HE facility in San Jose

Does anyone have any experience with HE's facility in San Jose? How is it comparing to their Fremont facility?

I believe that HE has a presense in our San Jose Facility @ Market Post Tower. The building is really first rate...but the biggest draw however, is the gold statue in front! If anyone else has seen it.....you know what I am talking about!

Yes, I was talking about the Market Post Tower. I could never figure out who owns what... So, HE owns the fremont DC but just a presense in SJ?

Which one is a better DC?

As far as I know, Market Post Tower is a lot nicer than HE Fremont. I wouldn't recommend HE Fremont to anyone with mission-critical applications, as they only have one generator and their network and power stability leave something to be desired. I have not heard of any similar problems with Market Post Tower, and MPT's pricing model seems to indicate that they have a better-maintained facility.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

55 MPT is far and away a better data center in terms of network connectivity.
    It is my understanding that HE leases the building in Fremont, which is a good data center overall.
    HE has has been at 55 MPT for something like 8 years

Originally posted by Simpli-Erica
    A... MPT's pricing model seems to indicate that they have a better-maintained facility....

Always remember that price does not necessarily infer quality. Their pricing could very easily be due to their immediate surroundings/ market rate for their region.

I'm actually interested in the redundancy differences between the two facilities...

Are they both N+1 or ?
    Adam Lawson - AQORN
    OpenStack Professional Services. Commercial Support. Open-Source Cloud Management
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member & Corporate Sponsor
    Our Clients: AT&T | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

Originally posted by riverpast
    Yes, I was talking about the Market Post Tower. I could never figure out who owns what... So, HE owns the fremont DC but just a presense in SJ?
    The Carlyle Group www.crgwest.com owns Market Post Tower and One Wilshire, among others. Like Digital Realty Trust, there are in the business of owning and operating telecom hotels.
    Which one is a better DC?
    55 Market, like One Wilshire, is probably among the top 5 DCs in the West and possibly the US and World. There are many, many telecom, ISP, and hosting tenants throughout the building's floors. Draw your own conclusions from that.

HE's Fremont facility--I have no idea whether it owns that DC, but it did do the build-out of it--is also considered quite good, but probably not quite on par with the "world class" connectivity in the major huge telecom hotels . Since HE is probably the exclusive client of their Fremont building, there will not be the same kind of rich cross-connectivity as Market Post Tower.

Originally posted by boethius
    The Carlyle Group www.crgwest.com owns Market Post Tower and One Wilshire, among others. Like Digital Realty Trust, there are in the business of owning and operating telecom hotels.

55 Market, like One Wilshire, is probably among the top 5 DCs in the West and possibly the US and World. There are many, many telecom, ISP, and hosting tenants throughout the building's floors. Draw your own conclusions from that.

HE's Fremont facility--I have no idea whether it owns that DC, but it did do the build-out of it--is also considered quite good, but probably not quite on par with the "world class" connectivity in the major huge telecom hotels . Since HE is probably the exclusive client of their Fremont building, there will not be the same kind of rich cross-connectivity as Market Post Tower.
    Well Said!

The facilities are completely different.

Fremont has individual locking cabinets. SJC has shared open relay racks mostly in cages. HE Fremont is all raised flooring. HE SJC is top down cooling. At last visit in HE SJC, the ambient temperature was kept at 69 deg.

Fremont has about 1000 cabinets, HE's SJC presence has about 80 open relay racks (most of which are full). I believe there's a price premium for colocating in SJC.

If cross-connects to multiple carriers is something you're interested in, then SJC would have more options, but for that you might be better with just colocating with MPT and getting a cross-connect to HE for bandwidth.

If you're more interested in solely HE bandwidth (don't need cross-connects to other carriers)... there's no major differences in colocating in SJC or FMT with HE.
    Last edited by Lightwave; 04-26-2005 at 08:54 PM.

Got it. Thank you all for the clarification.