How the hosting is done?

HI!
    I am new in web hosting and all. And I found this very interesting.
    Can anybody tell me that what are the things that are required (hardware as well as the softaware skills) to start a web hosting business?

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Raghav

The only things "required" to start are a few dollars for a reseller account.

If you want to actually succeed, the list is much too long for a single thread but the very first thing on the list is a business plan.

Spend some time reading through the threads here on WHT, figure out your market, write your business plan and take it from there.
    It's time to kick back, pop in a From Autumn to Ashes CD, and relax.....

Thanks county, but i just wanna know that what are the things (s/w skills) I should learn in order to start the things. I mean to handle the servers what should I learn?

Hello raghav,
    It depends on your budget and your skills. For example, if your budget runs in the thousands, you can start with colocated servers. If you are on a tight budget ($25-$50 a month) then a reseller plan would be the way to go. A reseller is a good start for many new commers to this industry for several reasons:
    1) You do not need to worry about the server configuration and administration. 2) You do not need to worry about your cutomers ringing you at 3AM because their site is down since your host would probably be aware of the problem and will correct it without your involvement. 3) Whenever your customers have technical questions you can always turn to your host for helpful suggestions and in many cases immediate solution.

Please feel free to ask if you have further questions.

Thread moved to what seems to be a more appropriate section.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 04-26-2005 at 03:05 PM.

Before even taking the next step, get a small reseller account and learn to use WHM and cPanel.

Spend some time doing that, then slowly start offering some FREE support solutions to small webhosts. By handling some of their support tickets, not only will you build contacts, but you'll also learn to work with customers and solve their issues. Remember, there's always something to learn!

Cheers
    Ankit Gupta - Cernax Hosting
    "We're always second in the industry, the customer comes first."

Originally posted by Staedtler
    Before even taking the next step, get a small reseller account and learn to use WHM and cPanel.

Spend some time doing that, then slowly start offering some FREE support solutions to small webhosts. By handling some of their support tickets, not only will you build contacts, but you'll also learn to work with customers and solve their issues. Remember, there's always something to learn!

Cheers
    Nice ideas