cPanel - Securing SMTP?

Hello there,

I finally broke down and picked up my first cPanel server, even though I've been reluctant to do so. I have always preferred manual administration using good old command line and some Webmin access, but if you can't beat 'em join 'em with some of the features cPanel offers.

So long story short, I'm attempting to setup my mailserver. I have tested it so far and things seem to be going just fine, except that I'm able to send mail using the server as SMTP -- even without using outgoing SMTP authentication.

Obviously this poses some security risks having the SMTP wide open like that, and definitely opens the server up the open-relay crowd.

Please advise on how I can secure this, and force SMTP authentication on each outgoing send. And if there are any default security options in cPanel that are suggested to change, I would appreciate any input.

Thank you,
    Kevin G.

There are two auth types in MTA exim which runs under cPanel:
    1. pop-before-smtp
    2. SMTP auth
    you may use this both auth methods in cPanel.

Originally posted by likonar
    There are two auth types in MTA exim which runs under cPanel:
    1. pop-before-smtp
    2. SMTP auth
    you may use this both auth methods in cPanel.
    I would ideally like to use SMTP auth -- but where is the option to enable this in cPanel?

Hi

You can probably send emails because you did pop the mailserver less than 30 minutes before sending. Cpanel default install is *not* an open relay.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••