Thread: hostdeal.com

hostdeal.com

Good Morning

here is my situation. I am a total newbie to this website/hosting world and a couple months ago I bought the starter package with hostdeal.com. I had trouble right from the start with their webbuilder, and even after a couple support emails it never really worked properly.

I got busy with other things and left my little site on the back burner. Last week I started to focus again on my website. On Friday, April 22nd, I emailed support that I wanted to change my domain name. I tried to contact hostdeal.com a couple of times over the weekend, to no avail.

Yesterday morning I again called and talked to Matt in support. I explained my situation, and that I know wanted to upgrade and add a domain name to my account, and again told them I could not access their webbuilder. Matt told me he would get both support and sales to look after me. 6-7 hours later, when still nothing had happened, I again called support and talked to Matt. Both conversations were very polite and civil, and I have no issue with Matt, but I did tell him that while I understand I am way down on the support chain, and I realize I am just a tiny customer, and I was not threatening or making demands, I had been waiting since friday afternoon to get some support. I also informed Matt that if nothing had happened by this morning, I would have no real choice but to request a cancellation and look elsewhere for hosting.

So, my question is this. Am I being reasonable in my requests? I paid roughly $60.00 canadian for my domain and a year's hosting. I realize I am no entitled to a huge amount for support just based on what I pay, but I am looking to upgrade and put one maybe two more domain on my account.

Again, I am not really complaining about hostdeal.com, I am just unsure as to what to do, and what to expect from a hosting company.

To be fair to hostdeal.com, I am sending this in to support with this link.

Thanks for your time, and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wow, you could find something much much better. Site5 for example has 15 minute support responses.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Thanks for your prompt response, I will check them out.

I would also like to point out I am canadian and would like to support canadian hosts, but if it is not possible, I will go american.

Originally posted by Deckchick
    Thanks for your prompt response, I will check them out.

I would also like to point out I am canadian and would like to support canadian hosts, but if it is not possible, I will go american.
    Our COO lives in Canada... that counts, eh?

Matt
    Matt Lightner - http://www.mattlightner.com/
    - First initial to the last name at the mail service provided by the world's largest search engine
    - Founder and CEO (Former) Site5.com, sold in 2008
    - Really honestly wants to be a good WHT citizen but can never remember all the correct etiquette. Mods, sorry in advance

Re: hostdeal.com

Deckchick you are spending money to have a website so a host should give you great support, and great uptime. From what it sounds you should move and move fast. There are hosts on this forum and not on this forum that would love to host you and give you the respect a client should get.

Also it does not matter how much you are spending per month or per year you should get the same quality of support that a person spending thousands per month or per year. As for good hosts from what I know of (none that are from Canada that I know of), but in America are...

Site5
    HostRocket
    AxisHost (was affordable host)

and so many others. Again I want to state just because you are only spending so much per month does not mean you should get less support, and less quality of web hosting. If a host does not give you good support and web hosting then look some where else.

Originally posted by Deckchick

--snip--

So, my question is this. Am I being reasonable in my requests? I paid roughly $60.00 canadian for my domain and a year's hosting. I realize I am no entitled to a huge amount for support just based on what I pay, but I am looking to upgrade and put one maybe two more domain on my account.

Again, I am not really complaining about hostdeal.com, I am just unsure as to what to do, and what to expect from a hosting company.

To be fair to hostdeal.com, I am sending this in to support with this link.

Thanks for your time, and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey it doesnt matter how much are you paying... if you are paying for a service you are entitled for support (assuming SLA didnt have anything unusual)..

BTW what are your requirements?
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Wow!

All I can say is WOW!

Thank you all for your input and recommendations. I had been in contact with both Taylor from Site5.com and Gary from monsterhosting.ca this morning. It was a tough decision, and both sites seem to be excellent, but I had pretty much picked Site5.com because they were offering a credit equal to what I had remaining with hostdeal.com. (Great marketing strategy guys!)

I had to go out for the rest of the day, and I have just returned. I checked my email and hostdeal.com had sent me 4 emails, 2 of them from support and billing apologizing for the delay and stating the were going to upgrade me and change my domain name for free. I also received 2 emails from Richard and am posting them here, because in my opinion, we need to commend and applaud companies for doing the right thing.

I have always believed you can tell alot about a company by how they treat the little guys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Connie,

If you chose to cancel, I suspect it is because we have taken so long to get back to you.

As such, we will refund 100% of your signup, including your domain name registration (which we never do...)

Sorry about dropping the ball - you mentioned in your other ticket that you noticed we purchased affordablehost.com (under 1 week ago) and due to the increase in support tickets, the response time has been unacceptable.

We understand your frustration and we apologize.

Thanks,

Richard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Because of the delay I have authorized the following:

1 - A free upgrade to the $4.95 package for the duration of your hosting.

2 - A free domain name change (normally $10.00)

Your account has already been upgraded. Please confirm that you want your primary account domain name changed to deckchick.com.

Thanks,

Richard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say to Richard, I accept your apoligy and will take you up on your offer.

All anyone can ask for is a reasonable and fair resolution. And in my opinion, hostdeal.com has rectified my situation and took full responsibility in a professional manner! Always a nice thing to see...

So, thanks everyone for your recommendations.

To Site5.com & monsterhosting.ca, thank you for your time and if I ever need to a different hosting company, you two will be on my short list.

Chick

Thumbs down unreal!!

I cannot believe this!

After all the effort that hostdeal.com went through will emails, apoligies, etc...

THEY ACTUALLY DID NOTHING!!

I emailed them yesterday afternoon asking why nothing had been done, my final email went to them just before I went out for dinner...

Zero... nana... zip....

What is wrong with these people?

Needless to say, I am gone from hostdeal.com... I signed up site site5.com, and i am cautiously optimistic that I may actually have my tiny little personal website up and running before the day is out...

"Richard" from hostdeal.com sent me an apoligy and an offer of 100% refund. I was impressed enough to stay, but now they can just eat my shorts... and give me back my money...

here is my final email to them...dang I was still nice!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am so disappointed in you guys... I have done everything possible to work with you, but you guys are brutal.

NOTHING!!! has been done, so I have signed up with site5.com

As per our discussion on Tuesday, please refund me the total I paid.

a frustrated EX client,

Whats the odds on me actually getting a refund?

I am not suprised at all that hostdeal.com did nothing... my accounts were just recently sold to hostdeal.com (which is also a part of resellernow.com) and I have been VERY disappointed by both the response time and the resoultion process. Our most recent email outage when over 4 days before an announcement even made it to the website. All emails, phone calls, and tickets were ignored for over 4 days. This is not professional at all.

To add insult to injury, our databases are still not working.

I've had enough of the unprofessionalism from hostdeal.com / resellernow.com.

Anyone here any negative reviews from varhosting.com or vortechosting.com?

Thanks!

Isn't hostdeal part of the dotCanada family? That would explain Deckchick's support problems.

You will be in good hands with site5
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Originally posted by Ghij
    Isn't hostdeal part of the dotCanada family? That would explain Deckchick's support problems.
    I think so. In any case, the email that told me one of my domains with AffordableHost had been suspended was sent out from Hostdeal support.

And I have had no replies from either Hostdeal (original ticket), AH or dotCanada. I hope filing 3 tickets in 4 days for a dead site is not considered abuse .

Although I must say that support turnaround at Site5 (for non critical issues) has been closer to 1-2 hours than 15 minutes yesterday. Would they be getting swamped by soon to be former AffordableHost/dotCanada customers?