View Poll Results: How Many Clients Do You Have?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less Than 5

5 16.13%
  • Less Than 15

8 25.81%
  • Less Than 30

6 19.35%
  • Less Than 50

1 3.23%
  • Less Than 80

0 0%
  • Less Than 100

0 0%
  • Less Than 200

3 9.68%
  • Less Than 400

3 9.68%
  • Less Than 500

0 0%
  • Greater Than 1000

5 16.13%

Thread: Market Survey

Question Market Survey

I am doing some research, to figure out what I should expect when I launch my company.

How is this going to help you in launching your business? Nobody is going to answer this probably

IIRC, companies like SimpliHosting have over 10,000 clients. However, they have been in business for 8+ years.

So a poll like this would be meaningless [like blockcipher said].

Edit: I did the example before reading the other thread

why not answer it, it is anonymous :\

Well I'm not gonna answer it, but its not gonna help you see how many customers your gonna have. Why? Hosting companys varie on clients on how they market and sell. This survery will help you none.

Originally posted by arxor
    Well I'm not gonna answer it, but its not gonna help you see how many customers your gonna have. Why? Hosting companys varie on clients on how they market and sell. This survery will help you none.
    Won't hurt you either
    Ankit Gupta - Cernax Hosting
    "We're always second in the industry, the customer comes first."

Originally posted by DanX
    IIRC, companies like SimpliHosting have over 10,000 clients. However, they have been in business for 8+ years.

So a poll like this would be meaningless [like blockcipher said].

Edit: I did the example before reading the other thread

Errrm simplihosting.com? It has not been 8 years at lease from the site it says 2001....

1. Yes it will help, though the market varies, the bottom line is people on this forum, or at least the vast majority, are small hosts who will resemble him, so he wants to get a idea what he will be bringing in.

2. arxor, why did you even post? You added nothing to this thread, nor did you say anything that hadn't already been said. Though this may sound like someone of an attack, It just annoys me when people A. post stuff that has already been said that is condescending and pointless and B. you premise your post with the comment "well I am not going to answer" which is in such a form that "I'm better then you and I won't lower myself to your level.

and yes, I answered the survey.
    TitanTutorials.com, Making Flash Tutorials Affordable Again, Always Up For Custom Jobs

Originally posted by DanX
    10,000? Well, not quite...

I actually think a more valid question is average revenue per customer. You can start a company and get 10,000 customers, but if they're only paying $1/month for hosting, what's the real value of your company? Probably not much.

My goal is to have 1000 customers for Simpli by the end of 2006. However, I want to have 1000 customers and still maintain our average revenue per customer (which is around $90/month right now.) We will have a much more valuable -- and profitable -- company in the long run by focusing on getting customers who are happy with our service than customers who will split for a lower-priced company as soon as they see one.

I mentioned this earlier on WHT, but I want to mention it again... we paid for a strategic planner to do an intensive 2-day session with us, and it was worth every penny. We have a complete financial model and vision for Simpli now. We aren't just saying "Let's hit 1000 customers by the end of 2006." We know exactly what targets we have to hit and how many customers we have to get in each of our market segments to achieve that. We have a complete budget, including when to hire more support people, how many more customers we need per month, which plans we want to advertise, and what our most profitable hosting plans are... down to the penny.

If you are starting a web hosting business, don't get into the "profit = customer revenue - server costs - bandwidth costs" model. There are so many more things to do than just that. My only regret is not getting the financial model done sooner, as I think it would have saved us a lot of money. Do this now instead of later, when your business account is sitting at $0 and you're wondering "Where did all the money go?"
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

Originally posted by Simpli-Erica
    10,000? Well, not quite...

I actually think a more valid question is average revenue per customer. You can start a company and get 10,000 customers, but if they're only paying $1/month for hosting, what's the real value of your company? Probably not much.

My goal is to have 1000 customers for Simpli by the end of 2006. However, I want to have 1000 customers and still maintain our average revenue per customer (which is around $90/month right now.) We will have a much more valuable -- and profitable -- company in the long run by focusing on getting customers who are happy with our service than customers who will split for a lower-priced company as soon as they see one.

I mentioned this earlier on WHT, but I want to mention it again... we paid for a strategic planner to do an intensive 2-day session with us, and it was worth every penny. We have a complete financial model and vision for Simpli now. We aren't just saying "Let's hit 1000 customers by the end of 2006." We know exactly what targets we have to hit and how many customers we have to get in each of our market segments to achieve that. We have a complete budget, including when to hire more support people, how many more customers we need per month, which plans we want to advertise, and what our most profitable hosting plans are... down to the penny.

If you are starting a web hosting business, don't get into the "profit = customer revenue - server costs - bandwidth costs" model. There are so many more things to do than just that. My only regret is not getting the financial model done sooner, as I think it would have saved us a lot of money. Do this now instead of later, when your business account is sitting at $0 and you're wondering "Where did all the money go?"
    How much did the planner cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

bump, wow some great posts! Thanks for answering guys, and thanks for all the information. If anyone would like to be my friend in the business let me know. I am starting out in a few months, and would love to chat with people already in the industry

I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have.