Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question ideas for hosting?

Hi everyone,

I am interested in finding a reliable (not cheap) hosting provider. Minimum requirements:
    disk space - at least 500 megs
    bandwith - at least 10 Gs
    CPanel
    MySQL
    antispam
    su-domain support
    Phppp - the newest version
    24/7 support, LiveChat, support Forum.
    price - about 10$ monthly

My current provider - totalchoice - does not satisfy me. I have a problem with my database and contacted local support. They answered they are not responsible for the "3rd party software". They told MYSQL was working fine, server is OK. Asked in local forum - still nothing. Tried live chat - nothing.

Requirements are taken from TCH basic plan. Does anyone know a better reliable provider?
      0 Not allowed!

totalchoicehosting.com is a very reliable host from what I have heard. Most hosts will not troubleshoot a 3rd party script. By this I mean if their servers are not messed up but something happens to your website/database a host cannot be held responsible to fix what get messed up. That would be like buying a car and forgetting to put oil in it and then getting mad at the sales person because he won't fix it for you.

What exactly is your database doing? maybe this is something you can fix yourself which actually you should since it is your site

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
      0 Not allowed!

And what exactly do you mean by 'latest version' of php ? Lots of people may mean PHP 4.3.11, though to me it means PHP 5.0.4 You may want to be specific if you do in fact require php5.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large
      0 Not allowed!

My database began to act inadequately. For example, a user posts a comment. Database fixes the total number of comments, but it loses some. So - it shows there are, for example, 5 comments when there are 3. Two comments have disappeared. Even some forum posts have disappeared.
    I told my programer to check everything and he told me that DB was ok. I told the same to TCH.
    I repeat once again: I do not tink I will stay will TCH longer than July. All I am looking is a better provider. Please tell me one ;-)
      0 Not allowed!

Whoa guy.. okay your database is not showing the proper post count and some posts are not showing?? How exactly is this the hosts fault?

Anyway I would not recommend you to any host for the fact that it sounds like you have corrupt code or MySQL and want the host you are paying $10/month to fix and again that would Not be their responsibility.

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, the problerms with DB are:
    1. Lost comments and posts
    2.Inproper number of counting of comments
    3.BBcode not working.

I thought it was my programer's fault. However, he examined database several times and told there were no problems with the code. Initially he thought there was a problem with my PC, but soon other users began to complain.

I think, if it is not database's fault, then it is hosting's fault. I see no third solution: either my programer or TCH. Programer tells he's not guilty. One choice left: TCH.
    When submitting the ticket to TCH support, one has to enter account name ir password. So did I. That means, local support had an opportunity to check (and if something remains unclear, always ask me) and to tell what went wrong.

Please tell me anything reliable.
      0 Not allowed!

Is this a standard run-of-the-mill pre-made forum scrpt or something you've had coded? The reason I ask is if it's something that's modified, it would quite well be the code that is having issues.

Have you tried loading it locally and running extensive testing on it?
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large
      0 Not allowed!

I would recommend Elixant hosting. Apparently I'm not allowed to post the URL because my post count is too low(?) but it's the first result if you put "Elixant" into Google.

For $4.95/month they'll give you 500mb discspace and 15gb rollover data transfer, along with up to 15 MySQL databases CPanel with Fantastico is preinstalled. Their support is fantastic, and the staff are always happy to help out even with 3rd party scripts.

My website, a large shoutbox host with 1,000,000+ hits a day, has been hosted with Elixant since November 2003, and we've been very pleased with the service they've given us.
      0 Not allowed!

You might have a look at BudgetHost.ca for your hosting requirements. I know the owner quite well, and I'm confident that you'd be taken care of.
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts
      0 Not allowed!

The problem here isn't the host, but the script. What, exactly is the problem, what script are you running?

You can't seriously expect ANY host to provide support for every 3rd party script out there, can you? That's just insane, especially when you're not illing to pay more than $10/month for hosting. Absolutely absurd.

There's too many "scripts" out there for one provider to support them all. TCH did everything they were required to do, which is keep the server up and running, keep sql up and running. Backups, programming, development are all the responsibility of you, the consumer. If you value your work, you back it up on your own, you know it inside and out, and you know what's going on with what you're doing.

Perhaps if you divulged more about what the "script" problem was, then someone could help you, but looking to a provider to provide ANY support for 3rd party apps, not really smart.

I second (or is it third) what's already been said in this thread though. I've heard nothing but good about TCH, and , while I've never experienced their service firsthand, I have done business a time or two with them
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons
      0 Not allowed!

Your programmer tells you he's not at fault. Sounds totally unbiased to me.

