Ever leave a Dr/Hospital with a wrong diagnoses?

Have you ever been sent on your way from a Dr/Hospital with the wrong diagnoses?

That's what I'm going through -- well at least my 2 year old.

Last Monday, my 2 year old decided to jump off our coffee table (18in high), and cried instantly, and he said it was his ankle that hurt (he's very smart for his age).  So I got some ice, and iced his ankle -- thinking maybe he just sprained it.  When it didn't swell or bruise (which is usually common in sprains), and after he still couldn't bare any weight on it, I took him to the ER.

Initially, they thought he might've jammed his hip.  Then they thought maybe a knee injury.  So they decided to take xrays of his hip to knee area.  And came up with no fractures.  They said it was a sprain (somewhere... where though?).  And sent me on my way.

How am I suppose to R.I.C.E (rest, ice, compression, elevate) an injury that I don't know where it it exactly?!

I went in for his follow up at his Dr. on Friday (I shouldn't have waited that long - but that's what the ER told me).

On Friday, it was 5 days after his injury.  And he was still unable to bear weight on it - stand/walk, etc.  They only thing he did was crawl and scoot across the floor.

They confirmed that he still couldn't bear weight on his injured leg, and had me get xrays done after I left their office.  This time they took xrays of his ankle/lower leg area.

I didn't hear back from the Dr on Friday night, and the radiology dept wouldn't give me the results of the xrays (told me to call the Dr).

Well I called this morning, and come to find out my dear 2 year old son has a spiral fracture of his right tibia.

Commonly known as a "bunk bed" fracture (jumping and a twisted landing on the leg).

So we're going to the Orthopedist this afternoon (they're going to squeeze him in).

I sure hope this doesn't need to be done:

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1997/06jun/garl.htm

--

But because of the ERs lack of taking a full leg xray, he's been crawling around with a spiral fracture.

@^#$**@^!@#$  Sarasota Memorial Hospital  @^#$**@^!@#$

*sigh*

Your poor baby! Hope he gets to feeling better soon!!

I can understand how you're feeling, at least about ERs. My daughter (also 2) was running a nasty fever last month. After it stayed above 103 for more than 24 hours and wouldn't go down with tylenol we took her to the ER. They thought it might be a bladder infection and had to do a straight catheter on her to take a urine sample. Afterwards, the nurses (who were really so nice) told us to just keep her bottom uncovered so she could be a little cooler.

The f*#$^ ER dr walks in, pulls the privacy curtain back, barks an order at the nurses, and leaves the room - curtain still open, my daughter exposed to anyone walking past.

Then, he sees that her bottom is red and asks if she knows the proper *ahem* cleansing method after using the restroom. Nurse replied "Uh, she's still in diapers" (which was obvious since she was just laying on a clean one while she waited). Dr looks at me and says, in a very snotty tone "I'll prescribe an antibiotic for her bottom. You need to make sure to change her on a regular basis so she doesn't get rashes like that." Then he leaves. The nurse did tell me that it's pretty common for kids to get rashes like that when running such a high fever for so long.

I've written a nice, scorching letter to the hospital .

If I were you, rockergrrl, I'd be in there pitching a fit. That's negligence - even someone in med school would know to check the whole leg, especially after you explained what happened.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Dang, that's a strong kid. Spiral fractures from what I've heard are wicked painful. (Wicked is my new word to say.)

My cousin who's 5 now, used to slide down the steps on stomach. Well the one time his foot got caught and his slide turned into a tumble. He ended up breaking his femur. Luckily the doctors diagnosed it properly, but he was in pain for a few months.

I've actually been told the diaper rash thing - by my child's doctor (the doctor sucks... but the Nurse Practioner is very nice - I go to her now). My son had the roto virus... so he had messes coming out every 5 minutes. I went through 2 packages of 80ct diapers during the 1 1/2 weeks he was sick. I couldn't change his diaper fast enough before another blow out came around. Of course he had a diaper rash - he was never dry (besides right after a changing).

