Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet radio?

Internet radio?

Does anyone have any idea the amount of bandwidth someone needs to operate an internet radio station?

Is it better to operate on a dedicated server or can you use a vps?

Nygg,

Using a VPS is actually no problem - as long as you keep it within the bandwidth limits.

You can use the following calculator to find out how much it will use:

http://www.casterclub.com/bw_calc.ph...=monthly_usage

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Depends on the quality you stream at. MP3 quality is around 12k/s.
    So far I have not needed to make 31 posts thanks to the search function.

HP-D:

I had a feeling I was going to hear from you. LOL!

You probably know my plans.

Here's the deal:

I want to be able to broadcast (live from my end) through the host, and on to the the end user.

I heard SAM might be the best for software.

Also:

I have no idea how to calculate. Bits?

I imagine 200+ listeners per day. Maybe more?

Hi nygg,

The first thing you'll want to do is determine the quality of the music you would like to stream.

Popular choices are 128kbps, 96kbps, 64kpbs and 54kbps.

Secondly, you will want to consider the maximum number of listeners you would like to be able to tune in at any moment.

You will then be able to approach a host with the required information for them to create a quote.

Derek Solarino
    Derek @ BP6 Network - BP6.Net
    - Managed shared hosting, & more.

Nygg,

Sam3 is quite decent - I use it everyday for one of the station's I run.
    It is the 'best bang for your buck'.

Just a note - 200 listeners a day is one thing but what really matters is how many listeners you have at a time.

I want "quality" when doing my live broadcasts!

How much bandwidth is needed if you have 1-5000 listeners tuning in to the show per night?

300? 400? 500gb?

I think this might be more of an issue of what SPEED of data transfer you have allocated than the overall amount.
    So far I have not needed to make 31 posts thanks to the search function.

Hi nygg,

With 5000 listeners simultaneously tuned into your show (listening at 128kbps), the server will be transmitting nearly 300gigabytes every minute.

If you’re starting a new station it’s best to be conservative until you have a good idea about how many people are listening to your broadcast. I suggest you start with listener cap of about 40 simultaneous listeners and take it from there.

Of course, if you have strong indications about interest of your station, you may want to adjust the numbers.

Derek Solarino
    Derek @ BP6 Network - BP6.Net
    - Managed shared hosting, & more.

Originally posted by HP-David
    You can use the following calculator to find out how much it will use:

http://www.casterclub.com/bw_calc.ph...=monthly_usage

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Cool tool HP-David. Thanks for the tip.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

Internet radio is bound to consume a lot of bandwidth. You will have to take for consideration that if there are around 500 listeners then you are sure to consume around 100 to 200 Gigs depending upon the access speed.

It would be much better if you go for the dedicated server rather than the VPS.

So in other words, I need at least 3000gb's? About 100gb's per day?

This is frustrating the hell out of me.

HP-D:

Is your live sales chat down?

I wanted to talk with you.

Also:

Does it pay to keep business seperate from each other?

One firm hosts the website, the other hosts the radio station? Links?

Originally posted by Derek@BP6.Net
    Hi nygg,

With 5000 listeners simultaneously tuned into your show (listening at 128kbps), the server will be transmitting nearly 300gigabytes every minute.
    5000 listeners at 128kbps will be about 4.5GB/minute.

Realistically, if you target 100 visitors listening for 2 hours a day each, your total bandwidth usage in a month would be around 330GB.

At 100 visitors, your line utilisation would be around 13mbps. Just make sure your host has sufficient bandwidth to deal with it (they should have)
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Nygg,

I wouldn't plan too far ahead with listener counts - start it up to get a better idea of how much bandwidth you'll need.

If it becomes that massive you'll have no issue funding it.

Just a note:

Yes - our livechat was having issues and is now back up Nygg.
    Last edited by David; 04-26-2005 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks.

Just from promotional experiance, the radio project has all the makings of becomming something popular.

I like to plan ahead and want to make sure that bandwidth is first, available, and cost effective.

Does it pay to keep things seperate?

Internet radio is extremely bandwidth intensive, however uses few server resources.

To calculate how much bandwidth you'll need: http://www.radiotoolbox.com/online_tools/bandwidth.php

Nygg,

That all depends - I personally host my own stations on my webhosting box and haven't noticed any issues/delays or problems.

As previously mentioned the resource usage of say a shoutcast daemon - is beyond miniscule and you'll not even notice it running.

At the same time - as sam3 already uses SQL you can just have it use your remote SQL with your host and save yourself additional hassles of setting up a local copy.

Theres a few different things you can do to save time and money - and keeping all your eggs in one basket in this case (hosting and the stream itself) wouldn't be a bad idea.

Just a note: Most shared hosting providers won't allow you to run a shoutcast station on their servers - you'll need a VPS or dedicated solution but you could then host your own sites on the same server, as it'll be using very little resources.

Originally posted by nygg
    Does it pay to keep things seperate?
    It depends on what you are planning to do. If you think you will expand your services and add more features and listerns, you might think of seperating the services. Especially if you think you may reach the limitations of a single server and may need to scale your operations to your needs.

We host a webradio on a server with burstable bandwith. They use about 50 Gb a month.
    Enterprise Consultant
    CCNP Enterprise - CCNP Security
    .:. Travels From West to East .:.

Originally posted by edelweisshosting
    We host a webradio on a server with burstable bandwith. They use about 50 Gb a month.
    ...must be a really crappy station!

As everyone else said, shoutcast hosting isn't the most bandwidth friendly item, it does consome a bit of bandwidth, but thats about it resource wise. We host a few stations and beyound the bandwidth, the scripts themselves to run the radio use close to nill in resouces, so you'll be safe running other items besides the radio on a box so long as you have the bandwidth.

Also, don't plan too far ahead, as bandwidth is expensive, and you don't want to pay for alot of somethign your not going to use. If your just starting up on a hunch that you'll be liked, i'd plan for around 60 max users at one time for a while till things picked up, then go from there. If alot of people have voiced an intrest in you already, and you know you can bring in the traffic, i'd shoot a little higher, ~ 100 - 150 depending. If your going for quality, i'd go for a 128kbit stream, but also keep in mind if your going to have dialup users (eesh) your gonna need a low quality stream as well (i usually shoot @ 32kbit cause 56k dialup is hardly ever 56k, plus they have other traffic).

Hope i helped out some, and good luck with your station.

I know that this is a bit O.T, but I have been thinking about starting my own online music radio station..... BUT I have a problem HOW do i keep it legal regarding to getting the music ???

\
    Rene larsen
    denmark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast