Web Hosting Reviews

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a website(s) [besides this forum] where one can find quality, trustworthy and reliable reviews of web hosting companies/packages?

Thanks.

This forum is an extensive vault of information on tons of providers, also individual provider's forums or client testimonial pages are a good place to look. There's no better review of a service provider than their client's own words.

The problem with many (not all but most I've heard of) sites offering reviews is that they are pay services, so the providers who spend the most get the best ratings.

Some claim to "not sell reviews" but they do sell advertising spots on their site, and you'll notice that the hosts with the best reviews also seem to be the ones who paid for advertising.

Not all of these sites are bad, but most I've heard of and seen operate in this fashion.

Your best bet for finding true info and reviews on service providers is to find out what their past and current client's say about them. You'll find customer comments on many providers here, and as I mentioned on host's individual forums and such.

Hope this helps and good luck in your search,
    Scott
    BanPro NET - stable & secure web services since 2000

You can always use other forums in addition to WHT: hosthideout.com, hostingdiscussion.com, sitepointforums.com, devshed.com etc.

More hosting related boards here:

http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/W...ts_and_Forums/

However, don't expect the same abundence of information there. WHT is a giant when it comes to hosting related info.

Check out Dan's site listed above my post... whreviews.com, a great non-biased review site (one of the few).
    HostGator.com - A worldwide leader in Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting.

Originally posted by Taylor
    Check out Dan's site listed above my post... whreviews.com, a great non-biased review site (one of the few).
    No such thing as "non-biased". Dan has a good bias that he can back up with good data and I trust his information because he knows what he's talking about and backs up his reasons. We all have biases, the trick is to recognize what they are and to critically evaluate them.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Thanks for the replies.

My only issue regarding WHT is that I find it hard to find the reviews. There are some many threads and posts that even when I do a search it is difficult to find the info that I am looking for. Any suggestions on how to better find the info here that I am looking for? Thanks.

While we are on the subject, what do people think of the following three sites:

webhostingjury
    webhostingjungle
    webhostmagazine

Thanks.

We all have biases, the trick is to recognize what they are and to critically evaluate them.
    You said it true DevilDog. Regarding hosting (or hosts), I found that I while don't favor hosts, I do have strong feelings against certain hosts (and obvisously they are not on my list). No one's perfect and a human without subjectivity does not exist. Subjectivity is partially what makes us humans. My mother will always love me more than she does other people, and I believe that's a good thing. But I digress...

There are some many threads and posts that even when I do a search it is difficult to find the info that I am looking for.
    One thing you can do is to search for "thenameofthehost" and select "thread titles only". Another method that is said to be working (although I don't use it) is to search for "thenameofthehost review".

Most websites (not forums) that are collecting reviews suffer from one (IMO important flaw). Hosts send selected customers (friends, customers that are happy at a moment or another) to post reviews there. This can create a fake (or at least quite skewed) image of that host's reliability.

This is not to say that reviews on forums are perfect. They aren't. Certain hosts have no representatives here, so many customer complaints or negative reviews remain unanswered. Knowing just one side of the story rarely leads to the most balanced or accurate view on the situation.

PS. Thank you Taylor for the nice words.

Originally posted by DevilDog
    No such thing as "non-biased". Dan has a good bias that he can back up with good data and I trust his information because he knows what he's talking about and backs up his reasons. We all have biases, the trick is to recognize what they are and to critically evaluate them.
    Of course we all have a bias. I was more referring to the fact that he doesn't accept paid inclusions, or paid advertising throughout the site. He limits the possibilities of any bias being shown greatly, which is rare amongst those type of sites.
    HostGator.com - A worldwide leader in Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting.

I understand what you're saying and I know firsthand that some companies will try to pay to get on top. Your advice to be cautious is good.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

IMO Most of web hosting review sites are built to make money,,,

More money brings to the site,,,Better review for that hosting,,,

That's my understanding

Most review sites are just in it for the money. I have about 100 of those bookmarked, and I'd say about 90 of them are of little or no value, apart from just being host-lists.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

I guess WHT is better than any hosting review sites out there,,

I see lots of good host in this forum those who work honestly and responsibly,,,

I think using the search function here is a great idea. Test out support before hand and ask for an uptime report of the server you would be on.

Best of luck.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

The problem with reviews of any service is that it the service changes from month to month. Unlike a product that can be reviewed by Consumer Reports and the review is accurate after 10 years.

Hosting services change every month beacue too many clients added, servers are overloaded, support reps quit, hardware fails, etc.

The search function here will list lots of comments from numerous web hosts in competetion with each other - keep that in mind.

Good luck in your search!
    http://www.ChicagoJobResource.com
    Chicago Job Resource
    YOUR career connection for Chicago jobs, careers and employment

Originally posted by Webhelper
    Thanks for the replies.

My only issue regarding WHT is that I find it hard to find the reviews.

I agree and many have made the suggestion about adding a reviews forum only but I think when it was all said and done they believed most would still post reviews (positive or negative) within the general forum. Its just my personal opinion that they should have a seperate forum for that subject, but it wont happen. It seems any other hosting related topic pretty much has their own forum, EXCEPT reviews.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

I can tell you there are a few good ones here in this thread if you check out the signatures. When it comes down to it, the search option is your best friend.
    IO ZOOM - 100% SSD VPS Hosting
    Pure SSD / Raid 10 / Free DDoS Protection / KVM Virtualization
    Datacenter Locations in Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, and Miami
    www.ioZoom.com / sales[at]iozoom.com

There is also a rare possibility that there is no review (or very few) of a particular host.. in that case you can start a thread asking people for opinions and experiences..
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com