Manage Server Need Help

Hello guys about a month a go i came in here and asked around for a dedicated server i ended up going with server4sale i will have a full report in about 2 weeks but thats besides the point

now that i have my dedicated server i need to manage it and this is where i need your help i want to be able to control the server

my buddy has a game server and he uses a program called VAS or something like that i cant remember the name but this program allows him to see the server desktop and control everything for example do updates , install programs etc pretty much wut i want to do.

right now all i have is SSH to install things on the server but im a rookie at this so i need something thats is more simple to use i need names of programs that work like a mention before for CentOS 3.4

I think you're talking about a VNC. Saddly you're going to have to learn how to use your console and learn linux. :p or you can hire someone to do the managing for you.

or you can get a control panel like Plesk!

The best bet is that your buddy uses VNC (Virtual Network Computing). RealVNC, TightVNC, and many other programs are based on the same protocol concept. However, the problem is, you have to have the X Window system installed (if it's a Linux server), and this can be very challenging. I'm fairly experienced when it comes to server management, but even I couldn't get it to work properly with VNC.

Some of the essential tools you'll need to get your server going are Daemons. Daemons are the software that provide the services. HTTPD (HTTP Daemon) is the webserver, and there are a few choices in this category, such as Apache. FTPd (File Transfer Protocol Daemon) provides the FTP services. Personally, I'm a fan of ProFTPd because of its ease of use. Next, you'll want a control panel such as DirectAdmin or cPanel. (Directadmin is my recommendation.) However, most good control panels require a license, which is usually $20/month, or in the hundreds for a lifetime license. Installing a control panel will supply you with the basic services of a web/mail server - HTTPd (in some cases), FTPd, POP and SMTP (The last two are for email)

Hope this helps! If you need any help, just email me or send me a PM.

well right now the server has CPanel but like i said i want to be able to see the desktop to be able to install programs and manage some of the stuff

Logo-One can you please tell me your order number? We DO provide managed servers. Are you sure your friend didnt had a windows server?
    Server4Sale
    Dirt CHEAP Servers coming soon

Unfortunately, most, if not all, default Linux server installs do not come with the X window system. This is really quite a pain to install, and installing programs is really no different. You still have to use the command line for most of the programs that you'll be running in a server environment.

Trust me, it's really not worth the hassle. You're best off just learning how to navigate and control a Linux shell, or finding someone who can.

well my buddy does have a windows server and yes i do know that the server is somewhat managed i just want to optimize my server to run the best and i know u can install things to make this happen and i dont know any other way to do it

heh, learn *nix.

also....there are tutorials out there that show you step by step how to keep up with updates and install game servers

Initially client did mention he just needed 3 domains configured. and we told him we will do it which we will. However after few support mails I realize that this specific client is completely new in Linux. Hence if this server is used for hosting it will be breaking again and again. We have recommended him Cpanel to make his life easier.

Logo-one if you want we can install Windows 2000 Server for FREE of cost. If you can manage it. And just want to run it as game server. Let the support know and we will do

P.S. You are always welcome to ask any question regarding server with the support.

Please fo email me if you need windows and we will go ahead and do it for you for free of charge
    Server4Sale
    Dirt CHEAP Servers coming soon

Originally posted by server4sale
    Initially client did mention he just needed 3 domains configured. and we told him we will do it which we will. However after few support mails I realize that this specific client is completely new in Linux. Hence if this server is used for hosting it will be breaking again and again. We have recommended him Cpanel to make his life easier.
    Was that about me because i never said anything like that to anyone of the support or Sales team the reason why i cant use Windows is because Cpanel and i will Email support team right now to find out ways to optimize sever etc