is putting a hit counter a good idea?

i was wondering if putting a hit counter is a good idea? is it better for the hits to be unknown to someone coming to the site - thanks

Well, ask yourself: If you were visiting a site, do you care how many other people have viewed it? Also considering that it's very easy to 'rig' the numbers.

There are specific cases where it's "kinda neat" to have a counter, but reserve this for fun sites and amateur information sites. From a commercial standpoint, counters are meaningless and quite unprofessional, mostly for the reasons Dan stated above.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

thanks guys - points taken

I always put counters...

when I do not want the users to see them I make them hidden!

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

I recommend statcounter.com for web site trends and tracking. It has an invisibility option and for all the features, you can't beat it.

Andy

thanks - i'll check that out

thanks for visiting the webs best widgets site ( hit counter 2)
    or
    the best widget site on the net ( no counter)

you decide

I wouldn't recommned third party hit counters. You don't know what they do with your data. Try Webalizer instead to analyze your access logs.

I don't think that I will care too much about hit counter. CPanel stats are awesome but I understand the need of showing that to your visitors, but personally I don't like the idea that much.

Then if we take the issue from a logical part, you don't need to show this If your site is just new..unless it's a big one, you would have to show that to new comers.

I see no reason to show the users your stats, we did actually have a "stats" page on my forum before, that showed unique visitors, browser types, new posts per day etc (was for fun mainly and was a good tool for myself) but you have to consider certain things, e.g What about the advertisers who pay to advertise on your website? Sometimes too much detail can lose you business.

You can also keep a track of your sites hits within cpanel/ensim using webalizer or awstats

Originally posted by talkfreelance
    I see no reason to show the users your stats, we did actually have a "stats" page on my forum before, that showed unique visitors, browser types, new posts per day etc (was for fun mainly and was a good tool for myself) but you have to consider certain things, e.g What about the advertisers who pay to advertise on your website? Sometimes too much detail can lose you business.

You can also keep a track of your sites hits within cpanel/ensim using webalizer or awstats
    Especially if you have no vistor or little visitors do you want them to know how bad you are doing