Anyways...

I emailed a malpractice lawyer in the area - I'll see what they say.

I hate doing that... but who knows what damage a week has done on that fracture.

I looked up some malpractice advice online and I came across:

Failure to perform medical procedures in a competent manner
    Failure to order necessary tests or evaluate their results
    Diagnosing an incorrect condition and pursuing the wrong treatment

My mom said that I could probably only persue anything if he ends up having a perm. limp because of this. But who knows.

--

I sure hope he does need surgery!

--

I still don't know why they didn't listen to me.

I even told them, that when I was in high school, I broke my ankle... and he didn't even bruise or swell up, but I couldn't bear any weight on it. I could move it fine. But other than that, they didn't know it was broken by feeling it. They xrayed it, and there were fractures in my ankle (since the ankle has bones surrounded by bones).

I'm fumed!

--

btw - did anything come of the nice scorching letter you send tot he hospital? Did they even call and apologize at all?

I do not like the doctors much at the ER. They charge to much, and they think they know everything even when you tell them what is wrong with you or your child. Doctors mess up about 12% of the time (read it in many places), and it just so sad that the doctor did not listen to you when you said where it was hurting him.

going on a week with that is just horrible, and must be so painfull. I would hope the doctor in the ER gets in major trouble for his actions.

Haven't heard anything yet; I was waiting for them to send me their survey since I know the president of the hospital reads them..heh Took 'em over a month to get the survey to me; I just dropped the letter in the mailbox last week.

I'm also going to enclose one to the company that the ER docs are employed through.

Not sure if it'll make a difference, but if I had my way that Dr would never work @ that hospital again.

----

I hope you're able to slam them with something; at the very least they ought to not bill you for that first visit (right - like that would happen LOL)

LOL

Actually I got my survey on Friday (I believe it was). I haven't done anything with it... I'll rant in it...

Actually, the kids are covered under Medicaid... I don't see any bills at all.

But I'm sure Medicaid will be perturbed about seeing 3 sets of xrays done (I'm sure they'll do one today when I go to the Ortho).

You never know in a weeks time, a little child's body works overtime to try and heal stuff. I'm sure they'll have to re-break the leg in order to set it.

ugh!

Originally posted by rockergrrl
    Actually, the kids are covered under Medicaid... I don't see any bills at all.

But I'm sure Medicaid will be perturbed about seeing 3 sets of xrays done (I'm sure they'll do one today when I go to the Ortho).
    Medicaid is government, not insurance. An insurance company would fight it. However, if you tell Medicaid, they will simply refuse to pay for the unneeded x-rays, and the hospital will turn to you and make you responsible. If you dont pay, then it goes on your credit. I wouldnt say a word to medicaid, instead I would pursue the legal avenue. Even just a letter to the hospital from a lawyer is usually enough to get them to drop the charges for the innaccurate diagnosis. Then you can tell Medicaid.

Well he's under an HMO has his secondary.

More or less.. then un-needed xrays would be the ones from the ER, and not the DR/Ortho.

If it wasn't for the Dr. ordering an xray he'd probably still be crawling around with a broken leg.

And an xray from the Ortho, would be done to make sure exactly where it is (I don't have the xrays), and and if its healed at all (as they might have the break it).

Unfortunately... I don't have money for real insurance (or even the deductible which would've came from going to the ER).

My friend fell off the roof, went to the doctor and they told him he just needed bed rest. 2 days later he went back finding out he had a broken back in 2 spots! strange...

Although this happens less often than correct diagnoses and subsequent treatment, it is still a fairly common occurence. I would not pursue matters by legal means unless your son exhibits or is prognosticated to have future problems or symptoms resulting from this misdiagnosis. Otherwise, I don't know how much you'd get out of it, if anything.

