Whats the difference between a managed and none managed?

Whats the difference between a managed server and none managed server?

There are different types of managed servers depending on what the provider considers being managed. Some managed providers just run updates and patches while others also setup up software requested by their customers. While non managed server means you have to do the updating and patching yourself. I hope that helps

yep, thats what I needed to know

unmanged = pro
    managed = n00b

lol, nah. i'm kidding. the managed feature depened on what the provider offer sometime some company may think they offer a managed server but what they cover is not what you want so it depend. unmanaged mean you will be the one taking care the server and no one else.

Think of a server as a vehicle. An unmanaged server is like a rental car, you rent it, they give you a car which has wheels, doors and and engine and you need to drive it yourself, if you run out of gas and breakdown, you need to handle it yourself.

A managed server is like taking a ride in a taxi cab or in a chauffer driven car. You leave the driving and all the running of car to whoever drives you around. You just sit and enjoy the ride and tell them where you want to drive. You are just responsible for the rest of the passengers in the vehicle.

A managed server is like taking a ride in a taxi cab or in a chauffer driven car. You leave the driving and all the running of car to whoever drives you around. You just sit and enjoy the ride and tell them where you want to drive. You are just responsible for the rest of the passengers in the vehicle.
    Not necessarily
    In a TRULY managed server environment, yes, this is true, however you won't find a TRULY managed server environment in budgetland. In fact, in most cases you won't find a TRULY managed server from the DC at all.

Truly managed means
    -- They go through logs frequently
    -- They check for rootkits frequently
    -- They secure the server
    -- They update the server
    -- They handle all linux related issues

I've yet to find any true providers that offer this, though FS comes close. The problem with this is that most providers don't have the staff to baby their customer's logs like they shoudl be, searching for infiltrations, etc.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Ah well. Of course, in theory that's true but in reality most would fall somewhere between the scale of managed and unmanaged. Like I said in the other threads, check with the managed provider as to what they would do.

Some which advertised managed service would simply include some ping services which would alert you if your server or services are down and also include assistance to do standard kernel patches which may just mean running up2date.

While others claim that they provide managed services because the server comes with a control panel which takes some work from you by automating it.

While others, would just ensure that your server is up and running the same state as it is delivered to you. Security issues would be up to you.

Some would include security patches, hardening and trouble-shooting but leaves the running of the server, ie setting up accounts and dealing with customers to you.

Originally posted by eddy2099
    Think of a server as a vehicle. An unmanaged server is like a rental car, you rent it, they give you a car which has wheels, doors and and engine and you need to drive it yourself, if you run out of gas and breakdown, you need to handle it yourself.

I like it.. good analogy ... oh linux-tech who is FS?
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

I think FS is http://www.FastServers.net .

yeah, sorry, fastservers = FS = GOOOOOD!
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details