Some newbie affiliate questions

Feel free to answer only yes/no if you don't have much time.

1) Let's say I have two websites, each covering different subject matter. If I am a member of an affiliate program (e.g. Amazon, Dell), would I generally need to open a separate affiliate account per website?

2) As far as I know, Amazon used to pay up to 15% commission per sale, but now I see that it is 10%. Is the online affiliate program industry on a downhill spiral or something?

3) Having two of your sites linking to each other (even though they are, indeed, related in terms of subject matter) - a definite no-no if you don't want to be booted from the search engines?

4) $500-$1k per month net income from one site (sole income: affiliate links) - would you classify this as VERY HARD for a conscientious webmaster to achieve, given the current state of the affiliate market [see 2]? I know this depends on SO many things, but...

5) If we are talking fairly high-volume products (e.g. bestselling books from Amazon), would you say it is hard to do worse than a 0.1% conversion rate (where this rate is number of credited sales divided by number of visits to your site)? Presume they are related to the subject matter of the site, aren't more expensive than $30, and that the site is reasonable at least (i.e. doesn't have "do not buy" advice for the links).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello,

1) Let's say I have two websites, each covering different subject matter. If I am a member of an affiliate program (e.g. Amazon, Dell), would I generally need to open a separate affiliate account per website?
    It will depend on the company of which you are partnering. To make all of your affiliate signups quick and easy, I would suggest Commission Junction -- Here you can create one account and manage all your affiliate campaigns from one central place. You will also find campaigns that will give you the return you are looking for.
    2) As far as I know, Amazon used to pay up to 15% commission per sale, but now I see that it is 10%. Is the online affiliate program industry on a downhill spiral or something?
    10% is still profit, I would not call this a downhill spiral of online affiliate programs. Again, if you are looking for a specific return visit: Commission Junction
    3) Having two of your sites linking to each other (even though they are, indeed, related in terms of subject matter) - a definite no-no if you don't want to be booted from the search engines?
    If you believe the sites are related, go ahead and link them up!
    4) $500-$1k per month net income from one site (sole income: affiliate links) - would you classify this as VERY HARD for a conscientious webmaster to achieve, given the current state of the affiliate market [see 2]? I know this depends on SO many things, but...
    Think of your expenses. How much money will you put into to marketing your business? How many sales are you expecting to make to reach this goal? Also consider why your visitors would want to purchase from you and not another outlet.

Before you begin this project, find out what your competitors are doing. How profitable is it to them and what kind of overhead is there? In other words, is there room for growth and expansion?

Whatever you may decide to do, best of luck.

Much appreciate the reply! A few things...

10% is still profit, I would not call this a downhill spiral of online affiliate programs.
    Was there a time when these percentages were through the roof, though? Like 20%+ at Amazon? Or would you say the market for such programs is still very strong?

Again, if you are looking for a specific return visit: Commission Junction
    Commission Junction appears to be offline! What's going on?

Regarding my site's content... Well, I have loads of reasonable ideas, which I suppose is good. This may sound funny, but one way I measure the desirability of each of these ideas is by asking the question, "Could the content easily be copied into the Wikipedia?" And, for a lot of them, the answer is, "yes". It is those for which the answer is, "nah, it'd be a stretch" that I am focusing most of my time on.

At the same time, I almost feel I should be launching one of the lesser ideas first, just to get experience with various aspects of being a successful affiliate (e.g. search engine optimization, link exchange, etc). Thoughts?

Is this your first web site? Start small and expand if you find success in what ever you are doing. See my private message.