Thread: Web Design Help

Web Design Help

I am currently trying to get a nice looking site together for my hosting company but I have ran out of ideas. I refuse to buy a template because to me that just says you are too lazy to create your template or too cheap to pay for a professional to do it. I don't really want anything fancy either. Just a nice simple site that gets potential customers interested in my hosting company and looks good.

The site is located over at http://www.maxcpuhosting.com . I know it looks horrible right now and be warned that the color theme may not go together the best since I am color blind.
    ~ Nick

Are you actually looking for somebody to design the site (in case of which you better post in advertising forum), or you are looking for design tips ?

If you are just looking for tips, here are few comments:

- get rid of that "red swoosh" at the top - it reminds too much of Nike's logomark
    - change your logo - put "hosting" below "MaxCPU" - the way it is now, I think it's difficult (within a split of second) to remember the logo and company's name. If you make "MaxCPU" more prominent, people might remember it.
    - if you are not sure about the colors-scheme, better stick to what works in most cases - white background, with black text

I am looking for design tips.
    ~ Nick

You could go with a content management system. Varhosting.net uses one and uses a template. Who cares if people think you used a template. The purists that think form is more important than function are not your main customer base. If the site is functional and not unprofessional looking then you can move forward and stop spending all you time on design.

Alternatively, you can do what I do and look at sites that you think look decent and create a template in Dreamweaver that approximates (doesn't completely imitate) the functionality and look but adapt it to your taste.

I've heard from some that AAA logo design software does a pretty decent job of self-designing a logo. http://www.aaa-logo.com/
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

I understand reasons why some would want to have template, and the reasons why others avoid them. Clearly, with (cheap) templates a company/website doesn't have a slightest chance to present itself as *unique*.
    If the site is functional and not unprofessional looking then you can move forward and stop spending all you time on design.
    Right to the point!

About the logo, I'd have to give a coment (or two) here - AAA logos are not good logos. I'm not using (subjective) words/feelings "beautiful", "i like" and similar. There are few factors that make logo "good", and AAA'a logos satisfy none of them.

Just for the reference, http://www.identityworks.com/ , good website with the advices about logos and branding.

The best way to find the right layout and design for your website, is by researching others. Find what you like on other sites, and compile a list of features/designs.

Then copy their source code (from the View > Source menu in Internet Explorer) into your favourite HTML editor (such as Dreamweaver), and fiddle from there.

There's nothing like learning "hands on". :-)

Moved to webiste reviews.

Originally posted by Odd Fact
    Moved to webiste reviews.
    Sorry about that. I didn't even know that this forum topic existed otherwise I would have posted it here.

Also thanks for the suggestions and I am experimenting with a few different things. Please keep the suggestions coming.
    ~ Nick

I don't like it at all... Very basic. Go over to cssbeauty.com cssvault.com and look at the sites there...then go and do your site.

i dont like this , basic , very old fassion , try adding in some placement , gradients and good graphic images

I now have a few ideas on what I want to try with the site and will hopefully have time to work on it this weekend. I probably won't because I will always have clients to help and servers to keep operational and of course that will always be my number one priority.
    ~ Nick

For a beginner it isnt too bad. I have personally seen worse ones out there.

I am not a beginner to web design, computers, or web hosting, but I seem to lack the creativity required to come up with a good design.
    ~ Nick