Any Recommendations for Domain Name Registrars?

Hi,

I am looking for a domain name registrar with a positive reputation. And, before you all start saying to go to "SEARCH", I already did that.

Anyway, I was looking into godaddy.com, but decided against it since I have read posts concerning their security. Now, I'm considering namecheap.com or registerfly.com, but I want to do a bit more research about the other registrars out there. So, any recommendations? I'm not sure if all domain registrars come with DOMAIN PRIVACY, but that is something that I absolutely need.

Also, any reputable registrars with a good affiliate program?

Thanks.

-M
    Last edited by melian9102; 04-25-2005 at 09:21 PM.

I'd recommend GoDaddy, read thread ID 396620, all of it. Yes, they have some problems, but nothing in the field of security that I see, and nothing serious in the other fields.

I also like godaddy. No problems here!

I Use Directi and have no problem with it.
    Enom is also very good.

You can have a reseller account on any of them and manage and sell all the domains you whant at the proce you whant.

Regards
    Portugal Networks
    Shared and Reseller cPanel Accounts. NEW! Windows 2003 with Plesk, ASP.NET 2.0 and MSSQL 2005.

I would recommend NameCheap.com, especially since you're already considering it. If you look around the forum, you'll see that many people use and recommend it, and new registrations come with a free year of WhoisGuard (their name for whois privacy).

Originally posted by Krang
    I would recommend NameCheap.com, especially since you're already considering it. If you look around the forum, you'll see that many people use and recommend it, and new registrations come with a free year of WhoisGuard (their name for whois privacy).
    whois guard is only free for .info domains right?

http://www.namecheap.com/special-offers-discounts.asp
    For a limited time only, Get one year WhoisGuard subscription (Worth $4.88) Absolutely FREE with every new domain name registration or transfer.

oh..that's cool! i should have registered with them instead of godaddy if this is the case. lol

the pros of whoisguard is that we can disallow people to view our contact information. hmm...what about the cons? i havent thought of it but are there any?

Originally posted by rogerfreak
    the pros of whoisguard is that we can disallow people to view our contact information. hmm...what about the cons? i havent thought of it but are there any?
    For business sites, it's not a good idea to use whois protection services since it harms the credibility a little if the contact information is hidden (it looks like the business has "something to hide," so to speak). But for personal sites, I can't really think of anything negative about it.

I have domains registered with both Godaddy and Namecheap. So far both are good. Namecheap's Whoisguard is less expensive than Godaddy's Domains-by-Proxy, giving them a slight advantage. Namecheap provides the first year of Whoisguard free, and offers two units for the price of one after that. One thing to remember is they provide the unit, but it's up to you to manually apply it to your domain if you want to use it.
    Godaddy's tech support is probably better by telephone than other contact means. That's fine if you live in U.S.A., which I do. People outside of U.S.A. seem to have more problems with Godaddy as indicated by the messages on this forum.

I also think you should give GoDaddy a try, Ive used them and I have no complaints. They have the 'private registration option' which is something you want, and they also have a domain reseller program. If Im not mistaken I believe http://wildwestdomains.com is the brand under which their reseller plan is marketed.
    Vertivo :: Affordable Web Hosting Packages and Reseller Plans
    We offer affordable and reliable Linux-based Reseller and Shared Hosting Plans. Accepted: All major Credit Cards and PayPal.

RegisterFly, enom or an opensrs reseller is fine. RegisterFly whois protection is one of the cheapest and largest in the business.
    Domain Maven