EDIT:

To contrast this misdiagnosis with that of a family friend's, he had a spot on his skin that aroused his wife's suspicion. She urged him to get it checked out by their family doctor, and he finally did so. The doctor told him not to worry about it, and that it was just a normal pimple. Upon forgetting about it for a while, he noticed it was growing and changing shape as time went on. At this point, he and his wife knew it had to be looked at, so they went to a different doctor. I believe it was either this or the next doctor that finally took the time to examine and test the now obviously expanding and changing mass. He determined that it was indeed melanoma. He battled the cancer for some months, but died in the middle of the night sometime thereafter. I cannot recall -- nor am I sure that we even received -- all of the details, and I can't remember how long he battled it or what treatment he received, but I just thought I'd point out how irresponsible and often ignorant doctors can be, despite their four or more years of medical school and their supposed "know-all" status in today's society.

Never trust a doctor if something tells you that they are wrong, because it's quite likely that they are.
    Last edited by SniperDevil; 04-25-2005 at 04:10 PM.

So sorry to hear about your little one! Hafta agree, that is one tough little kid to keep moving around!

I had a gynecologist tell me for 2 years that my pain and other problems were nothing to worry about.
    Eventually I lost bladder control and immediately went to another doctor. He found the fist-sized tumor that was sitting on my bladder, did 2 surgeries, and probably saved my life.

I know how furious I was (still am?) at my original doc, I can't imagine seeing it happen to your baby.

Originally posted by paige
    I had a gynecologist tell me for 2 years that my pain and other problems were nothing to worry about.
    Eventually I lost bladder control and immediately went to another doctor. He found the fist-sized tumor that was sitting on my bladder, did 2 surgeries, and probably saved my life.

I know how furious I was (still am?) at my original doc, I can't imagine seeing it happen to your baby.
    That's amazing... was the tumor cancerous or benign, out of curiosity?

It was malignant, stage 2. Went through 28 radiation treatments at a clinic that was even more apathetic than the original doctor.

Finding a decent doctor is too much like shopping for a good web host, I think. Even if you do all the research, get recommendations, and read the fine print, there's still a lot that can go wrong. Only with a lousy doctor, the consequences can be tragic.

my dad almost died due to a false diagnoses.

one day, he was out on some trails on his bike, and while going down a hill he fell, and got busted up.

he came home not telling us anything, but when he was going to bed he could hardly walk, and he was moaning alot.

so, when he got in bed, he was breathing really hard, and he was sounding really really hurt. It was about 10:00PM, and my mom had gone to bed about 3 hours later. the sound him groaning woke her up, and she called 911 since my dad sounded like he was in terrible pain.

so, ambulances came and my dad went to the hospital. he was examined, and the doctors assumed it was a rib injury. he was tended two, and his ribs were wrapped up, and he was given some vicodin.

a week later, my dad went to the doctor for a post-emergency checkup, the doctor went along with the same idea of a severe rib injury.

Months later, we were driving home from a family gathering. and my dad was coughing, when he was coughing this awful odor was coming from him. My dad pulled over, and my mom drove home.

The next morning, my dad went to another doctor at the center, and she took x-rays. After that, my dad went home.

The next day, i was at school, and the doctor called our house telling my dad to get to a hospital as soon as he could. my dad was saying he could drive there himself, but the doctor pleaded with my dad to call my mom to drive him there.

I came walking home around 2:30PM. When i was walking towards out house, my mom was standing outside waiting for me. She told me that my dad was at the hospital about to go in for surgery. When we got there, my dad was about to go in for surgery. about 3 minutes after we got there, he went in.

About 8 hours later, my dad came out of surgery, and the doctor talked to us.

My dad had a lung abcess. 2 liters of poison was extracted from his lungs. The original doctor should have seen this. If my dad didn't go to the hospital that day, he would have died only a few days later.

I don't remember why, but we couldn't sue the doctor.

Originally posted by paige
    It was malignant, stage 2. Went through 28 radiation treatments at a clinic that was even more apathetic than the original doctor.

