Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Host Gator Review..... (bad)

First of all, I do want to say that in the last year or so Host Gator has been one of the best hosters I have been with. Very fast and reliable servers. However, just recently I've run into a problem with them that doesn't seem like it's going to be resolved amicably. I'm actually in their reseller plan, but this problem has nothing to do with the actual reseller account, but one of my client's account.

There seems to be a problem with running Mambo with Host Gator. The admin suspended www.wowmacros.com because of "server overload." When the account was first hit with the suspension, I was told that the site was using too much resources and that I needed to upgrade to dedicated hosting. I knew this was wrong because there was only 200 users on at the time of the "crash" after peaking at about 500 users all morning.

Before April 26, 2005 www.wowmacros.com was using the Land Down Under CMS with no problems. The morning of the 26 was the unveiling of the new site design with Mambo as the CMS. After about 2 hours, the site "crashed" and I get a message saying that the site was suspended.

The online help at first told me that I needed to upgrade to dedicated. Shortly after, he declined to answer any of my questions and instead told me to email the admins ASAP.

The first email I get from the admins are pricing for dedicated hosting plans. After sending another email about the problem, I get a very general and vague email stating that www.wowmacros.com had over loaded the site. I finally get the automated message from the server about the suspension with about 7 sections of MySQL code copy and pasted into the email as the culprit. Six sections of code was from the Mambo database and the last section was due to PHPBB.

AFter sending another email about the code, I get an email from a different admin stating "I don't know the exact reason for the crash. I know what happened and who was responsible."

I was like... um isn't that statement a bit contradictory? So I sent another email asking exactly what happened and what can I do to get the site unsuspended. I get an email from the admins stating that if I promise not to do it anymore, they'll unsuspend me. WHAT IS IT THAT I"M DOING? They won't tell me!

I sent them, yet again, another email kindly asking what exactly is it thats causing the server crash and what am I doing to cause it. I get an email reply with the same 7 sections of MySQL code with a response saying that if I promis not to do "it" again then my client's site would get unsuspended. Ok... I thought, something in the MySQL code is causing bad vibes with their servers... But which is it? Is it Mambo or PHPBB. They didn't give me a specific answer and reason why it's causing problems. Also what did I "do" to cause the servers to "crash." How can I promise not to do "it" anymore if I have no friggin Idea what I was doing in the first place. I was checking my site mail at the time of the crash.

So I sent them another email asking for detailed explanation about what is going on and why I can't get a clear answer, and what is causing the problem. I also asked if it is Mambo or PhPBB that is causing the problem and that both were installed using default settings using their Fantastico in the the CPanel.

About an hour later, I get a response from the admin simply stating that it was wowmacro_mamb1 that was causing the problems and that it was have to be disabled in order for me to get the site unsuspended.

So it turns out that wowmacro_mamb1 is the database for Mambo. So it looks like Mambo is causing the problems and / or the admins just don't like it. Why can't they friggin tell me that in the first place. They still won't come out and say that Mambo is the problem. Why did they point out to a jumbled mess of PHP code from both Mambo and PHPBB as the culprit and many emails later finally narrow it down to the Mambo database. Why have they ignored allmost all of my questions? If they can answer a type of question due to policy or security then TELL ME. Don't just blatantly dodge and ignore my questions and give me some half answer. I still don't know why or what Mambo did to get the site suspended.

I went to their forums and it turns out, I'm not the only one who has had an account suspended/banned due to Mambo. HostGator seems to have issues with Mambo. If the Admins don't want their users using Mambo, then why do they have it in the Fantastico so users can install it with a click of a button. This experience has caused me to lose a customer due to not being able to give an explanation as to why his site got suspended. How am I supposed to give my clients any info if it takes over 7+ emails initiated by me to finally get any information from the admins. Yes, now I know the problem is with the Mambo database, but they still won't tell me why or what happened.

As a reseller, I need accurant and concise data so I can relay to my clients if there's any problems. This has been a very frustrating experience. I've been on worse hosts and atleast they have the common decency to answer most of my questions when I have problems or atleast tell me why they can't answer my questions due to policy or security. This lack of communication and thorough explanation from the admins is frustrating. Their short 1 line generalized explanations aren't helping. As of right now, after 7+ emails, I have no idea what caused the server overload and suspension. All they have told me after many emails is that it's wowmacro_mamb1 and thats it.

