if you don't want this to happen.

There are a number of reasons why this is happening (or could be). From core system handlers to basic day to day operations, BSD is NOT linux and shouldn't ever be expected to handle like it. There are numerous "ports" of applications from linux to BSD, but those are just that, second hand "ports", not even designed by the developers in most case.

Most likely, in this case, this is caused by the differing ways BSD and Linux handle processes. Again, remember, BSD is NOT Linux, it's the farthest thing from it, and you're going to run into vast differences most of the time when you try to use a linux command on a BSD box.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

I've been testing this, and I can't reproduce it. It may be a bug in your app...

BTW, Linux and BSD aren't *that* different. Some commands have a different syntax, but IIRC process management works pretty much the same way.

Originally posted by Werpon
    BTW, Linux and BSD aren't *that* different. Some commands have a different syntax, but IIRC process management works pretty much the same way.
    As a developer, I've seen a ton of ways they're different, primarily in network and memory handling. Applications developed for linux CAN be ported to *BSD, but in most cases, it takes a good bit of work to do

Not so in my experience as a developer; but I'm not in a position to argue about this comfortably, and this is not the appropiate place either.

Done more tests under FreeBSD 5.3 and it still works as supposed. Which program(s) are you running under screen, DJ?

Not so in my experience as a developer
    Not trying to argue about this, just want to get your experience here
    Are you talking as a WEB developer , or an actual C, programmer here?
    I've tested out at least 3 applications that work beautifully under Linux, yet have taken hours to get ported to *BSD, mainly because of net configurations and memory. Admittedly, the last attempt at this was a year or so back, but still
    Web programming is pretty much portable, it's easy to do, really, it is!

I have a freebsd box running version 4.X of screen, it is the latest. and the sub proccesses are HLDS / SRCDS - steampowered.com platform and the shell script that operates it.

Screen > shell script > binary

I have a test box that i have set with freebsd 5.3, please do PM me if you have a few mins to test this with me. I would appreciate it.

It would also help to know the exact screen version.

FreeBSD 5.3
    Screen version 4.00.02 (FAU) 5-Dec-03

Linux 2.4.X
    Screen version 3.09.15 (FAU) 13-Mar-03

Those are the two systems tested on, I doubt that a new screen version would break the way it runs. As before mentioned, linux box didn't cause issues, freebsd box did.

Why are you using screen? There may be a different way to do the job that does not use screen.

Originally posted by linux-tech
    As a developer, I've seen a ton of ways they're different, primarily in network and memory handling. Applications developed for linux CAN be ported to *BSD, but in most cases, it takes a good bit of work to do
    Don't be a dilettante - look into FreeBSD ports tree collection, and you will find out that almost all (11k+) applications there compile without any changes. If you are a UNIX developer, you should know what is POSIX, which means you should also realize that good chunk of your posts in this thread is crap.