Finding a decent doctor is too much like shopping for a good web host, I think. Even if you do all the research, get recommendations, and read the fine print, there's still a lot that can go wrong. Only with a lousy doctor, the consequences can be tragic.
    It's great that the cancer was not more advanced, but it sounds like you went through hell just getting it treated. Doctors and clinics can be just plain annoying and hard to deal with at times, and for that I am often resentful.

that sure has happened to me! quite a similar situation too. i took a fall on a sidewalk and hurt both my knees. i saw a doctor who said i'd just sprained my knees, and i should be better in 2 months tops. well, 2 months later, my knees were still killing me...i went to a different doctor who was like, uh, yr kneecaps aren't in the right place. said i had patello femoral syndrome and severe arthritis thanks to it, and the previous doctor should have sent me to physical therapy.

great! nothing like being crippled for life thanks to a stupid doctor who didn't think i needed physical therapy.

hope yr little one gets better soon, that's awful. i was pushed out of a treehouse at 3 years of age and i broke my arm, it sucks to be so little and break something!
    Marion Morris
    Gravity Squared Media
    Design and Multimedia Solutions

I couldn't change his diaper fast enough before another blow out came around. Of course he had a diaper rash - he was never dry (besides right after a changing).
    too much information! :x

I never had that problem when raising my neice thankfully. It does happen often, but lucky for me I had a good doctor. The only problem is I haven't been to a doctor in about 5 years and the last visit was for shots. Orginally I went to the doctor for pink eye back in 6th grade.
    Kerry Jones

Well he wasn't able to get in to see the Ortho today, because it was just too busy, but they called at around 5pm today, and told me that I have a 7:30am appt tomorrow -- and told me I need his xrays.

So I had to con the xray loan people to give me his xrays so I can take them to the appt (well not totally con - usually they want a good 24 hr notice, but since I just found out about the appt).

Today was the first time I actually saw the xrays. Not as bad as I was thinking it would be. My brain kept on picturing the xrays from the link in my first picture. But then again, it was a teenager - with hard bones. I didn't think about the fact that he has soft bones, and they dont break like a teenagers.

If you weren't a trained radiologist (or have seen xrays before), you would probably missed the break. I'm not sure how bad it is - I know tomorrow.

I doubt they'll have to break it (God willing!!) to set it. I just think they'll set it and put a walking cast type of thing on it (or add that later).

My little trooper!

I'm glad my 5 year old wasn't the one with the broken leg... It would've been murder to try and carry him from the parking garage to the ER (a good 5+ walk - he's 4ft, 60lbs). It was bad enough with my little 27lb 2 year old (and my bad back).

Unfortunately misdiagnoses are really common, to one extent or another. Gone are the days of going to a doctor (of any type), sitting on the exam table, giving your symptoms, and blindly abiding by his/her proclamation of what must be wrong.

Today we have to be our own healthcare consumers. Remember nobody cares about how you feel, as much as you do. Don't hesitate to invest in yourself and follow your gut. If something's wrong and you know it, follow up. Never mind what the first yahoo told you.

Research stuff online -- there are tons of great medical resources online now directly from the top research centers and medical journals. Research to get a better idea of how things work, then work with your doctor for a diagnosis. (Really, resist the temptation to self-diagnose. Really. )

I am sure most of us could share a story or two. I've been there/done that myself, and I see it even more often being that I am in the medical field. The only way to protect yourself is to take charge of your own healthcare, learn everything you can, and be proactive.

I am so sorry to hear of what you guys have all gone through. Healthcare is super frustrating......

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

WebMD + My Doctor do good work for my health needs.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    too much information! :x
    I actually found it rather funny (in a been there, done that sort of way).

Good to hear that it doesn't appear to be as bad as you had feared, rockergrrl. Your son really is a trooper for getting around on that leg for so long.

Good luck to you and him in the morning! Keep us updated!

Only a parent can understand that

Well our appointment was at 7:30am (tryinh to get a boy dressed that doesn't want to wake up at 6:45 in the morning was a chore and a half), and we were out by 8:15.

The doctor is one of the best pediatric orthos in this part of the state. He was so nice -- to him... to me. He (and even the nurses) were a bit fumed at the fact that they didn't do a tib/fib in the ER. My silly son of mine was giving him "the eye" the whole time - at least in the exam room. He was tired... and it was a stranger. So he really didn't want anything to do with him. But he's like that with all strangers though (which is good )

He said the fracture wasn't a prominant one. If you didn't know what you were looking for, you would probably miss it. He has some slight bone strain on his tibia, and has a crack near his growth plate.

They casted him, then and there. 5 minutes in the casting room and he was done. It took longer for the cast to harded than it took for them to do it (they didn't have to set anything since it wasn't a total fracture).

He'll be in the cast for 5 weeks or so. Going back in a week for a followup xray to see how everything is starting to heal.

This morning, he's trying to get a hang of the heavy cast that is weighing him down. He hasn't tried to walk on it - I think he's too afraid to (afraid of the pain, etc). But with the cast, the Dr said, he wont be in pain as much as he would without it.

That is GREAT news. I am so glad it was not worst than it was. Though the ER doctor should be ashamed of him self. Tonya how did you hurt your back??

My back was a freak accident back in 2001. Trying to squeeze through a doorway, with a decently sized person in the way.

My back was at just the right angle - tension, and I bumped into the door frame, and it tore a ligament in my lower back.

I didn't know about it, until about a week or so later. When I lost my husband (and my then 13 month old) in a store. They had the cart. So I was wondering around trying to find them, and doubled in pain. The pain was so bad that I thought I was going to pass out (and throw up - yes it was that bad).

Went to the Dr 2 days later, and they told me that I tore a ligament in my back (a little lower than my waist). Only rest and time would heal it.

Well, it hasn't healed. Granted its not as bad as it was. But it still can be a killer.

Being that the ligament is no longer supporting the verts, they lay right on top of each other when I walk. Which cases horrible pain and pressure. I can't even go into the grocery store without a cart to lean on.

So the walk to the ER was horrible. I had to sit down and rest 3 times. Unfortunatly, they don't have attendants in the parking garage. They have valet, but I didn't have any money (its free... but if I don't have money for a tip, I don't do anything like that).

I've gotten a wrong diagnosis before.
    I was about... 10 or so at the time, I don't remember exactly, maybe a bit older. We were on a family trip to Tampa Bay, Florida, and on the car ride there, my stomach started to hurt pretty badly. By the time we were there, it was still hurting, so my parents took me to the ER, fearing it could be apendicitis. (I believe it was on only one side of the stomach). The ER people did lots of blood tests, poked and prodded me, and concluded that I had apendicitis, and I'd have surgery the next morning. Due to the proximity of the hotel and the hospital, they asked whether we wanted to stay in the ER all night or get some sleep at the hotel and come back in the morning.
    The next morning, I woke up... perfectly fine. No pain, nothing. Turns out I must've just had some stomach pain, the day before. They charged us alot for all the tests in the ER. I don't think we paid, but being as how I was 10, I don't remember much at all about how it worked out after that.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    [email protected]
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

I work in a Laboratory. Sometimes I'm amazed at how the physicians will look for what the patient doesn't have and not look for what he does have.

I think a law should be passed where a person doesnt have to pay if a diagnosis is wrong. Maybe then, Doctors would clean up their act a little better. I mean come on, this "step on a rusty nail & get diagnosed as having a hernia instead of a tet shot" kind of crap has to stop.

I have this small knot/bump on the top of my head. I have a very high pain tolerance. An example is that as a kid, I cut out several warts I had when medical trips failed to removed them. To this day, those warts have not come back.