Get a 2nd opinion.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)
      0 Not allowed!

Well, thanx everybody who reccomended me hosting providers. A good advice is worth more than all the gold..
    My forum is taken from standard theme with only one exclusion - it is translated into my native Lithuanian. However, I don';t think it is a problem as phpbb supports Lithuanian language. No more modificatios to the forum were made.
    I just wrote an e-mail to my programer telling him to test all the codes one more time.

NO, I did not test it locally just because it is up to my programer to test the database. For 2 months this database functioned without any problem and only now first problems arose. I really think it is problem with hosting...
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by maniakaz
    Well, thanx everybody who reccomended me hosting providers. A good advice is worth more than all the gold..
    My forum is taken from standard theme with only one exclusion - it is translated into my native Lithuanian. However, I don';t think it is a problem as phpbb supports Lithuanian language. No more modificatios to the forum were made.
    I just wrote an e-mail to my programer telling him to test all the codes one more time.

NO, I did not test it locally just because it is up to my programer to test the database. For 2 months this database functioned without any problem and only now first problems arose. I really think it is problem with hosting...

You are probably right it is your host and darn them for not fixing your script problem. Good luck with your next host and the next one and the next one and the next one and.......

Robert
      0 Not allowed!

Hi. You may want to ask them if they had upgraded to 4.1 recently. That can mess up the language character set support. I checked it out and the Lithuanian alphabet seems to have special characters. That is likely to be an issue.

Did you set your database to cp1257_lithuanian_ci character set?
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••
      0 Not allowed!

to sprintserve: I do have some 4.1....(can't remember the whole number). The funny thing is win'XP arnd Win'2000 does not like each other's Lithuanian language.
    All I can't believe is that my database worked fine for some 3 months and then suddenly smth went wrong. I do not understand it.
    Besides, what about hosting in MidPhase?
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Fulk-->thanks.
    It is difficult to choose, because Visionhead offers almost the same disk space as TCH with bigger bandwith; Hostrocket offers even more...but is it reliable?
      0 Not allowed!

Look, I don't know for sure about the Visionhead, but it looks good and reliable for me. And about HostRocket, look what I have received from them (as a HostRocket free hosting customer) on April 16th:

Dear HostRocket Customer:

In the month of March, the HostRocket network handled over 58 Terabytes of data. That means that our network processed just over 60 million megabytes of data last month. Also last month, our e-mail servers took care of approximately 84,700,000 logins, blocked over 278,000 e-mail viruses, and delivered 18,548,442 messages. You didn’t read that number incorrectly...last month our network promptly and successfully handled the delivery of over 18 million e-mail messages for customers...
    It's up to you.
      0 Not allowed!

to Fulk:
    do the people at hostrocket's free hosting offer a MySQL database? I need to test how reliable their service is and my uses databases.
      0 Not allowed!

There is no database included in Free webhosting, but if you want I can provide you a Hostrocket Control Panel screenshot (available also here).

Also, there is a 30-day money back guarantee.

Just to mention that their (ticket) support EVEN FOR A FREE WEBHOSTING is really professional.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, I came to think of Micfo, as an alternative. I believe they have what you ask for, and my own experience with them is just fine.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic
      0 Not allowed!

Hmmm, this could indeed be the hosts 'fault', though it's more just based on how they handle things.

The problem could stem from being on a shared server...we've seen problems like this where one MySQL coding error from one user brought the whole server down.

You can add "protection" in there, but this can also be limiting to the users. For shared hosting, our tech team's policy is to address it if it becomes a problem by alerting those users with faulty code.

Are you at all interested in a dedicated server? This would give you the rock-solid reliability that it sounds like you need.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com
      0 Not allowed!

Well...the things started to go just funny.
    I just logged into CPanel and tested MySQL (option: CHECK).
    The CPanel found no problems. Does it mean it is a problem with scripts, not with the hosting?
    Yes, I am on a shared server, but my financial situation does not allow me such costs. For example, at TCH dedicated server costs from 79 to 219 $ and all I can allow is some 10$.
      0 Not allowed!

I think it's the script itself.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by maniakaz
    Programer tells he's not guilty.
    Of course people Always admit to their mistakes.

He examinined the database and said theres nothing wrong with it?
    Dosent that mean its your scripts messing things up the host is not responsible if you run bad code.

If your using premade software why not check out the support forums for the software your running?

You could try using an earlier version of the scripts if its your own software you should (keyword) have backups at diffrent intervals of production.

It isnt always the hosts fault when something goes wrong I know its nice to blame someone else but its not going to get you anywere if you move hosts your still going to have the same problems unless you sort out your software.

Id place my bet that the hosts innocent.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast