Thread: eth0 error

eth0 error

My server was rebooted this afternoon, and since then has been refusing all connections, including HTTP, SSH, and the like. I finally logged in via a serial console, and found this in the boot log :
    "device eth0 has different MAC address than expected, ignoring"

I've tried rebooting the machine, and each time the same error comes up. Nothing with the server has been changed, except rebooting it - what could be the cause of this problem ?
    Thanks,
    -Tyler

Are you intentionally spoofing the MAC address on that host? At any rate, assuming this is a RedHat-style box, you can edit rc.local to do 'ifconfig ethX hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, and set BOOTPROTO in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX to "=none"

You're supposed to be able to set HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx in the ifcfg-ethX script itself, but for me it didn't work so I resorted to the above method.

Drop me a message if you continue to have problems and we'll figure it out.

Originally posted by timy
    Are you intentionally spoofing the MAC address on that host? At any rate, assuming this is a RedHat-style box, you can edit rc.local to do 'ifconfig ethX hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, and set BOOTPROTO in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX to "=none"

You're supposed to be able to set HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx in the ifcfg-ethX script itself, but for me it didn't work so I resorted to the above method.

Drop me a message if you continue to have problems and we'll figure it out.
    I added that line to the rc.local file, but what do I set the MAC to ?
    -Tyler

Originally posted by tytanic11
    I added that line to the rc.local file, but what do I set the MAC to ?
    -Tyler
    Do you see any MAC address when you do an ifconfig eth0 as root? You may also see one during bootup. Some (very few, though) BIOS revisions I've seen show the MACs of onboard ethernet on boot.

Originally posted by timy
    Do you see any MAC address when you do an ifconfig eth0 as root? You may also see one during bootup. Some (very few, though) BIOS revisions I've seen show the MACs of onboard ethernet on boot.
    ifconfig doesn't give one, and I'm not seeing anything during bootup.

Originally posted by tytanic11
    ifconfig doesn't give one, and I'm not seeing anything during bootup.
    That's awfully strange. If this isn't your system, I'd suggest you have your host check it out for you to make sure everything is kosher on the hardware level. Your ethernet controller should have a MAC address, but the OS isn't seeing it or the card is confused. For troubleshooting purposes, you can try to set the MAC to 00:0d:93:7f:34:05. It's from a Mac (ha, ha.) and as a measure of good practice (among other things) you ought not just grab a MAC from the air and use it, however I'm quite sure you're not going to be on the same network as this particular junked Mac laptop, so go ahead and give it a shot.

Still, talk with your host or do further troubleshooting to see if you don't have a hardware issue or a software misconfiguration. You shouldn't need to spoof or supply a MAC by default.