At first they tried to get me to get dedicated hosting. After a few emails they said it was about 7 sections of php code generated by Mambo and PHPbb and told me not to "do" it anymore (what am I not do do anymore? WTH did I do?).... After a few more they finally told me that it was wowmacro_mamb1 and that it would have to be permanently disabled basically meaning that Mambo is banned. Yet, haven't once answered any of my questions.

Sigh... I think I'll give SonataWeb a try. Does anybody know if SonataWeb has issues with Mambo or PHP intensive sites?

200 users is a lot to have on at once. HG is correct to direct you to dedicated servers. I would personally recommend a VPS solution - www.servint.net or www.powervps.com.

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

The thing is..... the site handled 500+ users np with the LDU cms. It's not the 200 users. It's the way their servers handles Mambo. Mambo is what crashed their SQL server.

Sigh... I think I'll give SonataWeb a try. Does anybody know if SonataWeb has issues with Mambo or PHP intensive sites?
    Hi Aestus,

While we don't have any problems with Mambo or even PHP Intensive sites, websites that have over 200 active users on at the same time, are not at all fit for a shared enviroment. That is far beyond what a shared enviroment is meant for. Host Gator is right; A VPS or Dedicated is what you need.

The thing is..... the site handled 500+ users np with the LDU cms. It's not the 200 users. It's the way their servers handles Mambo. Mambo is what crashed their SQL server.
    It's likely that due to just the vast amount of users, the SQL server crashed. You have to remember, you're on a shared enviroment with many other websites on that same server. If you're pushing 200 yourself, you're using up the vast majority of a server's resources. It's not something that is fit for a shared enviroment.

I would agree with ZeonFX's recommendation of a VPS to start out with. I started out on a ServInt VPS and they were absolutely wonderful. I would recommend anyone to them, so you may wish to look there to start out.
    Last edited by IGobyTerry; 04-26-2005 at 08:20 PM.

Then i would say mambo must be much more resource intensive than LDU, I have never used nor heard of LDU so I can not compare but with that many users you need to look for some type of dedicated solution which could be either a VDS or a full dedicated server.

I host www.mambohut.com which is one of the largest Mambo sites in the world. It runs in a shared environment on a P4 2.8 just fine. There are currently over 400 active people on the site and server load is sitting well below 1.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

Originally posted by keliix06
    I host www.mambohut.com which is one of the largest Mambo sites in the world. It runs in a shared environment on a P4 2.8 just fine.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but there is only one registered user online at this time. That's a big difference from 200.

Yes, one registered, and 374 unregistered.
    Doyle Lewis
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account

Exactly my point Keliix. I've talked to other Mambo admins and they said that it's hit or miss with a server using Mambo. If the admins know what they are doing, Mambo will barely use any resources. My coworker is on a similar shared hosting plan on another hosting company and gets 800 simultaneous users and the server load is barely 5%... and thats on a 2 processor xeon server with 1 gig of ram.
    The server I'm on with Host Gator is a quad xeon processor with 2 gigs of ram.

Originally posted by Aestus
    Exactly my point Keliix. I've talked to other Mambo admins and they said that it's hit or miss with a server using Mambo. If the admins know what they are doing, Mambo will barely use any resources. My coworker is on a similar shared hosting plan on another hosting company and gets 800 simultaneous users and the server load is barely 5%... and thats on a 2 processor xeon server with 1 gig of ram.
    Are you sure it is a Quad Intel Xeon? It may just be Dual Xeon with HT. Anyway, if I were you, I would look for a host that would offer a free test of your site on their server. For example, give you a free 3 day trial to see if your site can be handled on their server. A well optimized shared web hosting server *might* be able to handle your needs.

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

My main complaint, if you read my review is the lack of communication with their admins. I had to send them 7+ emails to get any specifics on what cause the suspension. They still ignore a lot of my questions and give me vague answers. The site is still suspended. They are banning the account from using Mambo and they are saying that mambo is causing the problem, yet they offer mambo in their fantastico. I'm not the only one who has experienced suspension for using mambo after reading their forums.

Right now, I just want access to the ftp so I can download the content off the site for my client. They have disabled all access to the site, email, and ftp.