Well as you know, a cut on the head bleed a lot and looks a lot worse than it really is. My wife had a fit when I went to cut it out. It was a little sack with thick puss. I found there were two, and I got one out. My wife and mother in law wouldnt leave me alone to get the other out and demanded I go to the ER. SO they Xray, cant see anything on it. Dermine it's just fatty tissue and will go away in a few weeks.... all the wile, it's been there most of my life. I tell them I want it out, they say no, they dont do surgery. WTF???

I didnt pay them. I went there to get it out, not to have a stitch put in and it sealed back up. As far as I'm concerned, sealing the cut is as much surgery as opening it up a little more and pulling the other out. Like I have said before, I am old school on a lot of things.

WARNING: DONT TRY THIS AT HOME

I once broke a finger in a door. You could tell it was out of place. So I cut a hole in a panel the width and size of my finger with a jig, and put a spotlight behind it. Place my hand there with my finger overlapping the hole, and you could see the bone outline fairly clearly. Almost as clear as an Xray(but hot) I pulled my finger, seperated at the break, put it back in place, and bandaged it. It healed great. To go to a doctor or ER would have cost me a pretty penny.

I dont believe in wasting money on doctors. They dont care about you, only how much money they can make from you. Plus I dont like having to be to an appointment at 2PM, only to wait to hours before seeing someone..... I dont have that time to waste. I can take car of myself without it costing a fortune unless it's something a lot more serious.

One misdiagnosis of a patient (not me) stands out in my mind. Fortunately no one was harmed because the treatment for the wrong thing was also correct treatment for what he had. It was early 1983, and I was assigned to Virology Lab at Naval Hospital San Diego. Virology Lab was doing the testing for Legionella, which isn't really virology, but we were equiped to do IFA (indirect fluorescent antibody) testing. For some strange reason I could never feel confident reading the IFA's. The control slides never looked distinct to me. But we got a patient with atypical pneumonia, who was responding well to treatment with erythromycin. Given this information, others in Virology did the IFA on his acute serum and pronounced it positive. They were also doing DFA (direct fluorescent antibody staining) on sputum and pronouncing those positive. Everyone was patting each other on the back for having diagnosed the first case of Legionaire's disease in years--the first one in San Diego.
    Then a marvelous thing happened. We ran out of prepared Legionella IFA test slides, and I made a batch of new ones. And when I made the new slides and ran the QC sera on them, I finally found out what a good IFA slide is supposed to look like.
    Then the ward sent us the convalescent serum. With the positive and negative controls distinctly readable, I was fully confident that the convalescent serum I was testing was negative for antibodies to Legionella. That was impossible if his acute serum was positive. But it was true. And his convalescent serum gave a nice distinct reaction when we did the complement fixation for Mycoplasma, which by the way is the most common cause of atypical pneumonia and happens to be susceptable to erythromycin. Repeat samples confirmed it. Virology Lab had been falsely reporting positive results for Legionella because that's what the physicians wanted to hear.

Some time after this, for reasons that were never stated out loud, it was decided that Virology should be relieved of Legionella testing, and Serology Section could use the same fluorescent microscope they've had all along for doing ANA and FTA to start doing the Legionella testing too. I was of course rewarded with a performance evaluation that said I'm not a team player. I'm not making this up.

I remember not to long ago really a doctor gave a kid the wrong medication to take, and well the kid was killed because of it (not sure what it was). Well the doctor was kicked out of the hospital, and sued last I heard. Personally I think a doctor should take the time to look over a client. If a client is saying something is hurting in the left foot that does not mean to look in the head!

About 15+ years ago, working evening shift at VA Med Ctr Danville, Illinois I got a call from one of the University of Illinois residents asking about the morning chemistries on a patient. It was before we were completely computerized, and I combed through the worksheets and found nothing. So he said he wanted it drawn and run stat. I got to the ward, and the nurse told me that the patient had died the previous day. Twilight Zone stuff? No. The resident obviously was relying on Lab results to create the illusion of care without bothering to look at the patient, look at the patient's chart, or even ask the nurses about the patient's condition.
    I wrote an Incident Report on that one.