Datacenter Build Costs/Monthly costs tally

What I'm trying to compile is a price list of required services and construction costs for a datacenter... I'm not planning on building one, but it would certainly be a nice little reference sheet/deterrent for most of the hosts who have their eyes set on building their own datacenter, but who lack the financial research skills to realize the cost of such a project. So, if you'd like to contribute, just add your two cents (What you, as a customer, would most likely want in the facility), or the potential cost of some of the components of services of a datacenter.

I'll start off with fiber connectivity from most of the major providers (average price per month):
    T3 (45Mbps) - $2,600
    OC-3 (155Mbps) - $10,000
    OC-12 (622Mbps) - $20,000
    OC-48 (2.5Gbps) - $80,000
    GigE (1Gbps) - $35,000

You might as well double or triple these prices (You'll definitely need more than one fiber line with one provider), because without network redundancy, when you experience a fiber cut, you're screwed, to say the least.

Anyone want to chime in on build/maintainance costs or equipment costs?

Your pricing is a little low.. you forgot the local loop unless you are building your data center right in the local telco.
    Area51.mn VPS, Dedicated & Colocated Servers.
    Area51 Computers Custom Servers & Gaming Systems. (Since 1998)
    NetAffect Email & Web Hosting Services. (Since 1996)
    Quality Systems & Service Since 1996

Actually, there's so much involved... Depending on several factors as security, redundancy, UPS and generator backup, decent routing in layers, raised flooring, fire extinguisher etc etc, the initial cost will AT LEAST be a couple of millions of USD. But then again, that will only cover the very basics; if you wish to deliver quality and reliability, you're looking at a much higher bill...

Carl

Your BW Cost are closer to $10,00 to $20,000 for the GigE

Re: Datacenter Build Costs/Monthly costs tally

Originally posted by flashwiregsn
    What I'm trying to compile is a price list of required services and construction costs for a datacenter... I'm not planning on building one, but it would certainly be a nice little reference sheet/deterrent for most of the hosts who have their eyes set on building their own datacenter, but who lack the financial research skills to realize the cost of such a project. So, if you'd like to contribute, just add your two cents (What you, as a customer, would most likely want in the facility), or the potential cost of some of the components of services of a datacenter.

I'll start off with fiber connectivity from most of the major providers (average price per month):
    T3 (45Mbps) - $2,600
    OC-3 (155Mbps) - $10,000
    OC-12 (622Mbps) - $20,000
    OC-48 (2.5Gbps) - $80,000
    GigE (1Gbps) - $35,000

You might as well double or triple these prices (You'll definitely need more than one fiber line with one provider), because without network redundancy, when you experience a fiber cut, you're screwed, to say the least.

Anyone want to chime in on build/maintainance costs or equipment costs?
    All you need to do is have dark fiber installed from your DC to a carrier neutral DC and then use that to backhaul which ever providers you want. And that pricing for transit is way off/high especially for the OC's.
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing
    Locations in Chicago Los Angeles and Ashburn