I'm willing to work with them to help prevent/fix the problem so that it may never happen again, but they won't tell me squat. They won't help me or give me any insight as to what was going on and what the problem was until about 7+ email tags. Their way of fixing this is to now disable mambo....

I really hate to post anything negative by them because they seem to be very great in anything else. A server admin friend of mine looked at the code and the situation and on his educated guess thinks that the plug was pulled on me and that the server didn't crash. He calls it due to a too strict of a throttle on mySQL. Mambo likes a lot of flexing room, but it doesn't hog a lot of resources.
    Last edited by Aestus; 04-26-2005 at 09:03 PM.

I am 99% sure that hostgator does not have quad xeon processors, mind you I could be wrong.

Another point I should make is, it really does not matter if you have 1 user or 200, it all depends on the script.

Ah ok, then it's probably dual processors with HP.

My client installed mambo using th default fantastico installation. what script could cause the sql server to either blow up or have a host pull the plug on you like that?

Can anybody point me to hosting that is perhaps more Mambo friendly? Keliix06, do you host through mambo-hosting? I may have to try them out since you're attracting about the same numbers as my client with no problems.
    Last edited by Aestus; 04-26-2005 at 09:16 PM.

Ah ok, then it's probably dual processors with HP.

My client installed mambo using th default fantastico installation. what script could cause the sql server to either blow up or have a host pull the plug on you like that?

Can anybody point me to hosting that is perhaps more Mambo friendly? Keliix06, do you host through mambo-hosting? I may have to try them out since you're attracting about the same numbers as my client with no problems.
    I am sure most hosts are Mambo friendly, its just when things start to act up on your Mambo install, then it's a different story as most hosts aren't too willing to troubleshoot the code.

With software theres more to pointing and clicking. Take phpbb for example, lots of people use it and expect to be able to point and click and voila. But in reality we got bugs coming out daily now for it, thus making it harder for most people to catch up. Personally I would never suggest simply just using an automatic install script. I'd go for a script from the developers site as it is more up to date.

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:50:21 we e-mail you saying

wowmacro was suspended for nearly crashing the web server. It was directly the result of the following database.

| 290630 | wowmacro_mamb1 | localhost | wowmacro_mamb1 | Query | 104 | closing tables | UPDATE mos_session SET `time`='1114525262',`userid`='0',`usertype`='',`username`='',`gid`='0',`guest |
    | 290631 | wowmacro_mamb1 | localhost | wowmacro_mamb1 | Query | 85 | Opening table | UPDATE mos_session SET `time`='1114525270',`userid`='0',`usertype`='',`username`='',`gid`='0',`guest |
    | 290632 | wowmacro_mamb1 | localhost | wowmacro_mamb1 | Sleep | 53 | | |
    | 290633 | wowmacro_mamb1 | localhost | wowmacro_mamb1 | Query | 118 | closing tables | UPDATE mos_session SET `time`='1114525242',`userid`='0',`usertype`='',`username`='',`gid`='0',`guest |
    | 290634 | wowmacro_mamb1 | localhost | wowmacro_mamb1 | Query | 50 | Opening table | UPDATE mos_session SET `time`='1114525303',`userid`='0',`usertype`='',`username`='',`gid`='0',`guest |
    | 290635 | wowmacro_mamb1 | localhost | wowmacro_mamb1 | Query | 88 | Opening table | UPDATE mos_session SET `time`='1114525262',`userid`='0',`usertype`='',`username`='',`gid`='0',`guest |
    | 290636 | wowmacro_mamb1 | localhost | wowmacro_mamb1 | Query | 37 | Opening tables | SELECT * FROM mos_session WHERE session_id='4b850d953296ec1415339c5c3afd1673' |
    | 290637 | wowmacro_phpb1 | localhost | wowmacro_phpb1 | Query | 117 | closing tables | DELETE FROM phpbb_sessions”

