cpu and ram,which one is more important for downloading server ?

Dear friends:
    do you have any experience for downloading server?
    how the cpu/ram your server is ?

in your experience,cpu and ram,which one is more important for downloading server ?

thx

It depends when you are uploading to users and what software you're using to do it.
    ServerMatingProject.com
    The World's first server mating experiment
    We give new meaning to I/O intensive and hot swap

For static files (images, zips, mp3, etc), RAM is much more important. Any recent CPU will work.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Originally posted by TheVoice
    It depends when you are uploading to users and what software you're using to do it.
    dear TheVoice:
    thx for your response,
    i do not understand what do you mean about the "software "?
    is os or ?

thx

I think he means what protocol you want to use, HTTP or FTP. Then what HTTP server and FTP server software you are going to use. Different server software has very different requirement, thus different answer to you question.

Originally posted by hiryuu
    For static files (images, zips, mp3, etc), RAM is much more important. Any recent CPU will work.
    dear hiryuu:
    thx for your response.
    do you have any expenience about how to measure what the cpu/ram i need ?

thx

Originally posted by dilidolo
    I think he means what protocol you want to use, HTTP or FTP. Then what HTTP server and FTP server software you are going to use. Different server software has very different requirement, thus different answer to you question.
    dear dilidolo:
    thx for your response.
    can you recommend any good soft for manage it

thx

I can only say what I have used.

For HTTP server, I've only used Apache (1 and 2), Zeus and SUN Web Server, while Zeus and SUN might be slightly faster, they are very expensive. Apache 2 is great but it has high memory footprint.

For FTP server, I've only used Proftpd and vsftpd. Again, proftpd migh have more options, but it has higher memory footprint and worse security. I have very good experience with vsftpd, very fast and light weight, plus very secure. I can also do anything I want on vsftpd.

Right now, my users register through my forum, once they register, based on user level, they might automatically get an FTP account fully synched with their forum account. I have multuple ftp download servers using vsftpd accrose the world, all authenticate against my forum.

If you are going to use vsftpd, any P3 level CPU and 512M RAM should be just fine.
    Last edited by dilidolo; 04-26-2005 at 11:07 PM.

thx dilidolo

The amount you needs depends on how many users you have at the same time, how many different files they download, and how big the files are. lighttpd, thttpd, and vsftpd are all good choices for serving downloads.

A P3 with 512MB should do about 20-30 Mbit. If you need more than that, add more RAM.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

I know I am experienced here ..If your going to do FTP filesharing then find yourself a good amount of RAM (this will hold the amount of people you can put) , if your doing this big start with a P4 HT (HT) or Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz+.

I suggest you go with DRFTPD or GLFTPD , only people like us would use this.

i think pureftp is better than proftp.

Ftp: pureftp
    http: thttpd

Thats the software you want to use. But like I said it depends what you're uploading.
    ServerMatingProject.com
    The World's first server mating experiment
    We give new meaning to I/O intensive and hot swap

pureftpd disspaints me at this point ... im mad it cant do one of these two functions..maybe someone can help me? i need to cut off FXP on users nd have it for some...also multiple connections for some users etc...

Re: cpu and ram,which one is more important for downloading server ?

Originally posted by yesgo
    in your experience,cpu and ram,which one is more important for downloading server ?
    It all comes down to Ram and the server software.
    For HTTP, just for downloads I've used boa and thttpd.
    If you want to stick with Apache, look into something called mod_ioboost, its very powerful.

For FTP, David Greenman wrote a spectacularly performing ftp daemon, but I forget what its called heh.
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net