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:32:54 you e-mail us back

Apr 26 2005 11:57AM we respond back

Tue Apr 26 2005 12:05PM you respond back

2005 12:12PM we respond back

Apr 26 2005 12:40PM we respond back again saying same thing……

To be turned back on we will need to perm disable

| 290630 | wowmacro_mamb1 | localhost | wowmacro_mamb1 | Query | 104 | closing tables | UPDATE mos_session SET `time`='1114525262',`userid`='0',`usertype`='',`username`='',`gid`='0',`guest |
    | 290631 | wowmacro_mamb1 | localhost | wowmacro_mamb1 | Query | 85 | Opening table | UPDATE mos_session SET `time`='1114525270',`userid`='0',`usertype`='',`username`='',`gid`='0',`guest |
    | 290632 | wowmacro_mamb1 | localhost | wowmacro_mamb1 | Sleep | 53 | | |
    | 290633 | wowmacro_mamb1 | localhost | wowmacro_mamb1 | Query | 118 | closing tables | UPDATE mos_session SET `time`='1114525242',`userid`='0',`usertype`='',`username`='',`gid`='0',`guest |
    | 290634 | wowmacro_mamb1 | localhost | wowmacro_mamb1 | Query | 50 | Opening table | UPDATE mos_session SET `time`='1114525303',`userid`='0',`usertype`='',`username`='',`gid`='0',`guest |
    | 290635 | wowmacro_mamb1 | localhost | wowmacro_mamb1 | Query | 88 | Opening table | UPDATE mos_session SET `time`='1114525262',`userid`='0',`usertype`='',`username`='',`gid`='0',`guest |
    | 290636 | wowmacro_mamb1 | localhost | wowmacro_mamb1 | Query | 37 | Opening tables | SELECT * FROM mos_session WHERE session_id='4b850d953296ec1415339c5c3afd1673' |
    | 290637 | wowmacro_phpb1 | localhost | wowmacro_phpb1 | Query | 117 | closing tables | DELETE FROM phpbb_session

and you must promise it wont be used again.”

Apr 26 2005 01:06PM
    You respond back “
    I promise we'll try not to cause the crash again, but I am seriously in the
    dark as to what is going on. “

I'm not sure how many times we can tell you wowmacro_mamb1 crashed the server and we will not turn the site back on unless were sure it will not happen again.

You even said yourself “The site peaked around 500 and then declined to about
    150 users before the crash. “

I do not understand why we are a bad host for fixing the problem on the server. Keeping your site from crashing the server makes us bad? If server down time is what makes a host good than we are very bad. As far as lack of communication I'm sorry it took us a few minutes to write up a response each time.

I have a feeling you would not have been happy if we let the server remain off-line due to someone else on the box causing the problems your site did.

If you want to pay a little more for your site we would be happy to provide you with a dedicated server as long as you do not blame us if it ever becomes overloaded.
    Last edited by BrentOfHG; 04-26-2005 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks for helping to clear this up host gator.

Hosting problems aside, My biggest complaint is that it took me up to 7 emails to finally get a narrow answer on what the problems are. You could have said from the very start that mambo was the problem and the servers couldn't handle the load. Instead I get an email with code with a reply of "you must promie it won't be used again"

Promise what won't be used again? PhPBB or Mambo? The last line is from PHPbb. Also, at first I didn't even know what these were. I'm not a coder or a server admin. I'm a graphic designer.
    How do I not "do it" again if I didn't even understand what was causing the problem in the first place?

I woke up my admin friend of mine to look at the email and he told me that the codes were sections from my Mambo and phpbb database. Was it so hard to say in plain english that mambo crashed the sql server because I had 200+ people on it? You didn't say that anywhere, instead you copy and pasted some code and told me not to do "it" again. Do what? Am I supposed to read your mind? This is my gripe. The issues with Mambo is secondary. If you read the very first part of my message, I praised HostGator.

I asked what I could do to help prevent this problem from occuring, was it due to faulty code, or number of hits to the site. You and your admins responded to NONE of my other questions. Finally after about 7 emails you pointed out that it was wowmacro_mamb1 that was teh problem. So it took you 7 emails to clear out the crap and finally tell me the source of the problem. Your customer reps online do an incredible job and their communication is excellent. I can't say the same for the admins. Sending me a bunch of code and telling me not to "do it" again is no help. Again... what is it did I do? Now I know, and I can correct the problem. I asked what I could do to correct it and it wasn't until about the 7th email where you finally pointed out my mambo database.

One of your admins stated, L.Foster "I don't know the exact reason for the crash. I know what happened and who was responsible."

Isn't that a contradictory statement? The admin wouldn't tell me what happened or who did it or how to correct the problem.

How am I supposed to relay the proper information to my clients if the admins are not giving me concise answers?

This could have all been settled with "Sir, it looks to me that your Mambo database has crashed the SQL server due to overactivity. That amount of load cannot be handled with your current plan. We recommend that you upgrade to a dedicated plan or limit the amount of users to your site. Each account is allotted only so much resources.... yadda yadda. " After that statement about the problem, you could try and actually answer my other questions that my clients had for me. It's called customer relations and communications. Your instant messenger reps have great attitudes and communications. Perhaps you should let them do more of the talking.

I still don't have access to the ftp site. My client has demanded that I retrieve his data so that he may find hosting elsewhere. If you could give me access to the ftp, then thats all I need. I'll get the files and will delete the account under my master reseller plan.
    Thats all I need and this will be resolved.
    Last edited by Aestus; 04-26-2005 at 10:08 PM.

We hosted him for over eight months never any recommendations on wht or anything. His site causes a problem and immediately we get bashed in four threads representing almost his entire post count.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...5&pagenumber=2

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=399096

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...5&pagenumber=3

I wish there was some type of WHT moderation jury that was allowed to clean up unwarranted thread titles / posts. Us hosts need someone here at wht to help protect the reputations we work so hard to build up when the truth is clear.

Originally posted by hostgator.com
    We hosted him for over eight months never any recommendations on wht or anything. His site causes a problem and immediately we get bashed in four threads representing almost his entire post count.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=399096

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...5&pagenumber=3

I wish there was some type of WHT moderation jury that was allowed to clean up unwarranted thread titles / posts. Us hosts need someone here at wht to help protect the reputations we work so hard to build up when the truth is clear.
    I don't understand. Because he never gave a recommendation over 8 months of using your services, this person's complaint isn't valid?

I finally was sent a link via email the backups of the contents of the site, so that issue is resolved.

I haven't had a recommendation for 8 months because I haven't had any commercial sites on hostgator until now. I have 5 other commercial sites on another host and host gator was my own personal host. Can't comment when you're not really using or pushing a host now can you? Well this is my first time using hostgator commercially and this happens. Again, I think they are great for the most part and their instant messenger reps are outstanding. My beef was the lack of good communications from their admins. Copy and pasting a bunch of code and then telling me not to "do it" again is really no help. It isn't until now, that we, yes we, know why exactly one of my clients had his site suspended. I am fiercely devoted to my clients and if my client has a problem, I take it upon myself personally to set it right or get information as to why there is a problem. I get just as frustrated as my clients if I don't know what is going on or am not being told exactly what I'm doing wrong and how to fix the problem. After many emails, the admin finally came around and pointed out my mambo database as the problem and what crashed the server. They didn't tell me why or it was due to the hits I was getting. The only person who gave me any insight was the online instant messenger rep and he told me to ask the admins about dedicated plans and the possibilty of bad php code.

Now they're telling me that I CANNOT use wowmacro_mamb1 which is my mambo database. That means that this account cannot use Mambo pretty much. Why offer Mambo in fantastico in the first place then if there' s a risk of it over using resources. Remember before moving to Mambo, I was using LDU with comparable if not more hits to my site for over a month. As soon as I made the switch to Mambo, the server "crashes".

But I got the files and will delete the account. 5 stars for the communication with their online reps. 1 star for the communcation from their admins.
    Last edited by Aestus; 04-26-2005 at 10:47 PM.

this brings us back to the point
    how we can be sure who is on the wrong side when it comes to "server load" and "system usage resource"

is Mambo not a well programmed script ? as far as I know it is
    so it is not that a poor script hogging resources

is 200 users at the same time too much ?
    is then shared server meant just for static pages with some 50 users ?

were 200 users making instanteneous and simultaneous mysql queries ? unlikely ? if that how many mysql simultaneous connections does the host allow ?

We the hostees need to clearly know what different hosts permit what different allowances for system resource usgae and exactly what they mean by server loads, cpu excess usage etc

My first thread on this http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...resource+usage went unanswered while the second one http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...e&pagenumber=8 was drowned in a volley of arguments and counter-arguments till Techark came with some revealing facts which showed many people were not aware of the actualities w.r.t what has been already done in "system resource usage" measurement.

Now what exactly can cause overuse ? I will like to quote what Techark says :
    <<
    Now you asked if the scripts in Fantastico can over use resources, of course they can. A phpBB2 forum for instance with 100 users might be fine where as a fourm with 10,000 users would kill a shared server.
    So it is not the script it is not the bandwidth, I have sites that chew through a 100 gig a month and barely peak the meter on CPU usage, then I have sites that use 10 gig a month and kill the server.
    It is all about the amount of processing power the site uses how well the programming is done how many Mysql connections are the closed properly etc. >> --- Techark

1) So it is not that we dont have a limit to users. Yes a "huge" amount od users can cause overload. Question is what is "huge" for my host ? What is huge for one shared host may not be huge for another
    2)"amount of processing power and well programming " - did Techark mean programming of the server or the script ?
    If it is programming of the scripts , which are the scripts that are free of blame ? Are not all the fantastico scripts tightly programmed ? If it is programming of the server its of course not in our hand. A properly managed server will know how to "prioritize processes" and wont run processes like backup etc at peak hours which can cause slowdown and the blame can go to slightly overpopulated site.

it is too easy to say go to vps or ded but the fact is that many are not just mom and pop sites who use shared hosting, many are not so commercial or have web business yet have a certain amount of crowd - and due to the vast non-standardized aspects of shared hosting suffer greatly - because what one host can provide easily seems to be a hog to another host.
    We understand that at cheap prices it is some sort of buffet lunch - resources not used by many will be used by another and if one uses too much one will be thrown out.
    But we need to have approximate but clear idea of what is "too much" for my host ? I am not speaking of $10 per year hosts but at $8 to $12 / month , the hosts who offer a sizeable amount of megs in space and gigs in transfer need to be very clear , if not by specifications then by ample examples, what they can allow and what they cannot allow.

Enabling a per site meter showing resource usage will be a good idea and unless the usage has been so high as to blow off the data center, at most times the client can see the trends in usage and in events where her/his site has been put off from access can still access the cpanel/ whm via webhost url to see in actuality what is what rather than being vaguely told of some "overusage" by the host.

Thus the questions :

1) Can we have a list of scripts with their version numbers which are non-blameable and server friendly ?
    2) Can we be sure the server has proper hardware specs ( eg enough RAM, proper processors ) and its programming appropriately "tuned" ?
    3) Host, please say us by approximate clear examples -
    can the server handle a standard forum script with 100/1000/10000 posts and 1/10/100 users or whatever and how many
    simultaneous users just surfing and how many using actual mysql queries are allowed ?
    Can the server handle if I run both a forum and image gallery ? How much usage it will allow ?
    4) Host, how do you determine overusgae has been exactly because of my site ? Will you send a clear, concrete report of how you were led to that conclusion rather than stating vaguely "overusgae by you - so suspending" ?

Last edited by mahut; 04-26-2005 at 10:54 PM.

So now it is the job of the host to troubleshoot everyones scripts?

Heh you missed the point. If your car breaks down and I give you a computer readout of what malfunctioned and tell you "not to do it" again you'd be very agry. Now if I told you that your timing is off and you may want a better timing set or lay off the gas, then isn't that more helpful? I don't have to tell you how to trouble shoot each part, but telling you in plain english is better than technical bullcrap.

copy and pasting sql code and telling me "not to do it again" after 7 emails doesn't help me. Telling me in plain speak in the first time that "Your mambo database crashed the SQL server because of too many users" would be better. Wouldn't you think? Maybe some opinions on how to make it better.

Well, I host throught them but mainly because I own the company.

I will tell you that the Fantastico install seems to be more problematic than a manual install. Mambo is one of the better CMS's when it comes to resource usage.

If you have liked Host Gator to this point, you may wish to do a manual install of Mambo, which only takes a few minutes, and see how that goes.

Telling me in plain speak in the first time that "Your mambo database crashed the SQL server because of too many users" would be better. Wouldn't you think? Maybe some opinions on how to make it better.
    The parts that they pasted here were all writing to the sessions table which happens each time a visitor hits your site.
    Doyle Lewis

So now it is the job of the host to troubleshoot everyones scripts? ---OKIHOST

No , not at all
    The above questions in red does not say that at all

but in any case it is good to know which hosts have this type of response to those questions as above - so that hostees ( those who want to ) can put a small redcross by that host's name and remove from the preferred hosts list

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast